Blue paint for 81H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue paint for 81H

I'd like to do a little paint repair on the tank for my 81H. Just touch up some of the spots that are bare metal. I'm not looking to do an entire repaint. Does anyone have a recommendation on paint that will sorta match? Maybe Rustoleum Navy Blue or Ford Dark Blue engine enamel? The engine enamel is supposed to be gas and oil resistant. I know it won't be (mildly) metallic like the original, but at least it's better than leaving it bare metal to rust.

Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Spray Gloss Navy Blue, Rust-Oleum Enamel Ford Dark Blue

And anything for the gold pin striping? I'm thinking a little bottle of the gold leaf paint. Again, not going for perfection (there are enough things standing in the way of that), just looking to make things a little better. Thanks.

'81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

They call the 81 H color Indigo Blue, tried finding some last winter and had no luck. I was just painting a side cover. Settled on a dark blue and it wasn't the best match.
    81 H

Comment

Someone had mentioned that a 2000 Toyota blue comes very close to that dark blue almost black color. I have not used it myself so I can't say for sure.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, I'll check out the Toyota blue color. There are a lot of spots that would be most appropriately addressed with a touch-up brush, so one of the little touch-up bottles might be just the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
          Thanks, I'll check out the Toyota blue color. There are a lot of spots that would be most appropriately addressed with a touch-up brush, so one of the little touch-up bottles might be just the ticket.
          2000 Toyota Carbon Blue-Black IS the exact color match for the Venturer. Matched up the color at a local automotive paint store, and they mixed up the paint into a rattle can. That is a single-stage color with no catylist, and woked perfectly on my Venturer's side-covers laying smooth as glass using primer for plastics from automotive paint store.. That was some 7yrs. ago. Now, that type of application with the rattle can is offered with an attached catylist. You will need that or clear-coat if you expect the paint to stay on the tank. Touching up certain spots with a brush can be done by spraying the same mixed up color in a small lid of some sort then apply with a brush. Actually, based on my experience, the tank will look much better if left alone cept maybe for the rust spots. The pin-stripe on tank is of a reflective nature, so may be hard to match. Replacement grafics for the Venturer tank do occassionally pop up on the bay, occasionally being reproduced.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            2000 Toyota Carbon Blue-Black IS the exact color match for the Venturer. Matched up the color at a local automotive paint store, and they mixed up the paint into a rattle can. That is a single-stage color with no catylist, and woked perfectly on my Venturer's side-covers laying smooth as glass using primer for plastics from automotive paint store.. That was some 7yrs. ago. Now, that type of application with the rattle can is offered with an attached catylist. You will need that or clear-coat if you expect the paint to stay on the tank.
            Thanks, I'll check it out. I found some pictures with that color, and it indeed looks like the match. However they all look much better than even the "good" paint on the tank.

Touching up certain spots with a brush can be done by spraying the same mixed up color in a small lid of some sort then apply with a brush. Actually, based on my experience, the tank will look much better if left alone cept maybe for the rust spots.
            Yeah, I cleaned up the tank a bit more, and doing any touch up is going to be like putting lipstick on a pig. I was washing the tank in my bath tub, and I got some water inside. I did my best to dry it out, but I got a little surface rust anyway. damn, damn, damn!!! Shoulda hit it with alcohol and/or WD-40.

The pin-stripe on tank is of a reflective nature, so may be hard to match. Replacement grafics for the Venturer tank do occassionally pop up on the bay, occasionally being reproduced.
            How did you guess the decals have issues? They are starting to crack, and I guess you can see a bit of that in one of the pictures.

The "YAMAHA" badges also are pretty far gone. The paint wore off and the plastic is starting to crack and crumble. I should probably just go for some of the OE or golf cart ones.

Comment

Working...
            X