bike history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike history

Ok, so I got my 79 xs1100s from a guy on a whim buy. Told me that the bike had sat for 17 years in a garage and was cared for. He told me that the carbs had been rebuilt (which in my defense everything looks and feels new). Upon getting it I finally got it started one day and took it riding. When I was riding it was sluggish to say the least going from 1st to 2nd. It felt like I was shifting way to early and that it wanted to die. It did die several times on the ride that was just around my block. I then came home to find that my petcocks were leaking. Since I am one of the many on a very very very tight budget I have tried everything under the sun and moon to avoid having to buy a 34 dollar rebuild kit. I then thought that I had everything fixed on it and no more gas leak. Man was I wrong. Gas started coming out of the octy. So after speaking with members here I decided to remove the octy and go with a simplier set up and get rid of the prime. upon doing that I have now since broken a idle mixture screw that sits in the carbs and cannot keep the bike running. I have since then thought of tossing in the towel and giving up riding in a whole because it is getting to expensive for me. I have bought a BV250 as a first bike then traded that for a goldwing GL1100 in which I was heavily stiffed and screwed on and then I bought a honda cb750 in which it doesnt even feel like starting so I have given that to my brother to have him work on and to have and then I bought this 1979 xs1100s because it looked nice and seemed simple enough to get running. Man have I been wrong. When it starts the number 1 exhaust gets hot but the others dont, wont start on me, stuff keeps seeming to mess up and on top of that all things keep failing on me. I am truly at wits end with motorcycles in a whole. The whole idea was to be able to save on gas since I only bring home 300.00 every 2 weeks and that I would be able to get my own place and get out of my parents again but alas I cannot. Even if I decide to give up riding and drive my truck then that in a whole for gas is 150.00 every 2 weeks. I have tried everything I can. Even a simple petcock for 30.00 is to much. Yes I know that I am cheap but at the same time arent we all? Why cant I get a simple break and just have a working solid motorcycle?
    79 SF

Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?

1983 GL1100 bored to a 1300 sold
    1976cb750 project gifted to brother
    1979 xs1100s currently working on

Wanting to have that head turner that makes people shut up!

First off, I feel your pain, believe me. While my life has gotten me to a better over all financial place then your currently at, I also have a SWMBO who thinks motorcycles are the devil himself at times. So every penny I spend on one is scrutinized. But for my own sanity I need to work on them as I just enjoy fixing things, and it is much easier to work on bikes than on cars. Less space, more access to all of the components, and I can tear one completely down and still only use maybe half of my garage.

As to your newest bike, a lot of times on these bikes that sit forever, all the rubber components are going to be in tough shape. Rubber likes to have fluids around it to keep it working properly, rubber like the petcock seals and valves, the rubber seals on the Octy. You may also find that a lot of electrical components and their connections are corroded. Lack of use lets the corrosion build instead of getting "scraped" off from use. That will be a lot of hours chasing down problems until you just go through everything end to end and clean all of the electrical connectors on the bike, and take apart the switches and clean those up as well. And chances are, your going to keep finding little "nickle dime" things that need to be replaced. It is just part of bringing a bike out of deep hibernation.

Now you will be hard pressed to find someone who is more of a cheapazz than I am. I have bought three bikes very inexpensively. The last one I got $150 (the Katana). It sat since 2009. So far, I have $650 in it, and I noticed last night the rear tire is cracking badly in all the grooves, so there is another $150 easy. (BTW, do check your tires carefully, you think the bike is expensive, try the medical bills if you have a bad wreck from a blowout). And yes, I hear about every penny I spend on it. Now, this bike had been wrecked, and it sat out in an apartment parking lot exposed to the elements and to kids pushing it over and such for 5 years, so it was in some tough shape.

Good news is, your bike was well cared for. So you will have a much easier time of it. But, it will still serve you well to take your spare time over a few weeks and methodically go through the entire bike front to back greasing all the bearings, cleaning all the electrical connectors, and changing all the fluids out.

