Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any given day may be the last(one day will)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any given day may be the last(one day will)

Today I was reminded that any given day could be the last. Missed by a cage by a split second and would have been my end. Closest call of many.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do and a tiny split second another way and I would not be here to lament. Tomorrow I ride. Knowing this is true.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

A wake-up call/reminder the risk taken whenever we climb aboard and hit that starter button. Glad your here and able to post!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

True

I hope the angels are with you always, car, bike, bicycle, walking, climbing, or trucking, anything !!!!!
      I must have a flock watching me to make it to 60.
      You know what, I woke up this morning, a little late but here we are !

Sometimes there is nothing you can do and a tiny split second another way and I would not be here to lament. Tomorrow I ride. Knowing this is true.[/QUOTE]
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

A really good buddy of mine here at work was riding the few miles home June 26th, and a little old lady that couldn't see and shouldn't have been driving pulled across the highway in front of him. He left a long skid mark, then laid the bike down, but still hit the front fender and flew @ 75' into the median. They took away the lady's license, but it shouldn't have to come to something like this for that to happen. Lots of damage and broken bones including 3 skull fractures. He's the same age as me.. 45, and we started here at work about the same time.

They finally got the swelling in his brain to go down and did an MRI. He's basically a vegetable, so the family made the decision I'd hate for anyone to have to make and pulled the plug on him. He's got pneumonia to boot. He made it through the night, but they're expecting him to pass at some point today from the fluid building in his lungs. His first grandchild was/is due in Dec.

Expect everyone to pull out in front of you because many will. This is the same thing that killed Jeremy (Montreux Blue)... someone failing to yield from a side road.

Enjoy the ride and the freedom... but yes, any given day.

P.S. Anyone offering prayers, his name is Ted Keefer and he is leaving behind a wife and two "kids", 18 and 20. He's got a HUGE heart and would do anything for anyone at any time of the day or night.
        Last edited by trbig; 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

My brother's BIL was killed by a DUI turning in front of him in an F250 on a 55 mph road a couple years ago. It happens. Heck, look at that young lady who survived the plane crash only to get run over by the medical vehicles. Talk about crazy crap happening.

No doubt about it, every day you wake up may be the one you don't get through for one reason or another, and riding a motorcycle is not the safest form of transportation. But the way I explained it to my wife after my wreck in 2010 was this, I'd rather die doing something I love doing than live for decades not doing something I love. Kind of like being with you. (that part was just for the brownie points.)

But yes, I tell my kids and keep it in my head when I am on the road. Everyone out there, and yes, EVERYONE, has a goal of killing me. Whatever they can do to make it happen they will do, until they don't. Drive with that mindset and you have doubled your chances of making it alive.

And Todd, that is a horrible story, very sorry for your loss and that of his family...he may not be gone just this moment, but I know the feeling of just waiting for the last blip on the monitor.
          Last edited by DGXSER; 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Tod I am sorry for your loss...

Tragic for all involved. Prayers for his family.

I will be extra vigilant around my sons this summer. I know once riding with Dylan right after he got his license I got some road rage over a lady that cut him off almost hitting him because she did not want to yield to him....

I realized I would be setting a really poor example for him and quit....but she got the message.

Semper vigilantes

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

You know TRBig hit on a very important point but honestly when you try to do something as a citizen to make people safer you catch hell. I have called the police twice on dangerous drivers and its just not appreciated at all. One was a lady who drove the lincon town car out over the bank of a parking lot sideways plowing 2 large shrubbs into 2 lanes of 45 mph traffic just barely missing me. Then I had to chase her down at 70 miles an hour where she ran 2 stop lights without a pause. I had to go get the warrent myself as the police officer did not want to do anything with the little old lady but warned me she could press charges because I followed her. Then went to court and the DMV had already done a pull on her lisence for all the wreckless driving charges they had since my report.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Although it wasn't vehicle related, 2 weeks ago I had a deer run out about 10-15 feet in front of me when I was doing about 60 mph. Fortunately for me it continued off the side of the road and into the woods. If it had of stopped and back tracked or even hesitated I probably would have nailed it right in the ribs. Speeds went from 60 down to 50 in a big hurry.

Wayne
                80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Ted

I'll pray for him and his family !

Years ago a after high school buddy fell asleep on the way to work very early in the morn.. Docs said he has 1 in 100 survival chance and if he survives he has 1 in 100 chance of being functional. He came through asked the doc to put a piece of plastic in his skull with a U.S. flag on it, they did what he asked.

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  A really good buddy of mine here at work was riding the few miles home June 26th, and a little old lady that couldn't see and shouldn't have been driving pulled across the highway in front of him. He left a long skid mark, then laid the bike down, but still hit the front fender and flew @ 75' into the median. They took away the lady's license, but it shouldn't have to come to something like this for that to happen. Lots of damage and broken bones including 3 skull fractures. He's the same age as me.. 45, and we started here at work about the same time.

They finally got the swelling in his brain to go down and did an MRI. He's basically a vegetable, so the family made the decision I'd hate for anyone to have to make and pulled the plug on him. He's got pneumonia to boot. He made it through the night, but they're expecting him to pass at some point today from the fluid building in his lungs. His first grandchild was/is due in Dec.

Expect everyone to pull out in front of you because many will. This is the same thing that killed Jeremy (Montreux Blue)... someone failing to yield from a side road.

Enjoy the ride and the freedom... but yes, any given day.

P.S. Anyone offering prayers, his name is Ted Keefer and he is leaving behind a wife and two "kids", 18 and 20. He's got a HUGE heart and would do anything for anyone at any time of the day or night.
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                    I'll pray for him and his family !

Years ago a after high school buddy fell asleep on the way to work very early in the morn.. Docs said he has 1 in 100 survival chance and if he survives he has 1 in 100 chance of being functional. He came through asked the doc to put a piece of plastic in his skull with a U.S. flag on it, they did what he asked.

Well, as I said, there are other problems. I was talking to Ted's wife, and she told me that one of the bones from his lower leg that attaches to the ankle had been out from the crash. I said, "So you mean a compound fracture?" She said, "I don't know what you call it, but it was laying on the ground and they had to pick it up and bring it with him." They had re-attached the bone in surgery, but the foot/leg has become gangrene. They were going to remove the leg from the knee down yesterday, but due to the MRI report, that wasn't necessary. He surprised all the nurses and docs and made it through last night, but honestly, all he's doing is running up the hospital tab until the inevitable. So, if there was a way to get negative chance out of 100, he'd be there.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and be a downer on everyone. Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and prayers for Ted's family. This one's bothering me quite a bit, so thanks for letting me vent.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It happens

Coming home today. Only 10-12 miles from home. I'm in a 10,000 pound Dodge dually going around a fairly sharp curve. Here comes a fool in a van the other way half way in my lane. I had to move (swerve) over a lot to avoid a head-on collision - which may have been better for him had I decided to turn around and chase him down. But I'm too old for that kind of foolishness (or am I?).

MP
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

MP you could have done it but its not worth it, your word against his. No damage done and police did not see it no way to prove your point. The other issue is as soon as you chase him you become the agressor. I know that is not right but it is distorted.

I had a cousin about 15 years ago and a guy in a sports car side swiped his truck. Cousin turned around chased him down into Sears parking lot got out of the truck and while walking over to talk to him the guy ran over him in the parking lot in front of witnesses and ran. Months later they finally found the guy family was hidding him out and police charged him with murder. The guy came from a rich family and in the end he got off.

So understand maybe its best you are an older living man. This country no longer is a place where you have a right to stand up for right and wrong.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends