Bad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad day

We had a bad wind storm here last night and lost power. A big part of Tulsa.

Sitting here after work now still no power,no AC, No refrigerator sweating drinking warm beer. All the stores ar sold out of ice and I'm fat fingering this post from my phone.

Sometimes life just blows.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Damn. That sucks. Nothing worse than warm beer. You don't have a generator?
    79 SF

Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?

1983 GL1100 bored to a 1300 sold
    1976cb750 project gifted to brother
    1979 xs1100s currently working on

Wanting to have that head turner that makes people shut up!

Comment

I was going to say something about fat fingering things but I am going to leave it alone......

At least it isn't -20.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry, that’s tuff and I bet there is not a cold front heading your way either. I hope by the time you read this post the power will be back on.

The Other Earl
        80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
        and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Back in 2008 we had a big guster come through. We went with no power for about 3-4 days. Lots of folks were out for a week or more. Just empty the fridges and freezers into the garbage.

Hope yours gets fixed sooner.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

All I gotta say... while sitting here in my ice cold A/C, drinking ice cold beer out of a mug taken straight from my ice cold freezer is...

Sucks to be you! lol.

Hope the juice comes back on before the stuff in the fridge goes bad. If you're fat fingering things, even the warm beer works. Run a cold bath and sit in there drinking your warm beer.
            Last edited by trbig; 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's a bummer, but it brings to mind how "civilized" we've become. Brutal when it's hot in the summer, deadly when it's the winter and you don't have a heat source. Sometimes I'm glad I'm a semi-prepper. Have a wood stove as I live in a temperate climate and it doesn't get super hot here. Have food supplies to last a month, and can probably get by for a couple months on my own. Hang in there, sucks to be the slave of the power company!
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

The comiseration and thoughtfulness of TRbig is underwhelming. ( As I watch my wife make Chocolate cupcakes to be washed down with Ice Cold milk.)
                Ole Burp Jack
                J.D."Jack" Smith
                1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                1978E straight job
                "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Sorry to see that Greg, as mentioned I hope your food don't go bad, your days away from unlimited ice colds ones as long as that weather don't follow you. Hang in there !!
                  81 H

Comment

Originally posted by dondons1984 View Post
                    Damn. That sucks. Nothing worse than warm beer. You don't have a generator?
                    Hi Dondon, The only thing worse than WARM Beer is NO Beer.
                    Greg I hope your power is back on soon.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I hear yah Greg, hopefully soon! Oddly enough, before I re-wired my box for my generator, when the power went out (often from cars hitting poles, etc.), Comcast (tv provider) would drop a generator in-front of my house to power their box on the pole, and told me I could plug in with no issues. Chocolate cupcakes sounds good now!
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

We were without power for almost 3 weeks when (I think it was) sandy hit. Before that we had a big storm and was out about 8 days. Now they have cut all the trees away from the lines a long way back. It looks horrible around here in the wood where power lines are but at least another tree wont fall on them. I bought one of those really little power inverters from walmart with the little alligator clips and hooked it to my battery on my car and ran my car constantly for something like 4 days. I know that kill the catalytic converter but I had power to run the fans, lights, tv, dvd player and it was a lot cheaper on gas than a generator. It wouldn't run my refrigerator though. I think that was the best $14 think it was I ever spent.
                        Jeff
                        77 XS750 2D completely stock
                        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Hey y'all, thanks. Power came back on last night about 10 and there was a loud buzzing and it went back off. I guess the boys fixing the lines missed a big something before they flipped the switch back on.

Anyway, it came back on around 12 and stayed on. Ac works, beer is cold again but the milk is frozen solid. I stuck it in the freezer to keep it from spoiling and forgot about it till this morning. Milkcicle.

When we had the big ice storm a few years ago I had no power for 10 days. It was cold out but my furnace still worked. Don't ask me how. It's an old floor type furnace. Now electric fan but I don't know how the thermostat kept working without juice.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                          X