Buying and Selling on XS11.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying and Selling on XS11.com

In the interest of keeping the peace between buyers and sellers here I submit a few tips:

Sellers:
    1. Post part descriptions completely including year bike the part came off of - if you don't know just say that up front.
    2. Pictures - closeup and detailed as possible - avoids questions from 5 members asking for more pics - just do the work up front.
    3. Price - don't say make an offer - just adds to further back and forth - you know what you want for them - man up! Unless its free, then "you da man"
    4. Shipping - know (and state) what shipping will run for lower 48 - you can check flat rate shipping and add handling if needed, but just add handling into the price. Price shipped is always easier - buying in person may get a discount. It isn't hard and you can always quote a bit high and cheerfully refund $ some later. If you are real nice you will check USPS to parts of Canada (they hate UPS up there)
    5. Payment - know how you want to get paid - cash, money order, paypal and say so up front - I registered for a Square personal credit card scanner for in person payments by charge card (mostly for CL but it could work here too).

Buyers:
    1. PM the user after posting that you want it on the ad - PMs get sent via email and may generate a quicker response - If its Andreas Weiss he ALWAYS wants the PM because he isn't on the site much so don't post on his ad threads. He's a good guy and reasonable so lets support him when we can.
    2. The site USPS.com and www.shipgreyhound.com/ will give YOU an idea about shipping costs in case seller neglected #4 above. I have shipped big items like fairings for under $70 cross country - sometimes people want stuff that bad.
    3. Make a fair offer if you feel its too expensive, but accept "No" gracefully
    4. Be prepared to drop that check in the mail or PayPal - nothing worse than thinking you have sold something and 2 days later be told "I don't have the money til payday"
    5. Research - check the forum posts in advance for if this will work on your bike - the info is there for the reading in most cases.

It seems like most of the time there is a good family atmosphere - but it is still important to be thorough in planning your selling and buying to avoid problems -

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Excellent advice....

I would add one more thing each for sellers and buyers...

Sellers: say how quickly you will respond to enquiries. If you're ready to ship as soon as you get payment, say so. If your work/life schedule is such that it may take some time, say that so there's no misunderstanding.

Buyers: be patient. Most sellers here are offering parts to try to help fellow members, few are dedicated resellers and aren't set up to accept some forms of payment and ship at the drop of a hat.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'd just like to add to this one minor thing... sellers should state the location of the item/part for sale. That way the buyer can perform said number 2 is seller neglects responsibility #4.

I smell a sticky for the For Sale section.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
      X