Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is a little something for the chopper guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a little something for the chopper guys.

The rest of you might get a kick out of it too!

Never underestimate an old rat bike.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Reminds me of a quote from an engine builder.... "Horsepower sells motors, torque wins races..."
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That had me rolling....

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

So now that some of you are stoked, here is a start on your very own "Rat" bike.
        http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3780955874.html

CZ

Comment

More torque for the Yammi?

I have often thought about getting more torque out of my XJ, but all I've seen on the site concerned horsepower. Is it possible to "stroke" these motors?
          "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

I love it...."Its got no brakes on front"...then as he puts his helmet on "safety first, you know".
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Yeah. I think some members take 1100's to 1300-1400cc, but through pistons/sleeves and not stroking. I've never had an 11 apart but I imagine there isn't much room for longer stroke cranks in the case. From the posts I've read good kits are rarer all the time and in general 11 mods result in little power per dollar.

It all depends on application. Diesel tractors are diesels for a reason just as most road course vehicles use low displacement high-revving engines built for horsepower, not torque. Toss a pierce arrow 12-cylinder into an F1 car and see how that works out.

I don't find it surprising a larger displacement per cylinder twin bests a high-revving four in such a short race. Had they gone even 1/8 mile that race would look quite different. Not that I'm advocating the benefits of riding a motorcycle where my elbows would hit my knees in prison position. I'd likely take the chopper, sport bike riding positions are horrible. A Busa or a ZX14 I could do.
              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Hardly Ableson

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                The rest of you might get a kick out of it too!

Never underestimate an old rat bike.
                Way back I was forced into taking my buds new soft tail for a ride. I hit the gas for the on ramp, just before entering the slab I looked to my left and I was pulling into the slow lane right in front of a black car, pulled in front of him and looked again. He was an unmarked squad, I was well ahead, let off looked at the speedo doing 85 in a 55, let off the throttle more to 65 and kept going to the next off, he kept going
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post

I don't find it surprising a larger displacement per cylinder twin bests a high-revving four in such a short race. Had they gone even 1/8 mile that race would look quite different.
                  I would put my old 78 against it - it pulled so strong off the line - but my 80? no way, does much better from a rolling start.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

I'd like to pit my imaginary Pratt and Whitney R2800 powered motorcycle against anything on the planet. Hell' I'd pit that against a rocket.

Sound like fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVD7m9gqQ8M

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

That particular engine was not very impressive. They should have skipped filming the first few minutes.

But the horsepower!

John

Comment

155 CI per cylinder. You should go to a flight museum and check them out if you haven't seen one apart before. Amazing engines, the most amazing piston engines ever built and all from the early 40's. I'm a bit obsessed.

At our local museum they have cut-up R2800's and one R4360. Looking at how those engine operate is incredible. Dual distributors, two plugs a hole, cam lobes on the crank shaft, valve timing, plug wire routing, valve sizes, dual blowers built into the case, etc...

The overwhelming majority of 'wear' items on those engines are built to service for the next 500 years. I have never fathomed anything with a piston so robust.

Comment

I saw this one a while back and thought it would be a hoot to ride.

John

Comment

If you could build that into a standard with a decent size fuel tank, count me in!

Radials are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X