More computer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More computer questions

Here I am, the Computer novice, needing help again on some of the simplest things.
    I have my main computer in the second story den/library/boarsnest and a back up computer in the basement. Question:Can I get one of those USB stick memory things and use it to copy a program off one computer and load it on the other?? Or are they for files only or what ever? I been thinking (This is when I become dangerous) that maybe I should go wireless because I have picked up a laptop that supposedly has wireless capability. What is the bare minimum of hardware and programs I can get away with and not have to learn genius level stuff. What would be on this system would a main desktop computer, a back up desk computer and laptop computer. Also I have a wireless HP Printer ( Model 6980 Deskjet wireless) that I need to learn how to make work. If you are wondering about where all this stuff came from, I trade labor, working for a recycler/scrapper for 2nd pick of all the stuff that comes in the shop for tearing down and recycling. I got the printer and one other, a gaming computer tower and board, a core 2 tower, my back up and a bunch of other stuff. It's fun, you never know what is coming thru the door any day of the week. Anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance on this stuff. And I am sure I'll be back with more questions.
    Ole computer junker Jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Hey Jack,

Well, first of all the USB "flash" drives can hold any kind of file, the only limit is the SIZE of the file(s) vs. the flash drive. I started with a little 1 Gb flash, now I have both 8 and 16 gb drives.

But as to the Program swap! Doubtful, because most programs like Office and such have special installation protocals that place files and windows registry entries in many places on the computer, not just the main program files in the program files folder! And in the recent several years, program manufacturer/publishers have added annoying things like having programs have to be registered....often with a serial number or such, and they can often limit how many licenses....how many computers a person can install their program onto. This is why without knowing the actual program, it's hard to tell you whether you can move/copy it to another computer you have.

I don't have a "NETWORK" running at my house...I don't really have the need to be able to access one computer from another. What I do have is a ROUTER/Modem which allows all of my computers that have Wireless(Wifi) access to be able to access the Internet through the router/modem without the need for a bunch of ethernet cables! I have my MAIN desktop computer connected to the router/modem via a cable because it's at the same location. But I/we can access the internet with the other laptops as well as another desktop that is downstairs via wireless network access card.

So....since you are accessing the Internet to communicate with US, you at least have a MODEM...don't know if it's CABLE or DSL or FIOS or Satellite for your ISP(internet service provider)? When I recently changed to FIOS this last year, they provided the combined wireless router/modem as part of the package, so all I had to do was set the network access protocal and password. Prior to this, I had a Cable Modem access, and so I had to buy my own Wireless Router to connect to it to allow my other wireless devices to access the Internet network.

SO.....What type of internet access do you have and the type of modem? If just a modem, then you'll at least need a wireless router. You probably have your main desktop near your internet access/modem, so you can keep it hard wire connected. SO...you'll then need a wireless access device...either a PCI card....or the easier thing now is a USB network access card/device for the other desktop. And your laptop already has wireless access with a built in wireless device. Then you'll just need to set up the router with the security protocal of your choice. This can also depend on what version of WINDOWS you're running on all 3 units. WEP 64 is the easiest format, but it's the easier one to crack. WPA is the more secure protocal but can be more difficult to set up on the devices/computers accessing the internet/network/router.
    But this is necessary to keep freeloaders from accessing your wireless network/access from across the street or next door and getting FREE internet service, slowing down YOUR service, as well as exposing your system to hacking/security data loss...ie. credit card #'s, passwords, etc.!!!

Hope this doesn't scare you?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

First thanks for all the information. Next, what I want to set up is a wireless modem system to access the DSL I get thru AT&T/Centurytel. I want to be in the basement or out in the garage with the laptop or spare desktop and be on the internet. Without wires. I was given this equipment.
      1. a wireless G broadband router named Linksys Cisco with a wire internet socket and four other sockets.
      2. 3 PCI type boards for the computers. They are mark 3COM Model 3CRDW696 There is a copyright date of 2002. They have a little rubber antenna sticking out the back.

