Having my first bad eBay Experience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having my first bad eBay Experience!

I have something like 140+ ebay feedback points with 100%. I mostly buy stuff, have not actually sold more than a few items in the several years I've been using ebay. I've had a few items that I've returned as defective and have either recieved a full refund or replacement part.

I repair friends/coworker's computers and laptops as a hobby/service for those technically challenged users. I received an Acer laptop that had a dead mobo, and turned out also had fried Ram chips! I ordered a replacement from a reputable ebay seller with well over several hundred THOUSAND feedback points! It arrived, I installed it, and it was Defective, would not boot! I contacted them, opened up an eBay "CASE", and then sent the Defective Mobo with all of the proper return documentation and authorization #'s using USPS Priority mail with tracking and delivery confirmation. Here's where the "fun" began.

After a while, I didn't recieve the replacement, wrote to them, they said they had to wait for a shipment of replacement stock(refurbished mobos.... probably from China or Taiwan or Korea) and that it could be a few weeks.

I waited and waited, then contacted them again, then they said they never received the Mobo. A later reply said that I had sent them Ram Chips! And that if I would just send them the Mobo, they would then send me a replacement. I provided the USPS shipping/tracking info that showed that it was truly DELIVERED to them.

Meanwhile....it has now gone over a month, and eBay wrote to me informing me that my "CASE" had been automatically CLOSED because it had gone on longer than their arbitrary 30 DAY period! I wrote to eBay explaining that the seller had not resolved the problem, etc, but ebay DENIED my reply to reopen/extend the "CASE"!

A recent reply from the seller said that they still had not received the Mobo, and that they were offering me a $15.00 compensation refund! I replied again with the USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation info, that the box I sent them was 15 x 17 x 2 inches and 1 lb 2 oz's, well beyond the size/weight needed to return Ram Chips, that SOMEONE in their recieving dept. screwed up, threw away the USPS label with the Ret. Auth#'s along with the enclosed printed copy of the item description also with the Ret. Auth#'s.

Their current item description shows that they have 900+ of these damn things. I told them I would not accept their compensation refund, that I wanted a functional Mobo that I paid for!!! It's the weekend now, and so I'm sure I won't receive a reply until next week, but it's just frustrating!

The ebay seller is ScreenAid. Thanks for listening to me vent!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

eBay

I've had a few problems with selling and buying. Had a few problems with eBay not helping to resolve the problem, had a few they helped with too. Good Luck !
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

When dealing with businesses on eBay, I usually look for an off eBay website that they work from. The price is often lower. When I have a problem, I let my credit card company deal with it. PayPal is a no-no as well. They won't help when you're dealing with a commercial business.

eBay and PayPal are great when you're dealing with regular schmucks, but when it comes to a business, I avoid them. I write this from experience.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Think yourself lucky it was only laptop parts T.C.

My wife bought a complete laptop that had allegedly been refurbished by the business selling on ebay, when it arrived it didn't work at all, she sent it back and they denied it arrived so she lost everything.

I have the address she sent it back to, I'll be visiting one quiet night

Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the last 10 years or so, and have noticed that they are much less responsive or friendly to individual buyers and sellers than they used to be. Between eBay and Paypal, as a seller, most of any money you make goes to fees. They seem to be catering to big eBay stores now, and individual buyers and sellers are an afterthought.
          2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
          2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
          1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

This has always been my concern with Ebay. While I certainly am a frequent flyer there for used parts for the bikes I work on, I am skiddish of buying anything there that is more commercially available.

I certainly appreciate the trouble your having TC. Hopefully ebay and or the seller will come through for you. I do agree that since Ebay and Paypal have become one, the entire system is becoming more like The Home Shopping Network, and a lot less concerned with long term reputation.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I use eBay as a search engine. I find a business that has what I want on there and then I find their website. I use a credit card that will back me up, because as you say, eBay and PayPal won't. Only the little guys care about every feedback score. The only times I have been screwed, it was by a business. Nobody selling junk out of their garage has ever done me wrong.

It isn't always bad. I got some good deals at the Dennis Kink eBay scratch & dent store and they were very responsive.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Im going through a PayPal dispute right now. And I dont know if the 'buyer protection' will actually benefit me at all.
                1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The PayPal "Buyer Protection" has saved my bacon MANY times. Not just on eBay, but on websites that accept PayPal. Simply call PP, open a dispute with them. They contact the sellers.. 45 Days later if the seller doesn't respond to PayPal you get a refund.

Ebays 30 day rule is BS. I remember back in the day that you could wait till day 30 on eBay, then quickly leave negative feedback at the last minute. 30 day old transactions are NEVER edited or disputed. lol.

I got hosed by Partzilla with some bike parts this past spring. They never shipped and kept listing a ship date in the future THEN a ship date in the past then adding to the shipping costs lol. After 30 days of the run-around I called PayPal and had everything cleared up. Never heard a PEEP from Partzilla with all my emails and phone calls to them. PayPal did all the legwork.

