Weave and Wobble and and XS110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weave and Wobble and and XS110

A link to this video was posted on another forum in a discussion about weave and wobble. Any racing fans, especially F1 of an earlier era will recognize Murray Walker and what appears to be an XS 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fvsDIq3WwVA

Hope that never happens to me! I am not light at all so hopefully that will help. I wonder how many stones I am?
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Stones and things

A few thoughts.
      14 pounds to the stone, John was 10 1/2 so 147, the other guy was 11 1/2 so 161.
      Early motocross four strokes were BSA Victors. They handled bloody awful. Hit a bump, break your thumbs. Geoff Smith road them. I met him when he worked for CanAm.
      I noticed with 50% of the video done, there was 50% to go. Murray Joke.
      Murray"s dad was a good rider.
      There were holes in the bottom of Murray's visor, likely to stop it fogging.
      The Suzuki was a water buffalo.
      I have never seen any bike wobble and weave like that. Phooie to the riders weight. Tell that to Jim Dunn, Steve Baker and Valentino Rossi.
      Rossi stands on the pegs with both hands in the air.
      Murray worked in an add agency that had the Dunlop contract.
      The old Dunlop TT100 were good tyres.
      He never said anything about the back wheel correctly following the front.
      Everything I road went straight except for a CanAm that I used an 18 inch front wheel on, instead of the 21 inch. That was to get a street tyre for the track. It wandered at about 90mph.
      I had one tank slapper type wobble at the Seattle track, when the back wheel slid out at around 80mph.
      My Suzuki goes dead straight at speeds faster than Yami can go, Same goes for my old 68 Norton, that went as fast as any Norton ever did.
      Murray's biography is a good book to read.
      Unkle Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
        A few thoughts.
        14 pounds to the stone, John was 10 1/2 so 147, the other guy was 11 1/2 so 161.
        Early motocross four strokes were BSA Victors. They handled bloody awful. Hit a bump, break your thumbs. Geoff Smith road them. I met him when he worked for CanAm.
        I noticed with 50% of the video done, there was 50% to go. Murray Joke.
        Murray"s dad was a good rider.
        There were holes in the bottom of Murray's visor, likely to stop it fogging.
        The Suzuki was a water buffalo.
        I have never seen any bike wobble and weave like that. Phooie to the riders weight. Tell that to Jim Dunn, Steve Baker and Valentino Rossi.
        Rossi stands on the pegs with both hands in the air.
        Murray worked in an add agency that had the Dunlop contract.
        The old Dunlop TT100 were good tyres.
        He never said anything about the back wheel correctly following the front.
        Everything I road went straight except for a CanAm that I used an 18 inch front wheel on, instead of the 21 inch. That was to get a street tyre for the track. It wandered at about 90mph.
        I had one tank slapper type wobble at the Seattle track, when the back wheel slid out at around 80mph.
        My Suzuki goes dead straight at speeds faster than Yami can go, Same goes for my old 68 Norton, that went as fast as any Norton ever did.
        Murray's biography is a good book to read.
        Unkle Crusty
        Exactly right, none of those bikes shown would do that, not without rider input. That oughta' tell ya what I think of the video.........pre-staged. Any bike in decent frame/suspension condition WANTS to track straight and stay upright while rolling. Surprised he didn't try to promote/sell Dunlop tires at some point in the video. BTW, the Beeser 650 wasn't bad when hung in a Richman frame. As for moto-x, ever remember Adolf Weils or Beng Abrerg?(spelling sucks).....saw both of them and some other famous Euro mot.xer's at the first American Inter-Am held in the U.S. of all places, Cherry Creek, east of Denver,Colo. Sept. 1970. Also, all those scoots shown in the moto-x videos were 1980's vintage.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Guess I have to ask if you are ever involved in a high speed wobble would you try the method he says or would you try to ride it out? On the other hand how would laying down on the tank do you any good with a wind jammer attached?
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            Guess I have to ask if you are ever involved in a high speed wobble would you try the method he says or would you try to ride it out? On the other hand how would laying down on the tank do you any good with a wind jammer attached?
            Can't say I ever had a high-speed wobble. Had ahigh-speed weave on the ST once when hit by a rouge cross-wind at a GPS'ed 134mph on the Interstate. I'm sure the large Givi tail trunk attributed to that. Just had to back out of it till it straightened out at 115mph. Even though the bike easily pushes thru that 130mph 'wall', I avoid the tripple digits cept for the occassional quick burst. No 'performance awards' for 25+yrs. and prefer to keep it that way.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Ras, the windjammer attached may be enough to stop it ever happening, as it changes the weight distribution. But, even if it did occur, laying down would still help as it is more about weight distribution between the wheels than aerodynamics.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I have experienced that but not that violently. The only time I've had it happen was in a sweeping curve.