I went to the websites for these items and mostly I was confused by the plethora of information. I can get the software for the 3COM board if I consent to the downloading of a downloading program.
      The router site talks about firmware which I know a tiny bit about but am not sure how to load in the router.
      Lastly I don't know what software I need in the laptop and desktop computers to run this stuff.
      I know this is a lot of asking, but you and the rest of the guys here give me the most understandable answers of any place I can go to.
      Ole Jack
      J.D."Jack" Smith
      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
      1978E straight job
      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

You are looking at some advanced networking there. What program are you wanting to move around?
        1) Fire up Internet Explorer
        2) http://www.yahoo.com
        3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
        4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Hey Jack,

First of all, what Operating system versions are you running on all your 'puters? WinXP or earlier, or Vista or 7.

As for the software for the wireless devices...windows has a program to handle that. Some wireless adapters come with separate programs as well, and your laptop may have that in it. If you'll post what brand/model# and possibly a service tag# or serial# of your laptop I'll be able to look up what hardware it came with and also the software.

Okay,Editted: I thought I had found a reliable download source for the 3com network wireless card driver but apparently since HP bought/aquired 3com, it doesn't work? However, WinXP can usually PNP load the windows drivers for the device once it's installed and the computer is restarted.

As I stated earlier, you'll want to have your main desktop system close to your DSL modem and Wireless router so you can connect it directly to it via an ethernet cable. This will be necessary to be able Access and set the settings of the Router once you plug it into the DSL modem.

The Linksys Router will also have a Model #, and there are often installation programs needed to install on the desktop computer to be able control the Router. If you'll post the Model # and Ver# of the router, I can look that up also. If I remember correctly, updating the firmware is just a matter of running a program ONCE you have the router connected to the desktop computer via a hard wire/ethernet cable.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

OK, my main desk top computer runs Vista, my back up computer runs XP Professional. Now the laptop. It is a Compaq 6820s. It has a core 2 Centrino processor. It is a disaster When I got it, it had no hard drive and no charger for the battery. Tomorrow I am getting both a hard drive and a charger. Here is where it gets tricky. More that likely the harddrive with have XP Pro on it, but I can also get a desktop harddrive with windows seven on it. Could I put the "7" harddrive in my spare desktop then copy it to the laptop harddrive? Wait!! I am getting off course here. Lets try to get the two desktops going wireless. My main desktop is connected to the dsl modem which is right beside it. The backup will be in the basement on a table next to a workbench. So the wireless card will be in it. I will put the wireless router by linksys model no. WRT54G2 V1 next to the modem and run a cable from it to the router. If I get the router firmware updated, the wireless card in the basement should talk to it and connect me to the internet. Is all this correct? What else do I need and am I taking up too much time and space on the site with this?

Diskman, I was thinking of copying some small windows compatable programs from the main desktop to the backup which has almost nothing on the harddrive. Does this help?
            Ole Jack
            J.D."Jack" Smith
            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
            1978E straight job

Comment

You most likely will need the original "Install" disks for what you are doing. Some programs CAN be moved to other computers, but it involves moving hidden files and registry fiddling.
              1) Fire up Internet Explorer
              2) http://www.yahoo.com
              3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
              4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Okay Jack,

Are you ready for some "Learning"? First, the laptop is a little bit old which is GOOD, I was able to find it on the HP/compaq site, and it could use WinXP or Vista. SO... you/we will be able to get the DRIVERS for either OS for it, the wireless utility program and such.

Now..comes the learning....With WinXP and later OS's, MS put some fancy programming into them to prevent "Unlicensed" multiple copy use....installing and using the same copy of Windows on more than one computer at the same time. When Windows is installed, it takes a survey of the Motherboard brand/model, and a variety of other hardware components...ie. Video card, CPU, Ram, DVD drive, etc. and then creates a PROFILE file that is sent to Microsoft(MS) during the final steps of the install/validation/activation process...MS verifies that the copy of Windows being installed is a valid copy/version and hasn't already been installed/used on another computer, then MS gives permission to actually finish the install and use Windows on that computer. THEN....the owner/user can make small incremental changes to the hardware...like updating the video card or different DVD drive, and MS will allow the version of Windows to continue to be used. However, if too many hardware changes are attempted.....a red flag goes up, and WIndows will require the owner to contact MS to do some verification steps, etc. to allow Windows to continue to be used.

