No announcement yet.

Do you ride Naked or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever encounter a june bug with your adams apple at 75 or 80? I can testify that it takes your breath away quite efficiently.

I never liked windshields and especially fairings as far as looks go but the fact is I ain't riding to look good like some other bike brand zealots.

I'm old and spoiled on my fairing and I like having storage space (bags) so if I go to the store for something, or go on a trip it has it's own seat.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Full windshield, bags, rack..etc.
      79F
      "Excelsior"
      Honda gl1100 handlebar
      Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
      OE headers,Jardine slipons
      Hid headlight 6000k
      Stock jets
      Shinko 712 F & R
      Oe hardbags and luggage rack
      TC fuse block
      K&n filter with oe airbox
      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

I use what some call a 'fly screen'. Very small but at cruising speeds it throws enough wind around you to make it comfortable. I have posted this picture before and it shows my shield. This is a one-off I made from a defunct windshield but you can buy similar shields. I love it.

Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

No bags, no windshield, 3 luggage racks and a sidecar (sidecar does have a windshield)
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have a bike for all occasions.
            The XVZ1200 is my full dresser
            The XJ750 (wife’ bike) has a screen only
            The XJ1100 (again wife’s bike) will also have a screen as soon as it comes in
            The XS1100 LG Naked
            The XS1100 SH Naked (sometimes has thowover bags)
            The XJ1100 (mine) will have bags and a wind Screen, no trunk. (in progress)
            The XS1100 E will be naked (also In progress)

I’m just missing a sidecar. One of these days I’ll get one of those too.

Currently I'm the only one riding much so I get to have my pick of bikes to ride.
            (Wife workes from home, daughter is staying with her in-laws and son is on a 2 year mission)
            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Naked here but thinking of a little Emgo cafe fairing.
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I experimented with a windshield during the winter, it was kinda nice to avoid some wind chill. Us Arizona folk freak out when it drops under 65 degrees....

but during the summer I'm naked as can be.
                81 SH

I know what I like and it’s relevancy to the outside world or history is actually pretty minimal.

Comment

Naked as the day I was born.....well... the bike that is. Both of them.

Years ago I had a CB750 with a full fairing. I did not hate it, but I like the wind on me. I guess I always felt like it I did not want the wind, I may as well get in the cage. JMHO. Before that one I had a CB750 with a plexishield that I took off for running in town and only mounted for LD trips. That was more for running into rain than for comfort in good weather.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Nikotine View Post
                    I experimented with a windshield during the winter, it was kinda nice to avoid some wind chill. Us Arizona folk freak out when it drops under 65 degrees....

but during the summer I'm naked as can be.
                    LMAO, the last 200 of the 275 miles I have this season have been at 65F and lower. Coldest was 31F
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I ride 'naked.'

The bike had a windshield on it when I bought it which was immediately removed, icky thing. I sent it to jmnjrpa if I spelled that right, about 3-4 years ago. My thought is the more car-like I make the bike the less inspiration I have to ride it, so in all climes whether it be 42 degrees or 115 degrees I ride the bike as it sat on the showroom floor in 1979. Cars are more comfortable, so if that's the experience I want I'll just drive.

My bike isn't an everyday thing to me. It's a romantic experience. When I hop off it after 10-plus hours of solid riding I can really feel it. And I want to. Maybe that will change some day, but fairings and windshields make my stomach turn.

-JB
                      1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

i run a completely naked cafe bike,

no need for a windscreen when ur layin on the tank
                        www.LICARIco.com
                        https://www.instagram.com/licari.co/

'80 XS11 Special Cafe - "il corvino" Invited to The One Moto, HandBuilt Show, Land Locked, Nowhere Moto, Spokane Moto Show
                        '78 XS11 Cafe - GSXR front end, performance suspension and tires
                        '78 XS11 Standard Sleeper, `85 FJ1300 carbs, kerker 4-1
                        '74 DT250 Custom Tracker
                        `79 SR500 Scrambler
                        `78 TT500 Desert Sled
                        `74 CB750 Chopper, survivor bike, preservation completed

Comment

Daily ride has a topcase, I put on the barn door windscreen (and side cases) for longer multi day tours if they involve superslabs/rain.

The other ride has some leather bags on, they come in handy.

XS 1.1 Standard... nekkid.
                          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Large fly screen only.
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Vetter fairing year round. Gets cold and extremely windy in my part of Oklahoma, and I'm too lazy to want to pull it off every summer. My mounts for my trunk have cracked, so it is in the garage until I get them welded. Sissy bar with a luggage rack and no bags.
                              Richard
                              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

It depends

I've ridden everything from long trips to short hops and around town with every combination you listed except "Bags Only" so I checked/voted everything except that choice. They each have their own advantages disadvantages but in general I prefer to ride with the fairing.

Lowers. You forgot to include fairing lowers in the poll so that'll have to be under the "Or some other combination that I couldn't come up with" category.

Fun poll!
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X