Beware Lorelia's free gift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware Lorelia's free gift.

When I open the list (and not this site alone) a little questionnaire pops up instead.
    As a reward for answering a few simple questions I will be gifted with a free sample (worth over $100) of a skin care product for just $5.99 postage.
    My skin being past redemption I clicked past the annoying thing.
    Alas, my wife fell for it and sent off for her "free sample"
    A few days later the package arrives, mebbe a half-cup of cold cream in a fancy jar.
    3 weeks later my wife's credit card is hit for the full price.
    Complaints to Visa and to the supplier get the same reply:-
    "It's what you agreed to." And so she had.
    I just opened the XS11 site and the same questionnaire appears again.
    This time I go through it with extreme care.
    Immediately before the final click that puts their bucket into your money well
    their final screen has several lines of faded grey writing in very small print which nobody over 30 could read without a magnifier that say:-
    "If you do not return the product within 14 days we will bill you for it and send another one every month"
    This selling tactic is as near to outright fraud as the perpetrators can legally get away with and I'm ashamed that the owners would permit it on this site
    Last edited by fredintoon; 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Never

Have not seen nor heard of that here?

MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I don't see any ads here. EVER.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Fred,

Your computer is most likely infected with Spyware, Browser Hijack type files, etc., seeing how your SWMBO was gullible to the Advert(from some other browser helper object/hijack programming), she may have also clicked on other Phishing type links that got your system infected!? We do NOT have any adverts linked to our site at all!!!!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Fred,

Your computer is most likely infected with Spyware, Browser Hijack type files, etc., seeing how your SWMBO was gullible to the Advert(from some other browser helper object/hijack programming), she may have also clicked on other Phishing type links that got your system infected!? We do NOT have any adverts linked to our site at all!!!!!

T.C.
          At least you don't need to feel ashamed now, Fred!
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            At least you don't need to feel ashamed now, Fred!
            I don't know James, with skin in the condition his must be in, not having benefitted from the magical properties of the afore mention cream, (and riding a hack in cold weather,) may be he should still feel ashamed.

Comment

Ha ha ha ha

http://youtu.be/j3aYZSAyEuM
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Fix

Hi Fred,

If you don't already have one, you might need to get an anti-virus program loaded onto that computer before it gets worse. A free one is "Microsoft Security Essentials" (free download from Microsoft site). Don' wait until you actually acquire a virus or it will cost $ to get rid of it.

MP
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Fred,

T.C.
                  Hi TC,
                  the link my wife used was parasited on her bank's website fer chrissake.
                  I'd have thought that nobody could use another's website as a springboard unless they had permission.
                  Silly me.
                  A lesson to us all:-read the small print
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I think I would be talking to the banker about the possibility that they got account info if I was you. Personal info can go a long way in this day and age and phishing sites are all over the place. Click on one wrong site that looks like your normal banking site and they have all they need to bankrupt you and destroy everything you have worked all these years to obtain.
                    It is silly how easily they can change one simple letter or sign in their address and make it look like a legitimate site. Ask your banker to do a check to be sure your credit info has not been checked or any unauthorized purchases have been made. Ask him to do it again in a couple of weeks to be "more" sure.
                    Identity thieves are scum, and they will stop at nothing.
                    Not to lay the blame on your wife at all but if she ordered the face cream what else could she have clicked on that was not kosher?
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

That is what I love about this site, besides all the great people and advice, is there is no ads.
                      Jeff
                      77 XS750 2D completely stock
                      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Fred, I don't think you got the jist of what Topcat told you. It's not the sites that are infected, it's your computer. So everytime you go on the internet this malware is invoked and you get the messages. In addition to MS Security Essentials, MS has a malware removal tool that is very effective.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                          Fred, I don't think you got the jist of what Topcat told you. It's not the sites that are infected, it's your computer. So everytime you go on the internet this malware is invoked and you get the messages. In addition to MS Security Essentials, MS has a malware removal tool that is very effective.
                          Hi Cobia,
                          got shiny new computer loaded with anti-virus stuff.
                          And it ain't every time and it ain't every site.
                          Which led me to suppose the thing was parasite-riding into my computer from outside.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey again Fred,

As was stated, these friggin' identity theives spoof legitimate websites and send you email messages like "Your credit info was possibly compromised, please LOG IN and verify", etc., and provide a log in link in an email, and the email looks and says like it came from your bank company, with authentic logos and such, and the site the link takes you to looks exactly like your banks real log in home page....but of course the URL code is slightly different, by just a letter or number, you even get the little "LOCK" showing in your browser being on an HTTPS type site, but it's all fake, and once you log in, they then have your account log in info....and they are off to the races to steal your "LIFE"! AND NO antivirus/spyware will protect you from this type of activity.

SO....I would ask your SWMBO if she has followed any type of banking email link or such.....and if so...then I would get busy checking and changing your bank account info and such! Good Luck!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                            X