URGENT ; need oil filler cap in sacramento area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT ; need oil filler cap in sacramento area

I am at the rancho cordova marriott tonight on the Iron butt rally and will need to be on the road 6 am tomorrow. I forgot to put the cap back on 200 miles back. Can anyone assist?
    Scott thornton
    nine 8 nine 241 one nine six eight
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Originally posted by RS Thornton View Post
    I am at the rancho cordova marriott tonight on the Iron butt rally and will need to be on the road 6 am tomorrow. I forgot to put the cap back on 200 miles back. Can anyone assist?
    Scott thornton
    nine 8 nine 241 one nine six eight
    Bummer Scott!...............go buy a bottle of cheap wine......pour it out and pound in the tapered cork til you happen by a bike shop of any kind. Never seen a bike shop yet that someone didn't have one in there tool box that'll fit. Fairly common size used.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Bummer Scott!...............go buy a bottle of cheap wine......pour it out and pound in the tapered cork til you happen by a bike shop of any kind. Never seen a bike shop yet that someone didn't have one in there tool box that'll fit. Fairly common size used.
      BTW Scott, that number went to "no longer in service".
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Home Depot as many sizes of rubber stoppers that you can screw down into the threads. Will work fine till you can locate the proper oil cap.
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Hi Moto,
          cheap wine is all screw-top these days and a wine bottle cork is too small anyway. A knobby cork off a Champagne bottle might work.
          Wine-kit shop should stock big-enough corks though.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

A little late Scott, but, aluminum foil waded up and twisted in will work just fine till you get a new one.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

thanks!

I few friends in the parking lot found that pipe plugs work and gave me a ziplock back with three plugs and a roll of teflon tape. I managed to get to end of rally without forgetting to replace the plug again. It is interesting what errors you can make during times of stress and fatique
              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Filler cap

I went out in my junk and found one. You are welcome to it. I am in Elk Grove, about 10 miles south of downtown Sacramento about 1/2 mile off of hwy 99.

Guy Lytle
                916-662-6221
                8762 Gemstone Court
                Elk Grove 95624
                "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Oops

Now I look at the date on the request. You are long gone!!
                  "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X