The problem for unknowing folks is that IF you take a version of Windows...XP, Vista, 7, that was already installed on one computer...with all of it's hardware profiled and registered with MS, and then they MOVE that hard drive to another totally different computer....Windows will say that it is NO LONGER a valid install, and will require the owner to contact MS in an attempt to verify the hardware and such since it no longer matches what the original installation profile was! This is how MS makes so much $$$$, USUALLY if folks want to install ie. the new OS Win7 on several of their home computers...ie. desktop and laptop(s), folks have to purchase a Multi-license version of Windows7 to install. If they try to install a SINGLE license version onto more than 1 computer, it won't work..won't validate because the SERIAL # will have already been used/registered with the 1st computer and it's specific hardware!!! Hope you're starting to get the picture about why it's difficult to just copy versions of Windows onto several computers, or swap them from one to another !!!

Don't worry about taking up space with this, this forum IS the off topic non bike tech forum so it's perfectly alright. Now, because this will get a bit more complicated as "we" progress....it might be good for you/me to PM each other and share home Ph#'s so that we can talk in real time to help walk you thru several of these processes. So....like with the laptop....just getting a working harddrive for it will be enough for now...I'll PM you about a "fix" in being able to get you a copy of WinXP to INSTALL on the laptop so it will have a fully functioning OS that will be properly installed so that it will have the correct DRIVERS for all of the hardware for the laptop.

It's time for dinner right now, I'll be back after that and once I research the Router a little so that I'll be able to provide correct installation and SETUP info for putting it into service!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Jack- what you are looking to do is really not possible. You will need the original install disks to move/install any programs, but you can use a USB drive to move files. If you need assistance, what you are working on is what I do for a living, and I'd be more than happy to come by and help get you set up. You mentioned that the hard drive you will be getting for the laptop will likely have XP already installed on it? That is really not a good idea. You need to have the drive installed in the machine it will be living in before installing the operating system, so it installs all the proper drivers. If you need a copy of XP, Win7 or Win8 for a blank hard drive, I can help with that as well, as I have versions designed for companies that does not verify licensing with MS (open license).

As a comment to T.C's note, all MS software can be installed 2 times before it complains. That allows you to kill the computer once, then re-install on the same PC legally. The license agreement actually makes it so you are not technically allowed to install it on a second machine, even if the first machine no longer exists. However, as long as it was only installed once before, the software will always allow a second installation.

If you would like me to help get your machines set up, just shoot me a PM. I'm available most evenings.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Well, I have a plethora of advise here and all of it good. TC gave me advise on how to get one of the laptops on the internet, get sound working, and get the wireless loaded. The guy is a wiz. The rest of you guys are as good, to an old F**T like me that is trying to get up to speed (I fell behind somewhere during the rein of Windows 3.1) all this advise is golden. Catatonic Bug, my work schedule is loaded during the week and I usually only get some time on saturday and sunday afternoons. For the time being, this is the skinny on the compaq 6820. When I got it, the hard drive was already gone and I will have to buy a new one. The charger for the battery is gone also and that will have to be bought too. Until I get the money for those items, the compaq is sidelined and I use the little gateway and am working getting the spare or backup desktop computer on a wireless system for internet access. So basically that is the inventory and condition of my computing power.
                    Ole Grateful Jack
                    J.D."Jack" Smith
                    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                    1978E straight job

Comment

If you're buying a new hard drive, it won't have any software on it at all. You'll need an operating system that the rest of the hardware (processor, RAM, etc.) can handle. As I mentioned, I'd be happy to assist in getting any/all of your systems set up the way you need them. Saturday's are usually best for me too. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested, and we can work out the schedule details. You're only about 30 minutes from me, so it would make for a good place to ride to!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                      X