New guy from Mooresville, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy from Mooresville, NC

Hey Y'all, I am a new member who just got my credentials! I am happy to join, and look forward to being a part of this forum. My 83 year old father just gave me his 1979 XS11 that he purchased new in late 1978. He loves that bike. He also bought a Vetter Terraplane, that matched perfectly. It has been sitting in his garage since I know 1993 at least. So it has not been ridden in 20 years. It has 20k in mileage thereabouts.

I recall that I took it for a spin shortly after he got it. I had an old Honda K1 model 750, that I loved and ran great. After I rode Dad's I got on mine and it felt like a mini-bike. I was never satisfied with it again. It felt like it could not get out of it's own way after that.

I recall my Dad remarking "John, it's not a question of power any-more, it is whether I got the balls or not".

Anyway I look forward to trailering it from MD to NC and getting it back on the road.

Thanks for maintaining this group, because if you guys hadn't of been doing it, I would not be here today, sharing this with fellow XS11 lovers!

Sincerely,
    John Yutzy, Mooresville, NC. Race City, USA!!
    79 F

Welcome aboard my friend, plenty of knowledge here to get you rolling right.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

79 wow

Welcome !!!!!

What a great story, your dad passing the XS11 to you !

Make it right and as you know be careful !!!!!
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Where is it in Maryland?
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

It is in MT. Savage, other side of the mountain from Frostburg
          79 F

Comment

I was hoping it was near me so I could get a look at it.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

All right , another member in NC. Welcome
              Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
              Current rides:
              80 XS1100SG
              82 JX1100
              83 Venture Royale
              86 V-Max

Comment

yeppers y'all found the right place...Welcome to Ch11
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by CLTBLUESMAN View Post
                  Hey Y'all, I am a new member who just got my credentials! I am happy to join, and look forward to being a part of this forum. My 83 year old father just gave me his 1979 XS11 that he purchased new in late 1978. He loves that bike. He also bought a Vetter Terraplane, that matched perfectly. It has been sitting in his garage since I know 1993 at least. So it has not been ridden in 20 years. It has 20k in mileage thereabouts.

I recall that I took it for a spin shortly after he got it. I had an old Honda K1 model 750, that I loved and ran great. After I rode Dad's I got on mine and it felt like a mini-bike. I was never satisfied with it again. It felt like it could not get out of it's own way after that.

I recall my Dad remarking "John, it's not a question of power any-more, it is whether I got the balls or not".

Anyway I look forward to trailering it from MD to NC and getting it back on the road.

Thanks for maintaining this group, because if you guys hadn't of been doing it, I would not be here today, sharing this with fellow XS11 lovers!

Sincerely,
                  John Yutzy, Mooresville, NC. Race City, USA!!
                  Hi John and welcome,
                  you got the complete XS1100/Terraplane rig or just the bike?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Complete

I have both the bike and the Terraplane sitting in his garage in MD. As soon as I can line up a trailer I will be going to get them.
                    79 F

Comment

Welcome to the site. Too bad you can get the bike on the road by the end of next month so you can meet many of us at the XS SE rally in the smokey mts.

I found the terraplane manual on vetter's site:
                      http://www.craigvetter.com/images/Ve...e%20Manual.pdf
                      also if you don't have a manual, CatatonicBug has one on his site here:
                      http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

There's a few XSives in your neck of the woods, I'm sure they may offer up some hands-on help if you need it, just ask, we're all fairly friendly here.

Oh, and Fred is probably going to become one of your best friends! He loves sidecars!
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

Md

DPotter 58

Let me know where you are in MD and on the way back I can take the Eastern Route and stop by.
                        79 F

Comment

Welcome John from NC

Sounds like you will have plenty to do to your new toy having sat for so long. I came here as a newbie a couple of years ago looking for information on my newly purchased XS1100 Special.

I found more information and how-to procedures from all the guys here than you will ever get out of a Yamaha or Chilton's manual. My questions were answered quickly and with great detail. I have greatly appreciated all of the help that I receive from everyone here.

You can move forward with confidence as you will be able to find a fix to correct any problems right here. We look forward to assisting you.

MP
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Exactly what he just said. I came here last year after buy a 79 special for $500. I went and looked at it, one owner bike that passed away. I knew him as a kid and actually rode the bike in a field in like 1989. Well, the bike would not hit when I went to look at it. I pulled one spark plug, sprayed in some starting fluid and It hit so I said, "I'll give you $500". Went home and they called me so I went back and got it. These guys here are the best. After 4 hours it was running and haven't looked back since. Have had to fix a few things like clutch springs and fork seals. Didn't even need to look at any manual, these guys led me through everthing. Catonic bug has manuals for free to download in his sig. Good luck and hope you can make it to the rally, it will be my first one too.
                            Jeff
                            77 XS750 2D completely stock
                            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Well. Fast forward to today. The bike was originally in MD. However it got transported to TX when my father passed. It was not stored good. It has suffered. I bought it home to NC this week. I have the bike and the Vetter Sidecar. I might be over my head. The bike looks bad. It sat kinda outside in TX for maybe five years under a shed roof. This might be a big money pit. I’ll ask for advice. It’s a shame though. I’ll put some pictures up.
                              79 F

Comment

Working...
                              X