Filling up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling up...

Ran across this on FB. Not sure how much really effects me, I never gave much thought to filling up but according to this guy there is.... Also filling up applies more to 4 wheel rides then cycles.

Buying Gas The Smart Way.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
    I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:
    Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.
    Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
    A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
    When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
    One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
    Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
    81 H

No fault to those who read this and bu into it, but there is more smoke than fact in this "information".

"Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role."

Miss-guidance number one, the ground is a constant 56 degrees give or take a degree depending where you live. Once you get below say 3 or maybe 4 feet in the cold months up north, it is constant. The tank itself is buried deeper than that, so the above ground temp has nothing to do with the tank or fuel temp. Miss-guidance number two, if you look up the specific volume or the specific gravity of gasoline in the temperatures that we store it, you would have to buy in the quantities that the tankers sell it in for there to be any measurable change in volume or density.

"When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money."

What...who in the heck thought this up. Your pumping liquid fuel into a tank, it is liquid being pumped, not vapors. The vapors being evacuated are from in your almost empty tank. They are being displaced by the liquid fuel your putting into the tank. Yep, they go out faster as you fill your tank with liquid at a faster rate.

"One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine."

Which is why we have pressurized gas caps on cars. so it does not evaporate, you do get vapors, but they are trapped in there.

"Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom."

WOOHOOO, finally one point that is correct and should be observed!! Not bad I suppose, one good point out of all of that.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I'm glad you said it DG.
      I nearly posted up that it's bullsh!t, but feared the backlash.
      Nice one, thank you.

Comment

I should have looked this up first.

Still some interesting reading.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
        81 H

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post

"Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom."

WOOHOOO, finally one point that is correct and should be observed!! Not bad I suppose, one good point out of all of that.
          I dont think that is even a good point, all the pumps I've ever seen have spin on filters!

Doesn't make a bit of difference IMO. The change in the density of gasoline is negligible at the pump when you are only buying 20 or 40 gallons vice the amount described in the example. Almost any gas station you go to will have their tank underground 10+ feet where the temperature is nearly constant through the year (and day) anyways. If you think density and vapors are going to save you gallons of gas in one year then I have magic beans to sell you...

The small change in density is likely smaller than the measurement error of the pump itself. The leftover gas in the hose between the handle and the top of the pump is probably more than you could recoup by following this guys advice...

On the other hand, going to a station that has 2 or 3 cents lower price than the guy across the street could equate to a real savings even if its only a few cents/gal.

My car holds 20 gals and price of gas is 3.75/gal vice on other guy at $3.73/gal. I buy 20 gallons whats my savings?

20gal*$0.02/Gal = $0.40 or a whopping 0.107 gal

So for every 200 gallons of gas at $3.75 I buy, I could have gotten 201.07 gallons...

I use approximately 20 gallons a week on average so the potential savings is about 52 gallons less I have to buy a year, or $195 per year.
          Last edited by WMarshy; 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
            Actually, it's not the dirt you're worried about so much as there are filters in the systems, but water. Fuel tanks can get condensation in them, and depending on how well the station checks their tanks and the volume of gas they pump, this water can get 'stirred' into the fuel during a delivery. Here, you're better off buying gas at a 'busy' station as fast turnover in the tank reduces water build-up. A station that gets fuel deliveries every few days will be better than a 'quiet' station that goes a week or more between deliveries.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

And then there is gasohol. The up side is that it will absorb water, the down side is that now you are paying $3.##/gal for water that condensed out of the air inside the storage tank.
              It's enough to make a fella buy a bicycle.

CZ

Comment

Here we have pumps that say "corrected to 15 degrees C" which simply means that they win some days and we lose the other days. So we lose all the time. Fact is that you will buy gas wherever you decide and pay the pump price. Why drive halfway across town for that extra cent off or even worry about it at all.
                9 out of ten will buy their gas at the most convenient location or from the place that has the best price on smokes or whatever. Could even be the big titted blonde who smiles but we do what we do. Gas companies have us well trained and we do exactly what they want us to do. Go ahead and spend your time trying to save a penny or two but you know same as I do that when it is time to ride it is time to ride and gas cost be damned.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

just another falsehood of Fakebook...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                    And then there is gasohol. The up side is that it will absorb water, the down side is that now you are paying $3.##/gal for water that condensed out of the air inside the storage tank.
                    It's enough to make a fella buy a bicycle.

CZ
                    ........does my electric kick scooter count?.....
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X