Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet relining?

Greetings,

I got to thinking about my SHOEI helmet and the old lining. Did a search on helmet relining on net and was depressed by the end of the first page. It seems like the only thing being relined are skull caps. Not my cup of tea.

Anyone here ever relined a full face helmet or had one done??? It seems a waste to toss a spotless shell over 5 dollars of foam and fabric.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
    Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Did the same search a few years ago. Have an older Simpson that I love but the inside is ratty.

I think you find little about this because of the liability issue of refurbishing older technology.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I believe the lining and all is part of the DOT rated assembly. So for anyone to alter it would alter the DOT approval. Not that I agree with that, just that is how the lawyers look at it.

To show how crazy the lawyers can get, my son's Boy Scout troop goes to the Smokey Mountains every other year and we stay in the Elkmont campground. We bring our own tire tubes for floating in the creeks and streams. There is a store int he campground that has an air compressor, two years ago we used it to inflate our tubes at $1 a tube. This year, no can do. They can inflate your car tires, your air mattress, even you love me tender doll, but if it is for use on the creeks, rivers, and streams, they are not allowed to let you use their air compressor to inflate it for liability reasons.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I suspect that there is more to it than just the rating system.

You can buy retread tires.
        Would you think that with any advancement in synthetics it would be safer and would be a benefit.
        I'm not arguing...Just sayin'... Nothing seem to make sense anymore when it comes to litigation. Have a friend that has a "Drive Thru" coffee shop. Some guy in a wheelchair that runs around with his lawyer and sues under the ADA sues him because it didn't have handicap access. Forced my friend into a big settlement.

Most new helmets look like they were painted graffitti on skateboard shop wall. The look might fit if you ride around on a motorcycle that has you humped over a gas tank.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Got same issue with my helmet. Don't want to start any No Helmet debate, but its state law to wear one here in GA so lets leave it at that.

So, why nobody doing refurbish:
          It seems to be an issue with the degradation & lifespan of the EPS (Polyurethane) liner. Shrinkage?? That plus validating the structural integrity of the shell itself. Likely the helmet manufacturers have a lock on the specific engineered foam blends that absorbs impact of human skull vs that for a pc or refrigerator in a carton. just guessing! Scam if it the same stuff but I don't think so since helmet foam density is much different. Shell spreads the surface area of the impact, while EPS liner keeps your skull from becoming a busted egg.

Here is what Shoei says:
          Through the interaction of the strength and the elasticity of the various materials, the AIM shell has been designed in such a way that the effect of an impact is absorbed and distributed over the largest possible area so that it may be more easily absorbed by the EPS liner. Thus, the shell and the EPS liner may show damage from deformation after an impact, but the head of the rider is given the maximum amount of protection as a result. Heavy, hard helmet shells do not have this ability and direct the energy from an impact without any reduction into the inside of the helmet. In many cases, the shell may be undamaged, but head injuries are much more likely.

WHEN SHOULD A HELMET BE REPLACED?
          The life of a helmet depends on how it is used. A helmet should be replaced if one or more of the following points apply:

1. There was a fall that resulted in an impact on the helmet.

2. The helmet fits looser than when it was purchased (EPS LINER) due to frequent use.

3. The EPS liner has come away from the helmet shell.

4. The EPS liner shows signs of wear and is beginning to break up, or if it has been exposed to heat or a solvent and has melted.

I also have an old helmet I like but that styrofoam EPS liner is so compressed from squeezing my skull and dry rotting in the sun that the helmet isn't really safe if I took a spill. Outer shell probably ok, but per the diagram above I likely bust my skull and scramble the innards because the foam is way beyond its lifespan. Time to check out good end-of-summer sale on Helmets??

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I have an Arai. The lining comes out for cleaning. Humidity rots the foam. I keep my helmet in air conditioned space. I always put something on my head before I put on the helmet. It protects the liner from my greasy head.

From the Arai site:
            But even a helmet as good as an Arai won't last forever.

Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why? Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll. Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition. The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did. This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed. If a helmet suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection or discarded and replaced.

These are the reasons to replace your helmet after five years. Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or damaged, it should be replaced before the five year mark. And when you do, you may want to remember that Arai was the first company willing to warranty its helmets for the full Snell-recommended usable lifespan.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Buy a New One.

Yes, relining is a no-no so say the manufacturers. They cannot vouch for the reliability unless made as a new assembly. No more than m/c helmets cost, time for a new one. And you should look at a new one like Marty suggests that has a Snell rating. Ones without it are junk.

I used to think m/c helmets were expensive until I saw what a racing (i.e. drag racing) helmet costs. They have a particular Snell rating and replacement is mandatory every few years. These helmets are much more protective (rating wise) than our bike helmets. One would think motorcycle helmet requirements would be more stringent???

MP
              Last edited by MPittma100; 07-31-2013, 05:55 PM.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Form what I read, Snell rating is not the best option for a street motorcyclist. The type of impacts typical on motorcycles is better absorbed through a DOT rated helmet. The reasoning was that the helmet needs to absorb the impact. Most motorcycle accidents were at slower speeds than racing and a Snell rated helmet may resist the impact, but more internal damage is realized due to the helmet being harder/stronger. I don't know if this is true....but I did read it on the Internet.lol
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Good to Know

Makes sense to me.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Found this looking around the net... No word whether the rider made it or not. Some new padding, and this helmet will be as good as new!

Without a helmet, that's your skull.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If all that guy was wearing was that helmet you could proly turn that helmet a bit and see all that is left of him.

The helmet choices that don't look like a airbrush advertisement are getting pretty slim.
                      So goes the search....

Thanks for the input,
                      Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                      X