Hotfoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotfoot

Ran an errand on my rig in town today, rode mebbe 10 miles total.
    Got a funny feeling through my boot at my right ankle after a while.
    When I got home I felt the clutch cover, hot enough to feel through the leather, too hot to comfortably touch.
    Mind you, it's 92ºF out which is an unusually high temperature for Saskatoon.
    OK then,
    has Mr. Stupid just never noticed the hot casting before, or is it just the hot weather doing it or is the bike in trouble so I will have to do something about it?
    And if so, what?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
    Ran an errand on my rig in town today, rode mebbe 10 miles total.
    Got a funny feeling through my boot at my right ankle after a while.
    When I got home I felt the clutch cover, hot enough to feel through the leather, too hot to comfortably touch.
    Mind you, it's 92ºF out which is an unusually high temperature for Saskatoon.
    OK then,
    has Mr. Stupid just never noticed the hot casting before, or is it just the hot weather doing it or is the bike in trouble so I will have to do something about it?
    And if so, what?
    I've seen my oil temps hit 235ºF when it was 92ºF here in Oregon. I need to get an oil cooler on it ASAP!

Larry
    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
    82 XJ1100
    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
    64 Yamaha YA-6
    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Its hard to get exact numbers from any manufacture on this issue but in general, temp range should be above 180*F and below 240-250*F. Much more than 240*F (continuous) with conventional oil the life can be cut in half. Maybe the high running temp of our bikes partially explains why Yamaha suggests changing oil at 2000 mile intervals (in addition to wet clutch reasons)? Same theory for synthetics but up to 280*F (so I've read).

Heres some good reading about Oil base stock and clears some myths about oils...

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief10%2...e%20Stocks.pdf
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Normal Temperature

I am suggesting that the "feel" through your boot is a normal temperature for an air cooled bike on a hot day. Imagine what it would feel like to your bare hand. There aren't too many parts of these bike (engines) that you are willing to touch when they are at operating temperature. Might want to take a temperature reading with a laser gun just to get an idea.

MP
        Last edited by MPittma100; 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Fred it was almost 42 degrees here today in the sun so tomorrow may be your day to get this weather. I was hanging chutes on my mixer (which are light grey in color) and they were almost too hot to hold. This unknown to us weather has us all a bit wary about stuff. I would not sweat it a lot until things return to more normal.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Panic over

Thanks for all the reassuring replies.
            I ran the same errand this morning when it was only 68ºF and although that same case was still just about too warm to hold my hand on, it was definitely cooler than last time.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Is it clutch slipage? Is that possible to heat the case and not be noticeable in the riding quality? Just thinking out loud.
              Ole Jack
              J.D."Jack" Smith
              1980G&S "Halfbreed"
              1978E straight job
              "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
                Is it clutch slipage? Is that possible to heat the case and not be noticeable in the riding quality? Just thinking out loud.
                Ole Jack
                Hi Jack,
                good lateral thinking but the alternator cover was equally hot as was the ignition cover on t'other side so I'm tending to discount clutch slip as a cause.
                Especially as clutch slip would really be noticeable on a sidecar rig.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X