Update from the Past few weeks w/some add-ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from the Past few weeks w/some add-ons

Well I think I have officially owned my new bike (1981 xs 1100H) for about 3 weeks now. What a blast it has been. I am almost to 1900 mi. Been a slow week this past week for me for riding as work got busy.

A few new add on's I have added. As you can see in pics,

I have added a mount for my android (always good to see who is calling as I work mainly on-call). Ended up buying the assorted mount pack and using an U bolt connected to my handle bar.

Below that I installed a waterproof Cigarette lighter which is hard wired into my battery.

I also purchased some Mirror extenders that are well worth it! I can finally see more then my body without shifting out of the way.

On the right side I have a ram mount installed on the Brake lever mount for my Garmin Quest 2 GPS. I hard wired this into the accessory plug near the fuse box.

I have also tried to cleaned the engine. It's been a slow process and still not sure what's the best way yet other then taking it apart and sand blast or something. worked so far is a dreamel with stainless brush and 45 cali. cleaning brushes attached to my cordless drill. The shine I have been using Never Dull then rubbed out with a cloth (bike is dirty though atm)

I also ended up purchasing a cheaper HID light from ebay and installed that.

The HID light was a serious PIA. Ended up having to buy a new head light plug and find out which wire went to were then figure out how to fit everything. Ended up putting everything in the fairing and using double sided velcro to hold it together. I have to un plug all electronics and start the bike with a little throttle or the light won't kick on. I figure once I change the fuse panel/box I may not have to do this anymore.
    I do however keep crimps and tools in a bag, along with the H4 bulb incase the HID goes out (I do a lot of night driving). Also it's bright but aimed well with no people flashing me as of yet.

And the piano hinge on my right bag is/was riveted to the top. Well those rivets feel the need to pop out. So I took some small screws with washers and nylon nuts and drilled 3 holes in the bag lid. Filled the holes with clear silcone and tighten up the bolts. works way better and way more sturdier. My left lid just broke in the same way, so one of these nights I get to do it again.

But right now the old lady is sitting in my trailer getting ready to head to the mechanics as my #2 Header/Swivel decided to snap/come off last night while doing 80 mph down the free way. Now it won't run . I recovered the header, which I am not even sure is use-able and the swivel is MIA. I am hoping the mechanic has some spare parts as the wait time for the online orders is 2-3 weeks.

One thing I had to do since I don't have the upgraded fuse panel/box yet. Is to take a dremel and polish up the mounts for the fuse's. Helped a bunch as the corrosion/oxidation was messing up the currents.

To top it off here is one of me in my rain/cold weather gear (excluding the camo frog togs).

-Lance
    81 XS11 Tourer

Nice start - hope you don't have to wait so long on parts -- getting to the best part of summer!

BTW I had the #3 header pipe and retaining ring fall off on the highway also - found the pipe and retainer ring after an hour searching but had to jury rig nuts to get to next town and Yamaha dealer for exhaust nuts. Now checking their tightness is on my get ready checklist!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

How well does that RAM X-Mount hold? I have been trying to decide which mount to get for my phone and just cant quite decide. That X-Mount one just kind of scares me....
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

N- The mount has held up great so far. It was the first upgrade I did after owning the bike(first week). I have never had to readjust the android device. I can swipe the password to open, make calls, text while it's in the holder.

I do however have an Otter Box protection cover on my droid. Could help with the gripeness. My dad turned me on it, and he uses them on both his his bikes. One being that he rides professionally with.

So, to some it up...I would try and talk you into it if I could. But my work is my phone so it's a piroity for me to see who is calling.

What I did is go to ram-mount website. Get the parts numbers. Then go to gpscity.com and order from there. Great company, fast shipping and you save a few bucks.

-Lance
        81 XS11 Tourer

Comment

Working...
        X