If the bike sat for 17 years since the carbs were last cleaned, you will need to clean them. You will need to have some good carb cleaner, some PB Blaster or the like, and some patience. You may not need to buy anything. Even the broken mixture screws you have can be made to work. Take a file and some fine sand paper and reshape the tips back to match the unbroken ones.

Now, if you want a bike you can just jump on and ride, your not going to get that picking up bikes that sat for a long time, or picking up bikes some knucklehead neglected and beat on till it quit working. And your not going to get those cheaply.

I will give you this boost to your moral though, the XS11 is one of the toughest and most durable bikes I have seen over the years. So, once you get the bugs worked out, it should give you miles and miles of smiles. But it is a 30 year old machine, so every now and then it will remind you she wants some TLC, and you will need to fix something.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

+1 to everything Don said! An old neglected (or even moderatly cared for but unused) bike will nickel and dime you for some time till you get things worked out. Best bet almost to to strip the thing down and just clean it, clean off the dust, clean ALL elecrical connections, grease every joint and bearing you can find.

The care that it has not received over the years is still owed it and by now that is a lot of care. Much of it can be done without buying things but you will need some stuff (i personally would just replace those needles, you will never get them shaped exactly right).
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ahh, to be that age again and think a 35 year-old bike should start and run on the first push of the button like a fuel injected modern car. Truth is, even fuses cost money, and those are things u never expect to go. Oh my goodness, if I were to add up the money spent on my 11 alone (metric bolts are more expensive than standard) . . .

My advice would be to stick with it, as the ends will justify the means. If you can, try to find a cheaper, alternative way of transportation till you get your bike going. Judging by your financial situation, the bike will not be safe to ride anytime soon ($240+) for both tires. Take the Summer to really get to know your bike. Clymer manuals are a little expensive, so download one off Catatonic's site in his signature. There are really no special tools needed to work on these bikes. Anything I.have bought, just made things easier.

Good-luck to you and ask plenty of questions.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Maybe you need to step back and take a breath and then put it in perspective. I agree with the others.
          I also know that if you take your downtime, and ask questions here, you will get all the help you need to get it running .And, you will learn a couple of things along the way. Stick with it and you will win. Quit, and you always lose.
          You can do this.
          Good Luck
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hi Don,
            you chose the wrong bike for being simple. A 3 speed single cylinder side valve bike is simple while an XS11 has at least 4 of everything.
            And as you have discovered, those skinny tips on the '79 slow running needles break off for a pastime.
            Nor is an XS11 particularly fuel efficient. But let's suppose that using it rather than the truck cuts your fuel bill in half.
            That's $37.50 a week to spend on carb parts, eh?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I don't want simple cause simple means I don't learn and turn heads. I want that bike that people whistle over and watch. I want that bike I can go on rides and know I'm safe. To know I have a piece of history. I just get discouraged. To have a bike start up and then become this issue pisses me off cause makes me think I did something wrong to it. I admit this site has a wealth of knowledge and you all help me so much. I am 29 years old and didn't start riding till this year. I've worked in bikes for years but never rode one. I see all these ads for nice bikes and I want to put them to shame.
              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by dondons1984 View Post
                I don't want simple cause simple means I don't learn and turn heads. I want that bike that people whistle over and watch. I want that bike I can go on rides and know I'm safe. To know I have a piece of history. I just get discouraged. To have a bike start up and then become this issue pisses me off cause makes me think I did something wrong to it. I admit this site has a wealth of knowledge and you all help me so much. I am 29 years old and didn't start riding till this year. I've worked in bikes for years but never rode one. I see all these ads for nice bikes and I want to put them to shame.
                Hi don,
                um, you are the one that said it was simple
                I bought this 1979 xs1100s because it looked nice and seemed simple enough to get running.
                But (apart from breaking off that needle, and we've all done that) you have done nothing wrong.
                It's being sat for 17 years not moving that has brought your bike to it's current condition.
                So, what they all said, clean every single electrical connection and go from there.
                My own little tip:-
                Tear down your carbs in a cafeteria tray so those little parts can't get lost.
                And those 17 year old tires are NOT highway safe, old age has made them FUBAR even if they look perfect.
                If the XS11 is truly your first riding experience, beware!
                The XS11 is a widowmaker if you don't know what you are doing.
                "Let's be careful out there"
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Better understanding of your situation is a big help here for us trying to help with getting your scoot underway...thanks. With that, I and sure others(specially us ancient ones) will keep in mind that we were where you are at at one time. Experience, trial and error has for us old guys required us in decades past to come up with 'fixes' without having to break the bank, and at same time done with safety in mind. The re-shaping of mix screws was a good suggestion IMO, considering your finances. Patience is key doing things out of the norm, knowing if screwed up money spent is the only option. One of these bikes 'moth balled' is way easier to bring back to running decent than one that someone who was clueless and had their fingers in......holds true whether a bike or cage. In my case, my better half(SWMBO) could care less what I spend on anything automotive, as she realizes that anything that goes vvrrooom....vvrrooom IS my passion, but also knows I have limits(cheap-ass) and tend to 'fix' if possible, to the point of her saying why not just replace it instead of screwin' with it. Guess that comes from the past, not being part of the 'throw-away' society. NOS cosmetic and purposed pieces for my model, if I don't already have, got no issue purchasing and have many a time to keep it 'new' lookin' and as original as I bought it new. Back to your situation, ask here first, follow that without skipping something YOU may not think is important, and you'll end up with a running scoot, knowledge you didn't have before, a positive self satisfaction, able to pass some of that 'forward', and best of all.......a permanent grin.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I was/ am in kind of the same boat. I got my xs off of craigslist for 400 and all i was told it needed was the fuel T's and the carbs put back on. Well that was wrong. Once the carbs were on that led to all the other issues of the first gear was shot and the bike wouldnt pull its self. The timing chain is having issues and the top end of the engine is making noise. Valve adjustment Im hoping. lol. One thing leads to another.

