Do you ride Naked or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ride Naked or not?

I've been 3 days now without the fairing on my SG and I like it, but I also hate it.
    So I want to see how many of you have 'protection':
    Totally bare
    38.95%
    Just a windshield
    13.68%
    Fairing only
    4.21%
    Fairing and Bags.
    27.37%
    Bags only.
    4.21%
    Or some other combination that I couldn't come up with.
    11.58%

The poll is expired.

Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

I run a small bikini fairing, it blocks the wind from hitting my chest just enough to make it comfortable on a long ride.

Ride safe,
    Larry
    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
    82 XJ1100
    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
    64 Yamaha YA-6
    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Both the XJ and the Coonie are full dress with fairings and bags. Love to ride naked, but on long trips and long commute (114 miles a day) the bag storage and extra comfort of a full dresser are really appreciated. I've considered moving the XJ back to naked as the Connie (2006 Kawasaki Concours) is now my "daily ride" and I really don't need both bikes to be full dresssers.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Interesting question semantically speaking.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I change throughout the year. More when colder, less when warmer.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I need a choice for both, as my 80G is naked and the 80SG has a Plexifairing 3.

I love the 80G becuase it is noise free on my helmet, nice clean air. And with the headlight and big 'ol tank, there is a fair amount of wind blockage goin' on in front of me to go with the smooth air.

I love the 80SG because the Plexi 3 turns it into a legit tourer, and is perfect for the colder months. If I wasn't so tall, and my head was a few inches lower, I'd be in a pocket of still air. Not as nice on really hot days at lower speeds with a full face helmet, so I use a 3/4 face sometimes.

My in between is a 2001 ZRX 1200 with a bikini fairing up front.

Now, if I could get anything with a bikini on the XS while I was naked, that'd be a "ride report" for the ages...
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

This is both a comfort and esthetics question...

I run a medium-size windshield as it doesn't distract much from the lines of the 'naked' bike yet offers 'enough' protection in most cases. Keeps the wind off my chest, and most of the bugs out of my face...

But I will admit, if you're doing extended riding on the superslabs a fairing is very nice. In town, they tend to cook you on warm days as you don't get enough air movement as well as reduced visibility of the road surface, plus the extra weight, etc.

But I've never cared for the looks of a 'dressed' bike, so the W/S is the best compromise for me...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

With respect to the poll, "Just a windshield" or "Fairing only" are a bit overlapping, as a Plexi 3 is way different than a shorty shield...

Having ridden with a fairing and plexi 3 windshield, the Plexi 3 is more pleasant from a wind noise/buffeting standpoint when wearing a helmet, and with the lower extensions has all the protection from the elements of the fairing...

Like the look of a Plexi 3 as well vs a Pacifico, etc. Old fairings just didn't have the eye appeal, no matter which brand fairing, to my eye.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Midnight Mystery Ride, I had boots on
                  where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                  Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Gotta love the Midnight Mystery Rides!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I run a Spitfire windshield for trips, but I also wear a Shoei open face helmet. If I'm running around town or on small rides on the Island here, I ride bare, and wear a full face flip up helmet. In either case I wear my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket which is totally awesome.
                      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Coutney,was just looking at that First gear jacket.look's nice..I like fairings,Had one on my SG,and have a half a**ed fairing on my Wee,which gives me some nice air with protectionto the face and chest.Wee is set up for full touring.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Mine currently has a fairing, but may change to a windshield only, I'll let this summer decide, for looks, totaly naked, my helmet keeps the bugs at bay.
                          81 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                            Coutney,was just looking at that First gear jacket.look's nice..I like fairings,Had one on my SG,and have a half a**ed fairing on my Wee,which gives me some nice air with protectionto the face and chest.Wee is set up for full touring.
                            Cuda, that jacket has withstood the elements from nasty hail to full downpours without a whimper. I've ridden in near freezing weather and in boiling 100 deg. stuff, (but with the liner out and the vents open). Can't say enough about it.
                            Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Hey George,

I thought I saw you going Northbound on 664 around 5:30 pm Tuesday when it was stop and crawl traffic southbound!!

I have a small windscreen that I have used during cool/cold weather like riding in the mountains during the fall rallies, as well as for when I would actually RIDE the bike to the rally hundreds of miles instead of trailering it.

But once I put a backrest on my bike that can support "ME", then I find I don't need to keep the wind off of my chest/head as much, I don't have to hold on for dear life, the wind isn't going to blow me backwards, so I can ride "Naked" and enjoy the breeze. I use a fullface helmet also.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X