Engine bolt different in 78 vs 80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bolt different in 78 vs 80?

I want to buy some floorboards and the instructions specifically say they are for a 1980-1982 shaft drive XS1100. I asked the seller if they would fit a ‘78 XS1100 and his mechanic told him the following:

Unfortunately they will not fit the 78 or 79 XS1100. The engine bolt is in a different spot.

Here’s my question to the XS1100 world: is the engine bolt in a different spot on these models?

Thanks!
    Jerry F.
    <t///><
    CMA & Champions for Life
    1978 XS1100E Stnd

I'd say their mechanic is full of crap. You can swap any engine into any frame, and that wouldn't be possible if the rear engine thru bolt were in a different place or size!! It's right below the middle gear, it holds the driver footpegs in place, and goes thru the first front hole of the aluminum flattened triangle that the passenger pegs are mounted to!!

What you'll want to be aware of is the location of your pipes in respect to the footpegs and how the boards come out or down from that location as to whether it will fit/conform!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm just uneasy at the thought of forking over $250 (or more) to find out it won't fit afterall... decisions, decisions... Thanks,
      Jerry F.
      <t///><
      CMA & Champions for Life
      1978 XS1100E Stnd

Comment

Frame numbers are different!

I found out from my local Yamaha dealer/mechanic that the frame numbers are different on the 78/79 vs. 80/82 frames, so these floorboards probably won't fit. I just saved myself a $250 mistake! Bummer too, I really wanted these floorboards, anyone out there wanna part with theirs off your 78/79??? Lemme know!
        Jerry F.
        <t///><
        CMA & Champions for Life
        1978 XS1100E Stnd

Comment

The difference in part number is because the side cover tab/pegs are different across all the Specials and some of the standards. There could also be some seat mount differences. The standard and special have different part number with in the same year as well (except maybe '81).

I am looking at a '78, '79 standard, '79 Special and '80 Special at the moment and can find no difference in the engine/foot peg location or size. I owned a '79 Standard with an '81 Special motor in it at one time, so I am sure there is no difference.

I would have to say NO, on "is the engine bolt different in '78 vs '80".
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Alt floorboards

FWIW, my 'homebuilt' floorboards are HD units that didn't have hardware, so I built a mount that fits in the original footpeg bracket. I can use either pegs or boards, as the boards do decrease cornering clearance. I use the stock brake lever, and have replaced the stock shift lever shown with a Honda heel-toe unit. Works OK for long rides. Couple photos:

Units are from Drag Specialties, and upper plate is rubber-mounted to lower plate to absorb vibration. Original hardware was not available as replacement parts. I paid around $35.00 for boards and material to make the mounts.

Not as nice as floorboards with forward controls and all, but better comfort than stock pegs, and price was a lot less than full boards.

Got the idea to try these at the South Dakota rally a couple years ago when I say them mounted on a Harley. Figured they might fit the XJ.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
            X