These guys here have been nothing but help and have helped me a lot and it hasnt cost a thing. Slowly its coming along. It would be faster if i wasnt getting side tracked with other things.

Like others have said before. Just take your time. Baby steps. In the end you will have a nice bike. As I was told, get it mechanicaly sound first then work on the cosmetics.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything that I can do.
                    1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
                    1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
                    1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
                    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
                    1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
                    1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
                    1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
                    1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
                    RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

hey guys thanks for all the help and advice. Today Greg walked me through fixing my carbs in which we discovered a small pinhole in one of the floats so I am looking for a new one on that. Then we discovered the PO is full of s*** saying the carbs were rebuilt. They were full of green dried out crap that took forever to clean out and 2 bottles of carb cleaner but now they are shiny and clean and just waiting to be put back together and run like they are suppose to. I also realized when I was just staring at my bike that it looked kind of dull in the sense of color and that black is to common with them. I started digging through my paints since I do airbrushing and automotive painting professionally as a hobby and found some eggshell that I sprayed on and then I am going to do a baby blue pinstriping job on it then clear coat it. I am going to keep the original black frame though but also put small pinstripes on it too. I also found out that the gasket that goes into our petcocks were shot on both sides. I cleaned those out and now they are spotless. Filters are clean on them and ready to just be reassembled. Little bit by bit. It is looking better every day and I know that sooner or later this bad a$$ ride is going to come see a lot of you. Given that Andreas is closest to me I think I ride to him one day. lol. then next on the list is Oklahoma to see Greg.
                      79 SF

Comment

Lookin good

For me it's funny as the bike starts looking more like I want it to/better the more I want to work on it !
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                        80 XS 1100 SG
                        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

The more you do, the more you learn and the closer it is being a functional bike. The closer it gets to being functional, the more the "turd" deserves a good polishing. Then one day what started out as a piece of yard art, non running and looking like this

ends up a bike you could take on the IBR and looking like this

But it took a lot of hours to get there.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Just take it one thing at a time. Use elbow grease in place of $$ works well on some things.

I agree with Fred, unless you are riding 30mph and less thru town, tires should be first on list. Front first, then rear.

Don't get discouraged.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I am actually searching for tires. seeing a lot that want around 135.00 a pop for a tire. but hey when it is my safety on the line I think it will be worth it. The other part I am looking at is upgrading the brake lines to steel course that is later in life.
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X