No announcement yet.

New guy from Mooresville, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had a garage until 2006, so I had to store my XS750 outside or under awnings for the first 16 years I owned it.

After that, I fixed it up and it looks and runs nice now.

I am trying send encouragement. You can make it nice again, especially if you polish the aluminum covers and replace the cover bolts with stainless steel equivalents.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	32CB6521-86CB-4F89-B04E-8C0FF54CD189.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	864677 Click image for larger version

Name:	A6BCDC4A-EB52-467A-BDDA-23F057E7A4B5.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	864676 Some pictures of current condition
      79 F

Comment

It has 20k miles on the odometer. I’m sure it’s accurate
        79 F

Comment

Originally posted by CLTBLUESMAN View Post
          Well. Fast forward to today. The bike was originally in MD. However it got transported to TX when my father passed. It was not stored good. It has suffered. I bought it home to NC this week. I have the bike and the Vetter Sidecar. I might be over my head. The bike looks bad. It sat kinda outside in TX for maybe five years under a shed roof. This might be a big money pit. I’ll ask for advice. It’s a shame though. I’ll put some pictures up.
          I don't know anything about hooking up Sidecars to an xs11, but I certainly enjoyed riding in SlowMo's sidecar on his xs1100 in Canada. Grand FUN BIG SMILE riding down the highway in his sidecar.

As for your bike, many of us would classify that to be an xs1100 in excellent condition very worthy of being brought back to safe roadworthy riding condition. It all depends on whether you have the Time and Inclination to work on it. As mentioned, there are great resources and help available here if you want to get it running, or just get it ridable, or get back to nice condition and truly roadworthy. All depends on what you want the end result to be. Local rides or LD trips. Pristine condition or a real runner that doesn't look all that great.

WELCOME .............................

Jeff

(get it running and ride it to Stecoah September 24-26 for our annual Rally).
          In the Forum click Rallies then Southeast and Open 20th Annual Got 4 months to get your xs11 for the Rally.
          Last edited by JeffH; 05-05-2021, 06:05 AM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Shed in TX leaves things in much better shape than shed storage up north. Pour a couple of oz of marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and let it soak before you try to turn her over by hand. Make a list to see what you think it will take to get running (my estimate having just revived one is $1500-2g), do you know if a mechanical issue made him park it? After you have your list and shop for all the parts then decide if you're up for the task. Welcome and good luck.
            1979 XS1100 Special
            1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
            1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
            1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Thanks. It’s still on the trailer under my canopy. I used to ride lots of miles on my K1 750 Honda 40 years ago. I was fearless then. I rode steady between 1973 and 1985. That being said the last time I rode was 20 years ago. The last time before that was 30 years ago. When I rode 30 years ago, I was on the beltway in Baltimore and I looked down at the concrete and started to have a mini anxiety thoughts. When I rode 20 years ago to Great Falls around DC, I was fine, however we didn’t go on the interstate.

So I guess what I’m saying is, I’m not interested in long trips. I’d be happy just to drive it down Mainstreet here in Mooresville NC or out in the country on a sunny day. That be about it. So I think I don’t need the Vetter fairing or sidecar. I just kinda need it back to stock so that I can take it every so often for a little fun.

So if anyone is looking for a sidecar and fairing and saddle bags etc, let me know. I don’t know where the saddle bags are. I think them and the trunk are in MD. But I do have the side car and the fairing here. I’m not sure however if I have the complete sidecar linkage to the motorcycle. I’m sure it’s around if I don’t have it here.

79 F

Comment

Also the keys have been misplaced as well as the Kickstarter. Or maybe the kickstart is hidden somewhere on the frame. All I see is a splined shaft.
                79 F

Comment

Key can be had in the internet with the code from the lock. Kickstarter lever gets stored under the battery tray. The one side cover uses the key to hold it on, don't break it trying to pry it off.
                  1979 XS1100 Special
                  1987 ZL1000 Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                    Key can be had in the internet with the code from the lock. Kickstarter lever gets stored under the battery tray. The one side cover uses the key to hold it on, don't break it trying to pry it off.
                    I broke one right side cover. I don’t have the other.
                    79 F

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

I don't know anything about hooking up Sidecars to an xs11, but I certainly enjoyed riding in SlowMo's sidecar on his xs1100 in Canada. Grand FUN BIG SMILE riding down the highway in his sidecar.

As for your bike, many of us would classify that to be an xs1100 in excellent condition very worthy of being brought back to safe roadworthy riding condition. It all depends on whether you have the Time and Inclination to work on it. As mentioned, there are great resources and help available here if you want to get it running, or just get it ridable, or get back to nice condition and truly roadworthy. All depends on what you want the end result to be. Local rides or LD trips. Pristine condition or a real runner that doesn't look all that great.

WELCOME .............................

Jeff

(get it running and ride it to Stecoah September 24-26 for our annual Rally).
                      In the Forum click Rallies then Southeast and Open 20th Annual Got 4 months to get your xs11 for the Rally.
                      Ok I just saw this rally is right here in NC. So I’m gonna try and see if I can get it running. I think my Dad mentioned carb issue was why he parked it. I’ll try my best to get it going. Is anyone else in NC that I can call on for guidance? Thanks for your encouragement!
                      79 F

Comment

I know a guy https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...4895718/about/ I have used him with great success over the years. They take time though being that this is a busy time of year for him and parts may not show up overnight due to Covid. If you want to have a go at them yourself read up thoroughly because there are delicate parts that can junk a carb body if you get too rough with them. I think he charges a fair rate and they are bolt on and run with only minor adjustment for balancing.

Cycle keys online $11 plus shipping will take care of your missing key in less than a week.
                        1979 XS1100 Special
                        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator

Comment

John,

I sent you a PM yesterday so if you want, check your Messages (top right in the banner between Notifications and Sign In

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

So sorry it was neglected like that. And you're right-it's a money pit.
                            Find a young kid who has the time, desire and inclination to try to bring 'er back to life.
                            Damned shame. ( stored properly it would have been a nice project )
                            But hey, what do I know? I'm an over-the-hill old bastage.
                            I was fortunate to find a very pristine '81 on CL and made the trek ( couple days ) to get it. First owner took his bride to Canuckia on it for their honeymoon.
                            THey had both obviously cared about it. I paid $2200 for it. It's 40+ years old and people ask me if it's new...though it does have 21,000 mile on 'er.
                            THe covid bs prevented me from registering it in the state I was in at the time and a year later ( almost to the day ) I got 2 years reg for less than $90 and no penalty for not registering it.
                            What's it going to cost to restore your $5,000 bike?
                            I wish you nothing but the best!

Comment

Hi there. Another new guy on this forum here. From Calgary /AB/Canada. I got few xs11. 2 running - 2 waiting to be put together. More to come(Im afraid 😱)...

Comment

Working...
                              X