Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from Australia

Hi all,

Long time lurker , first time register and poster. I have a XS1100 amongst other bikes . Purchased as a project bike and hopefully get her riding by Oct (our summer).

I will post details /specs/pics later but have managed to get her running. Its currently apart to be painted and restored to her former glory. I'm just having trouble identifying what diaphrams my car by uses as there are splits/cracks in the current one's.

Anywho, looking to share, learn and experience the awe that is the XS1100.

Duc
    1980 XS1100 Standard

Originally posted by duc View Post
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker , first time register and poster. I have a XS1100 amongst other bikes . Purchased as a project bike and hopefully get her riding by Oct (our summer).
    I will post details /specs/pics later but have managed to get her running. Its currently apart to be painted and restored to her former glory. I'm just having trouble identifying what diaphrams my car by uses as there are splits/cracks in the current one's.
    Duc
    Hi Duc and welcome,
    let us know if you find car diaphragms that will fit XS11 carbs.
    You can still buy new ones but their price will bring tears to your eyes.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Duc and welcome,
      let us know if you find car diaphragms that will fit XS11 carbs.
      You can still buy new ones but their price will bring tears to your eyes.
      Fred!
      You, of all people, should know what a car by is. It has a hole in the middle, where the air goes through.

CZ

Comment

Duc, there are vendors on ebay that sell diaphrams for the car by's. Bing XS11 carb diaphrams or Mikuni diaphrams, and look around. There was a company that was making new ones out of Viton, but I didn't bookmark them, so you will have to look.

Oh, and you will have to exscuse Fred, he drives a side hack, and you know how those guys are.
        CZ

Comment

Pics

Hi Duc !

Glad you joined in on the madness !

You can post pics to Photobucket and then add the IMG code to your posts and show us what you have going on.

I'd really like to see those holes in your diaphragms !

Done };~)

Originally posted by duc View Post
          Hi all,

Duc
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
            Fred!
            You, of all people, should know what a car by is. It has a hole in the middle, where the air goes through.

CZ
            Hi Zapper,
            as you only speak American you may not know this:- "car" is OZspeak (and Britspeak) for "Auto"
            BTW, the other thing is a "carbie"
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              BTW, the other thing is a "carbie"
              And there you go, knocking your Aussie cousin's spelling abilities!

CZ

Comment

Hey there Duc,

When you registered, I informed you about researching your year/model style, special/standard, and to include that in your signature/profile.

There are 2 series of carbs for the XS11's(BS34). The 78-79 series which uses a slightly SMALLER diameter vacuum slides. The 80-81 series have Larger diam vac slides.

Here's the link to the company that provides the replacement diaphragms ONLY, not the metal slides:

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

If yours is the later model style, you can actually get new complete slides/diaphragms all in one piece, but it's going to be a bit pricey either way shipping to Australia!

A member got and installed these on his bike, and have worked well, he wrote a description of the process and posted it. See following carb tip.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...171#post332171

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TopCat, will do. The introduction was a spur of the moment thing to do since I wanted to say hello - I was on a tablet. That said, it also explained why when I wrote carby I somehow got autocorrected to 'car by'.

Anywho, my bike is a mix match of parts apparently. A little bit more history on it. As mentioned, purchased as a project bike close to a year now. I bought it with brackets welded on the side of the frame which allowed a side car to be attached. The engine wasnt the original, the PO decided the original engine in the bike was good so he replaced it with another one. So I have a bike frame with an engine number that doesnt match - which is fine with me for the price I got it for.

It was delivered in pieces of sorts - no rear tyre, box of parts. Fast forward a few weeks and with the help of a fellow XS1100 enthusiast (Mal Pitman, some of you may know him or know of him) gave me a hand with tuning the carbies on the bike and we got it idling and running well with good compression in all four cylinders.

How it looked when it was delivered - minus tank and seat which its not in the pic

1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

BTW I'm glad my introduction got you boys chuckling.
                    1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Here are pics of the bike - to date.

Engine is getting a new coat of paint. The frame is receiving the same treatment. Although with winter, progress has been halted.

1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

My wife had a diaphragm once that had a hole in it.........
                        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Hey there Duc,

When you registered, I informed you about researching your year/model style, special/standard, and to include that in your signature/profile.

There are 2 series of carbs for the XS11's(BS34). The 78-79 series which uses a slightly SMALLER diameter vacuum slides. The 80-81 series have Larger diam vac slides.

Here's the link to the company that provides the replacement diaphragms ONLY, not the metal slides:

http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

If yours is the later model style, you can actually get new complete slides/diaphragms all in one piece, but it's going to be a bit pricey either way shipping to Australia!

A member got and installed these on his bike, and have worked well, he wrote a description of the process and posted it. See following carb tip.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...171#post332171

T.C.
                          May not be too bad on the shipping. I shipped some exhaust valves a while back from Georgia, USA to New Zealand. Believe it or not they shipped USPS for only $25.00. We were both surprised. Don't know if this applies to Australia, but would definitely be worth checking in to.

MP
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hello Duc. where abouts in Aust are you?
                            I noticed there is an xs1100 forum here as well. I was rolling drunk when I tried to join up and it wont let me now.
                            79 SF
                            Honda KO 750
                            Honda K2 750 Bobber in progress
                            Moto Guzzi 1000cc mongrel custom
                            HD FXST 2008
                            Bonneville SE 2010 (wifeys)

Comment

Originally posted by Far Canal View Post
                              Hello Duc. where abouts in Aust are you?
                              I noticed there is an xs1100 forum here as well. I was rolling drunk when I tried to join up and it wont let me now.
                              Hi Brad,
                              you were too intoxicated to push the right buttons the first time and obviously an Australian site wouldn't want a sober person to join.
                              Try again when you are half cut.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X