how many km,s or miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many km,s or miles

hi all! i,m curious as to how many miles or km,s can i with regular maintenance get on my xs11 80 special?? on an average can we expect 200thou? or what do you think? and thank you all its a great group we have here ride safe slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Well, I'm at 74000 Km right now on my 80sg and the only screwups have been operator error.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
      hi all! i,m curious as to how many miles or km,s can i with regular maintenance get on my xs11 80 special?? on an average can we expect 200thou? or what do you think? and thank you all its a great group we have here ride safe slow mo!
      There's been a few in years past here, prior to your joining that have seen 200+ thousand on them.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

When I had my new 79SF it would not jump like it did before 30K, but I had changed to 4-1 Kerker too, about that time and not jetted because it seemed fine. I ran it to 56K with no problems and sold it to a bud. He made several trips around the great lakes and one to Mexico. So I would say in MHO that 30K marks the decline in compression but not the end to fun. Oil changes and carb sync are the main things as well as other upkeep will take them to 100K or more?
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I will have over 200K on the Fire Dragon by early summer (if it ever gets here) and other than the fact that she is liking to use a bit of oil now she runs as good as ever.

Compression is still right up there, valve seals may be leaking a small bit but with constant careful maintenance they will go a LONG time.
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

I know Steppenwolf has over 80k miles on his SG. It shows no signs of wearing out anytime soon. It did get a new timing chain and the valves lapped around 70k miles IIRC.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

With proper care, you should be able to get over 150K MILES on an engine. We are talking 250K Kilometers, so I think you do NOT need to worry about the engine. The rider, welll that's a different story!
              Ride safe, and don't worry about the XS.....
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Slo MO, are you talking about until a rebuild, or just totally worn out with no salvation?

As for the former, my SF has just clocked its 332,000th klm and it's still running strongly. Closely akin to Dragon Tamers bike regarding oil usage, you just allow for it on a trip.

Btw, mine's still running all the original engine parts (besides camchains, plus a few new shims) and has never had the head off.

Does that help?
                Last edited by Eveready1100; 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM.
                79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
                X