Sorry about your hassles. In the future, pay your eBays with PayPal. Open a free checking account somewhere and link the PayPal to that. NOT to your main account. Trust me. If PP gets all uppity, they can clean out your account in no time flat and sit on the $ for 90 days.

Keep hassling the seller. They might eventually fix it if you keep at it. Certified letters do wonders too.
                  1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                  2) http://www.yahoo.com
                  3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                  4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                    The PayPal "Buyer Protection" has saved my bacon MANY times. Not just on eBay, but on websites that accept PayPal. Simply call PP, open a dispute with them. They contact the sellers.. 45 Days later if the seller doesn't respond to PayPal you get a refund.

Ebays 30 day rule is BS. I remember back in the day that you could wait till day 30 on eBay, then quickly leave negative feedback at the last minute. 30 day old transactions are NEVER edited or disputed. lol.

I got hosed by Partzilla with some bike parts this past spring. They never shipped and kept listing a ship date in the future THEN a ship date in the past then adding to the shipping costs lol. After 30 days of the run-around I called PayPal and had everything cleared up. Never heard a PEEP from Partzilla with all my emails and phone calls to them. PayPal did all the legwork.

Sorry about your hassles. In the future, pay your eBays with PayPal. Open a free checking account somewhere and link the PayPal to that. NOT to your main account. Trust me. If PP gets all uppity, they can clean out your account in no time flat and sit on the $ for 90 days.

Keep hassling the seller. They might eventually fix it if you keep at it. Certified letters do wonders too.
                    PayPal is eBay, eBay is PaPal....one in the same.....
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ebay Issues

If you do have a problem with a seller on Ebay, be sure that you utilize the Buyer Protection program within the 30 days or your problem remains your problem. The harshest thing that you can do to any seller is give them a negative rating/comment. This will hurt them a lot more than they think it will.

I had a problem a few years ago. The seller tried to ignore me. My negative comment knocked him from positive 97% to a devastating 73%. I promise you that got his attention in a hurry. Gave me what I wanted as a result. I try to get along with everyone, but sometimes you have to be "not so nice". Life is too short.

MP
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Ebay

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
                        I have found that ebay is not very likely to do much ,
                        especially in the case of dealing with private party sellers .
                        no need to ask why I know that.
                        Completely off the subject, It appears that you are the go to guy for fuseblocks,
                        I don't want to step on anybodys toes, but have found them at www.wiringproducts.com in case you need a new supplier.
                        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Update: Happy ending!

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the thoughts and such. Okay, after they told me that they never received the defective Mobo that I sent back/returned via USPS Priority mail and had the tracking info, delivery confirmation, etc., repeated messages to them stating the same...I decided to send them the original BAD mobo that I was trying to replace to begin with! It was already broken, I couldn't use it, so I shelled out another $5.00 to ship it to them USPS Priority.

This time they verified that they DID receive it, but since it had been over 60 days from the original purchase date....I had to pay another $5.00 delivery charge for them to finally ship me the replacement Mobo....which I did and they did.

I installed it tonight, and viola, it actually booted up and is running like it should have in the first place if they hadn't sent me a defective one!!

SO...$75.00 original Mobo fee, $10.00 return fees for shipping for 2 mobos, and then $5.00 fee for reshipping the mobo back to me. Also, during this process I purchased another CPU for just a few bucks thinking it had gotten fried when it was a defective mobo, also had to purchase 2 ram chips that had gotten fried with the original Mobo, again about $15.00.

But now I can get this laptop back to it's owner that entrusted me to repair it over 2 months ago! The owner now has a COOLING PAD to help prevent a recurrence of this event!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Would that be mine or that coworker friend?
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

Hey George,

This was about the coworker's machine that I've been trying to repair for over 2 months. Yours was rather simple, got a proper mobo first try, with an upgraded CPU from a Celeron 1.6 Ghz to a Core 2 Duo 1.73 Ghz dual processor, since the replacement Mobo had an upgraded Chipset that could handle the better newer CPU. Also added 1 Gb Ram for total of 1.5 Gb's, and flushed VISTA because it was hosed/corrupted, and no backup discs or capabilty to make any, the recovery partition was just a few hundred MB's of programs to activate the recovery program for use with recovery discs that we didn't have!

So it has WinXP Pro SP3 which is running very nicely. Fortunately I was able to locate all of the WinXP Drivers for the hardware devices, Video, Sound Card, Ethernet and Wireless card, Intel Chipset drivers, Texas Instruments Flash card reader, USB ports and such!

And then I got busy installing all of the other ancillary programs, Antivirus, browsers, video players, DVD player, etc.

I'll be sending you an email with a synopsis of what was done, along with the price list for the parts...but you're getting out much cheaper than my coworker, and I don't charge for labor in either situation!

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                              X