New member and 1979 XS1100 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and 1979 XS1100 Special

So, I just returned from purchasing my 1979 XS1100 Special. Bike seems to be in great condition and I am looking forward to getting in a bit of riding and becoming familiar with this bike.

79 SF

Congrats on the bike...looks nice with a few changes
    Lots of good info on here and good people
    RIDE SAFE
    TV
    Current Rides:
    02 GL1800 Wing
    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Originally posted by jlmoulto View Post
      So, I just returned from purchasing my 1979 XS1100 Special. Bike seems to be in great condition and I am looking forward to getting in a bit of riding and becoming familiar with this bike.

Welcome jlmoulto,
      nice looking bike.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Aside from the bags and backrest, one thing I noticed was that near the rear shocks there appears to be two mounting spots that I believe you can see in the picture. Is that normal on these bikes?

Also, are there other changes that you can see?
        79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
          Welcome jlmoulto,
          nice looking bike.
          Phil
          Notice you are from Mississauga. I tend to visit my Uncle in Mississauga at least once to twice a year. I like the city.
          79 SF

Comment

NICE Bike

It looks like all the changes that are obvious were
            done with the "ride" in mind and to be able to travel a bit
            Last edited by tv5150; 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM.
            Current Rides:
            02 GL1800 Wing
            79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
            81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Aside from the bags and backrest, one thing I noticed was that near the rear shocks there appears to be two mounting spots that I believe you can see in the picture. Is that normal on these bikes?

Also, are there other changes that you can see?
              Hi jlmouto !
              Welcome !
              Could we see the other side of the bike please ?
              To me it looks like the PO changed the angle of the shocks, maybe to lower it ? ?
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Aside from the bags and backrest, one thing I noticed was that near the rear shocks there appears to be two mounting spots that I believe you can see in the picture. Is that normal on these bikes? Also, are there other changes that you can see?
                Hi James and welcome,
                big holes in the frame aft of the top shock bolts? They are the stock mounting points for the rear indicators which must have have been moved to install the hard bags.
                Need more photos to see if there are other changes.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Notice you are from Mississauga. I tend to visit my Uncle in Mississauga at least once to twice a year. I like the city.
                  Let me know next time you are in town.
                  Phil
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Had a mechanic have a quick look at it last night and indeed someone has gone through the effort of lowering the bike by adding a link on the swingarm. He doesn't think it is an issue, but I'll probably put it back to stock.

Thanks for the welcome. I am combing through lots of posts to get familiar with the normal things about this bike.

One thing I am looking at having to do right away is change the gear oil on the mid drive. The current owner wasn't aware that there were two places to change the oil. Fortunately He only put 10,000kms on the bike and I am hoping the original owner did the correct servicing.
                    79 SF

Comment

With that low milage you should be fine. Just have him take the fill plug out first, they can be a pain as they seem to self tighten over time due to the material difference. We recommend a semi or full synthetic hypoid gear oil in both middle and rear drive. You can also get a plastic crush washer at your local auto store to put under the full plugs so it wont self tighten between now and the next maintenance interval. The real trick yo getting the fill plug loose is a nice sharp impact to the allen wrench if you can (you'll see).

Nice ride and welcome to the form.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Nice looking bike,congrat's and welcome aboard.Looks like it's set up nicely for touring.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Had a mechanic have a quick look at it last night and indeed someone has gone through the effort of lowering the bike by adding a link on the swingarm. He doesn't think it is an issue, but I'll probably put it back to stock.

Thanks for the welcome. I am combing through lots of posts to get familiar with the normal things about this bike.

One thing I am looking at having to do right away is change the gear oil on the mid drive. The current owner wasn't aware that there were two places to change the oil. Fortunately He only put 10,000kms on the bike and I am hoping the original owner did the correct servicing.
                          Hi jlmoulto,
                          It is a good idea to remove the top /fill plug FIRST as they can be quite difficult. The correct allen key in good condition is a big help. I use the allen key with 3/8 drive.
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Thanks. In looking at it tonight, it appears to be stripped and also seems to have teeth marks on it from vice grips, so someone has definitely been in there before!

I'll have another look later this week and tackle the job. Been reading about some replacement bolt options so I'll be looking for that as well.
                            79 SF

Comment

Cool looking ride, congrats!
                              1980 XS1100
                              1997 Ural Sportsman (2-wheel drive)
                              1975 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro

Comment

Working...
                              X