Stupidity 101: What not to do-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidity 101: What not to do-

And so..... having nod going to be able to ride for a few days. I decided to turn the petcocks to off. 3 days later...(today), I go to start Exodia up and go get some gas. She cranks, and I see gas come out of the exhaust. Thinking that it a serious problem i decided that it would be in my best intersts to go for a ride ad see if anything else was wrong. Good ride. No problems. Get gas. Come home. Back into garage. Flip Petcocks.....and relalize,....last time I turned them to prime and not off.

Totally Bass Ackwards.

Please feel free to add ur bass ackward moments.
    L. G.
    1979 XS1100SF
    Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
    1988 CBR600F Hurricane
    Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
    198x XS850
    -no name yet-

Here is something that has happened to I say more than a few.How many has rode off with the kickstand down?Or the bike won`t start-run the battery down and trouble shoot/say bad words and then past wits end discovered that the kill switch is in the off position?These things have happened to me,I confess Sort like mowing the yard and the lawnmower starts missing.You see the problem a plugwire about to fall off the plug.What do you with out thinking?You got it.Shocking isn`t it.
    Bill Harvell

Comment

Have ridden away with the kickstand down, yes.

But one time I was getting off of my first bike,(73 cb750), to close the garage door, and heard an awful crunch, forgot to put the damn stand down. Terrible sound.
      1979 xs1100sf
      1972 cb500 four

Comment

Hey, Hogue, you out there?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Confession time

Like the time the guy washing his car at the garage was looking over lustfully at the XS.....

Filled up with petrol... gunned the engine and let it growl nicely across to the exit......

"Now I'll show him".... Took off onto the main road with gusto.... rear tyre hit the centre of the road.... diesel..... spun me 180 deg then spat me off into the road..... I was SOOOO glad that I'd pulled into a BIG gap in the traffic!

Doh
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Was having carb problems with my first bike (I was 17) so went to the local bike shop where there had to be 35 people standing around. I pulled in, didn't put the stand down and promptly dropped it on the side.
            1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

my dumber was a lesson in wearing gear. Beautiful hot summers day, really hot .was young and took a ride to sauble beach on the xs. I was snortin and roddin the country roads, was just wearin apair of shorts an sneakers gettin a tan too.Heats comin of fthe bike damn near cookin my legs . so I go faster. Im going 150 k plus and like slow motion I see this bug snaking in the air coming at me, it was either a bee or a june bug (huge beetle type) and I took him right in the bare chest ,my left tit. shock of the pain almost blew me off.I was welted for a week.Now I always throw the denium vest on if its that hot and I do drive slower as a rule.Always gloves. Once I took a stone in the bare knuckle in my early years.

Comment

Got my Guzzi... after a few days it wouldn't start... Cranked OK, new battery, gas was in the tank, so... helmet off, out of the leathers, pull the plugs... one was okay, the second one didn't need checking... put the killswitch to on, plug back, leathers back on, helmet, gloves and off I went feeling a bit stupid.
                The other stuff is just too embarassing...

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

In my 17+ year turning wrenches I trashed 2 engines and one of them was my Guzzi. All in all, it's not a bad record but I'd rather it be zero.

Recently I had no power to anything in the electrical system on my 80 mongrel. I pull the seat, tank and headlight and poured over the wiring it it me to check the fuse on the left side. Duh, I knew that.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Two years ago going to XS East 2002, just outside Richmond, Va., trying to meet up with Brent, missed my exit just on Hwy I-95 North during busy Friday early morning commute traffic, didn't want to drive to next exit to "U"ey, rode down and up the large median....morning dew grass, bike saddlebags and backrest fully loaded, pulled up to edge of inside lane of 4 laner, only 12" ribbed shoulder, saw gap in traffic, gunned it, wet slick tire slid out and down I went right in front of oncoming traffic(DOH!), was a "B*tch" getting bike upright on slightly down sloping road, got out of there before caused too much of traffic jam!!!!
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Brake disc lock

Sunshine, leathers on, engine cranks, yes this is the life...half a second later your lying there looking at that &%/?# lock.
                      Luckily nothing got broke...well except my pride.
                      Gisle Vestergaard
                      XS 1100 Sport

Comment

I can't believe this is my first post on this site. Stupid huh, well..........
                        Here I am, 19 years old, cruising through my home town. Along the way I spot a very well developed person of the female presuation. Well you know in my youth and vigor I can't seem to manage to take my eyes off her scantily clad upper anatony. Of course there's a stop sign, of course there's traffic in front of me, Of course I'm oblivious to the stopped traffic, Of course there isn't a helmet law so she can see the idiot, that in his oogling, runs right into the back of the stopped car in front of him. Fortunately that old 73 Z1 had tough forks, nothing damaged but my pride.
                        I could write a book, maybe next time.
                        Just to be clear here, on my 73 DT250, 73 RD350, 73 Z1, 78 XS1100, 78 R100RT I did log close to 250,000, I'm still here to write about it so the young stupidity must have worn off somewhere along the line. The old xs1100 is the only one I still have. O.K. so I've got at least one other complete bike (XJ) and parts to build 2-3 more (xs whatever).

Bob-o

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hellmer

Here I am, 19 years old, cruising through my home town. Along the way I spot a very well developed person of the female presuation. Well you know in my youth and vigor I can't seem to manage to take my eyes off her scantily clad upper anatony. Of course there's a stop sign, of course there's traffic in front of me, Of course I'm oblivious to the stopped traffic, Of course there isn't a helmet law so she can see the idiot, that in his oogling, runs right into the back of the stopped car in front of him.

Bob-o
                          I did something very similar 20 some years ago on a RD350. She was cute as sin and I looked at her just a little to long then I noticed a very large Cadillac. I locked up the rear wheel and was seriously getting sideways so I let up on the rear brake and stabbed it again. Now I was sliding sideways the other direction. I managed to bring it to a stop about a foot off the Caddy’s bumper. I was to embarrassed to look her after that.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have had a few adventures with plugwires.Start the bike up and have a miss somewhere and reach and grab a plugwire.Needless to say I still forget sometimes and it keeps reminding me
                            Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                            X