That was when I had the bar mounted windshield, I've only felt it very slightly and only a couple times since I've been riding with a fairing and that was at speeds above 90.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have seen that happen. I saw it on the interstate at high speed on an XS1100 standard. I don't remember who's bike it was. There was a load on the luggage rack. The load was moved forward to the pillion and the problem went away.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Hey Ras, the windjammer attached may be enough to stop it ever happening, as it changes the weight distribution. But, even if it did occur, laying down would still help as it is more about weight distribution between the wheels than aerodynamics.
                    I have experienced it once with the Jammer on and it was only a slight wobble. I was racing two other XS11's at the time though and we were over 120 MPH. I did not know about the weight distribution, so I could not attest as to whether it works or not. It does make the back hole close up so the putty does not escape though, I will attest to that.
                    You bring up an excellent point, as the laying down may have changed the weight distribution enough to stop it. I did win by the way and they both asked me to set their bikes up to run that fast. I told them that as long as I was their mechanic, they would never be able to beat me.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I don't know how many of you saw the movie The Worlds Fastest Indian, but in one of the scenes Burt figured out that the weight of the fairing behind the bikes center of gravity was causing his high speed wobble, so he loaded the front with lead. Same principle, maybe.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                        I don't know how many of you saw the movie The Worlds Fastest Indian, but in one of the scenes Burt figured out that the weight of the fairing behind the bikes center of gravity was causing his high speed wobble, so he loaded the front with lead. Same principle, maybe.

CZ
                        True CZ. I learned decades back when I first owned my Venturer that the bike stayed stable in heavy, gusting crosswinds by putting feet out on the road pegs creating a bit more load on front of bike, something I knew about, but definitely convinced me after trying it. Any method of putting a bit more weight on front of a scoot stabilizes the front-end at highway speeds. The LaminarLip on the shield of my ST creates a slight added downward air pressure on front of bike enough that when at the rear corner of an 18wheeler there is no bobble whatsoever and smooth as runnin' in 'clean' air. That right there tells me there's definitely an effect from the added down pressure on front of a bike. As a sidenote, don't think I'll be putting lead bars in the fairing compartments of the Venturer though.

Comment

Been there at high speed I have full farring and bags letting off throttle hard made it worse was after hitting a rise in the road. Rear tire was well worn front tire new probably the cause had to gradually slow down nearly turned to a tank slapper. Leaning forward with power on pulled it out of wobble.
                          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                          1980 G Silverbird
                          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                          1198 Overbore kit
                          Grizzly 660 ACCT
                          Barnett Clutch Springs
                          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                          122.5 Main Jets
                          ACCT Mod
                          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                          Antivibe Bar ends
                          Rear trunk add-on
                          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Rickman

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            BTW, the Beeser 650 wasn't bad when hung in a Richman frame. As for moto-x, ever remember Adolf Weils or Beng Abrerg?(spelling sucks).....saw both of them and some other famous Euro mot.xer's at the first American Inter-Am held in the U.S. of all places, Cherry Creek, east of Denver,Colo. Sept. 1970. Also, all those scoots shown in the moto-x videos were 1980's vintage.
                            Met a bunch of the early euro motocross riders in Hawaii in 68 where it was popular.
                            Bought a new 71 Norton Commando ( piece of junk ) should have bought a Rickman frame but they only had Royal Enfield motors in them.
                            Followed guy over several sets of railway tracks at an angle going to the Liverpool docks. He on a Rickman, me on the Commando.
                            He was nice and smooth, I was like a pregnant cow in quicksand ( Mike Hailwood quote ) Damn near lost that wobble machine right there.
                            Did buy a Rickman frame tho for another guy.
                            My worlds fastest Norton had a Reynolds frame that was very similar.
                            My 125 dirt bike had a Rickmans frame and it was a sweetheart.

Unkle Crusty
                            Last edited by Crusty Snippets; 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X