Triple cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple cleaning

O.K. Sunday morning 9 a.m. here in N.Z. Nice sunny day this morning but a cool 8 deg C. Roads are deserted and was just about to take the beast for a blast. Looked out the window and it's now bl**dy raining! Now i'm pi***d off! I now feel like ranting and raving! Triple cleaning! Who's idea is that? Seems pretty dopey to me! Why the hell not clean the carbs properly in the first place?

Why would anyone do a 33% job knowing full well it isn't going to be good enough? ( the administrators are plotting to have me banned from this forum as I write I know ) Why go through all the hassle 3 times? Just doesn't make sense to me. If I hear the words 'triple clean' again I'll scream! Or am I missing something? Can anyone enlighten me?

Bugger this - I'm going for a ride anyway! Enjoy your day folks.

Psst! Hey Kiwi! (Whispering) triple clean

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Comment

carbs

If you dont wanna TRIPLE CLEAN them why dont ya just clean them 3 times ..........................MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

WOW

My vergin ears outch.I like to quaddruple clean my carbs ,can never be too clean, (just pokeing fun)
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Have you ever worked on something and felt you had it all done perfectly.... only to find out later that some tiny detail was forgotten? Ever cleaned a carb and found later that a tiny bit of debris clinging to the inside of a passageway out of sight.... that you thought was squeeky clean.... had finally broken loose and plugged a jet or lodged in the needle and seat? I laughed at the concept of "triple clean" myself when I first got my XS. But..... damned if I didn't end up pulling the carbs and going thru them at least 3 times before I got the bike running smoothly.
            1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

It could be that we just don't understand what it takes the first two times. I think it took me four times before I got it right, but I could have probably done it in one cleaning if I had done it right the first time. Or maybe twenty-some year old grunge just won't come out the first time, or two.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Here is why you triple clean em. First time, fight to get airbox out, take a drink, remove carbs, smashing finger on frame as they pop out, take a drink. Disassemble all four carbs, take a drink. Clean well and lay parts out in order your pulled em (you still remember don't you?), T.A.D. (take a drink). Reassemble, cover with rag and go into the house, TAD. Second time, you remove the rag and see a needle valve sitting on the bench, TAD, and disassemble all 4 again, the last one is the one missing the needle, TAD. Search for the diaphram spring that has just rocketed across the garage into a dark hole, TAD. Find spring, TAD. Reassemble all four, checking for spare parts, none?, good!! TAD. Lay same rag as the night before over the carbs, TAD. 3rd time, remove rag, notice a slide is hanging up, do not TAD. Disassemble all again, keeping all parts for each carb in seperate container, do not TAD. Flush with carb cleaner, wash with hot soapy water, do not TAD, blow out with air. Run into the house to remove little piece of crap that just ruptured your cornea. Do not TAD. Run carb bodies thru dish washer (I do). Flush again with carb cleaner, wash in hot water, blow out with air (holding head to one side this time). Reassemble with extreme loving care, checking twice (not three times). Stab em back in, balance and tune. Fight to reattach air box. Ya done?? Good, TAD now. Ride in the morning!!
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Just got through cleaning my carbs. Had to take #1 off the old parts bike. Trible cleaning was not enough - after soaking for 20 hrs in carb cleaner, ceaning & blowing out 6 times I was still getting crud. A couple more cleanings nothing more flushed out. 18 yr. old stale gas/varnish/tar is bad.
                  Ken
                  '79 xs1100f
                  '79 xs1100sf

Comment

Working...
                  X