Vincent Black Shadow Sighting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Black Shadow Sighting!

I hadn't been to Cafe Pergolese on a Sunday morning in several weeks. This is a favorite watering hole of the Vampires Club: sort of a everything but Harleys club. They weren't there but there was a regular there: a Vincent rider from San Jose who rides over every Sunday morning on his '51 Black Shadow. I couldn't help but park next to his ride. I sat outside to eat my breakfast burrito and Irish Breakfast tea, and read the Sunday comics. I chatted the old boy up as he came out to get on his bike. He was a middle aged long hair with aged, worn leathers that complemented his aged worn face.
    His bike had an intersting story. He said that he named his bike “Dracula”: said that it had taken his life savings twice. He bought the bike at an auction in rough shape. It seems that some man of means had a son who had died on a Vincent, and became obsessed with buying every Vincent that he could to keep others off of them. He purchased them and put them in a barn where they languished for years until the old man died, and the bikes were put up for auction. Mr. V bought it, spent his savings restoring it, and has been riding it and sinking his life force into it ever since. My Camera wasn't ready when he left to catch a shot of his license plate which read: “NOS4RATOE”! This brother is no “poser.”
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Ed, I love those old bikes, the look of them anyway. However, after watching THIS Jay Leno's Garage, I am convinced I have neither the time nor funds to support one these.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

There is one here in Nanaimo, that lives very very close to me, but I can't find the exact house. Every once in awhile on a nice day it comes putt-putting down my road, and rides off. I am NEVER ready with a camera or a wave to talk to the guy. He even wears the old British style crash helmet with the Red Baron goggles, and a full leather 3/4 style riding coat from the era. Frigging awesome!
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Thanks for that link to Jay Lino's garage.

I knew there was a lot to these old bikes, and more that he didn't get to, but his rap was definitely worth checking out! Pity about that washed out spot in the middle of the pic. Turns out there was a smudge on my lens . But the guy is a regular, so I'll return with a clean lens and get a picture of his license plate next time.
        Special Ed
        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I had to look it up.

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (translated as Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror; or simply Nosferatu) is a 1922 German Expressionist horror film, directed by F. W. Murnau, starring Max Schreck as the vampire Count Orlok.
          I like it.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Working...
          X