Trailer hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer hitch

I was recently asked about the trailer hitch I built for my XJ as the link where that information was originally placed no longer works. I have put the pages describing the hitch and its construction here:

http://www.appleattic.net/hitch/default.html

Please read all the disclaimers! Yamaha does not recommend towing a trailer with an XS or XJ. You are completely at your own risk if you go down this route. Having said that, I towed my trailer for many years with the XJ with no problems at all.

My design incorporates my Vetter saddlebag cross-brace for added rigidity. If you do not run the same set-up you may want to come up with another way of cross-bracing the side arms.

Couple other notes. The link to trailer construction page does not work. If there is any interest in this I will see if I can find the files and put them up on my domain. However, I have made several mods to the trailer since it was originally built (1999) and the original files would have to be modified to bring the up to date. I'll do it if there is any interest. Second, a few years ago I replaced the 3/8 inch Heim ends with 1/2 inch units as I had cracked 2 of the 3/8 inchers over the years. Have had no problems since making this upgrade. I still use this trailer and in fact plan to tow it out to the California Rally taking place next week.

Any questions, comments, or ideas about these files let me know.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Many Miles

The Trailer is still alive??? For those that havent seen Jerry's trailer, it has more miles on it than most cars on the road with all the rallies and travel he has done. So, those interested in any info about trailers with the xs, or xj, He is the man to ask.............see you in a couple of weeks at the California Rally. Mike in Sun DIego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Working...
    X