Saw something surprising today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw something surprising today!

I was on my way home on my daily commute from work in my CAGE, running down the superslab and slowly passed an Overnight brand Semi-trailer rig. When I could see it in my rearview mirror, I noticed that he was flashing his headlights....and thought he was signalling me to SLOW DOWN, that there might or was a Smokey up ahead?! But as continued to slowly pull away, his lights continued to flash. It was then that I realized that it must have been equiped with a headlight flasher device similar to what can be gotten for MC bikes/riders to help improve visibility!?

Was just curious to see that on a big rig?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

New To Trucks

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    I was on my way home on my daily commute from work in my CAGE, running down the superslab and slowly passed an Overnight brand Semi-trailer rig. When I could see it in my rearview mirror, I noticed that he was flashing his headlights....and thought he was signalling me to SLOW DOWN, that there might or was a Smokey up ahead?! But as continued to slowly pull away, his lights continued to flash. It was then that I realized that it must have been equiped with a headlight flasher device similar to what can be gotten for MC bikes/riders to help improve visibility!?

Was just curious to see that on a big rig?

T.C.
    Never seen that before on a truck but a good idea I think, especially if he runs the side/back roads too.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I don't think that is legal......
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I absolutely hate those flashing headlights! They do improve ones visibility but I question the reality. I have a buddy who runs them and he asks why I hate them.
        Long story short is I always pull over when I see them as I am expecting an emergency vehicle. That sucks when all you have behind you is a dip**** that thinks he is more visible that way. Annoying "yes" more visible "possibly".
        I drive professionally for a living and I see more simpletons texting or on the phone, than any lights will help.
        Yes I know how we are invisible to others but basically mocking an emergency vehicle is nothing but asking for issues in the future.
        Point is that while we are trying to be more visible....Other people are trying the same thing. Check out any billboard or sign in your area. If it ain't flashing or highlighted in some way then you are not watching.
        Drivers get desensitized to our plight.
        Now add 1 set of those awful lights and one is golden for the accident that did not yet happen but it will.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Flashers!

What I cannot understand is people driving with the hazard flashers on, but with apparently no emergency. They are tooling along with traffic flow seemingly oblivious. Are they just hungry for attention?
          "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

I had one of those flashing headlights on my bike. I would still if I had nto switched to an HID instead.

Years ago, motorcycles were provided with daytime headlights to help them stand out and get noticed, Now all cars have them, so the flashing headlight is the new way to stand apart from the cagers. I think naything we can do to help is of benefit.

Now Doug, I hate to say this, but, if you can not identify a flashing headlight from a flashing emergency vehicles lights, you may not be as alert and paying attention as you should be. However, I do agree with Nate, at least here in the Ohio, the flashing headlight is only approved for use on motorcycles.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

How They Did That

When those first became available on bikes, they were using a device called a "Q Switch". Don't know if it is still known or available by that name. Drives me crazy to watch flashing headlights, but it does get your attention.

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

It for sure gets your attention. I mistake them once in a while due to bad color blindness (TC says deficiency) and the fact that either my motorcycle mirrors are vibrating a bit or my old shook up concrete mixer has seen better days and the mirrors are bouncing more than I am.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I also drive professionally(30 years) and I feel the flashing headlight on a motorcycle works well,but on a 18 wheeler? that's just stupid (imho). I've never seen that before,thinking someone is looking for attention.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                  X