Bio-enhanced fingerprint log in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio-enhanced fingerprint log in.

I finally joined the rest of the world and bought a new laptop cause my desktop computer blew up the other day. This thing is sweet. I bought it cause it is powerful enough to play my favorite game and my old pc lagged just a little. I ordered this laptop special from Best Buy and had no idea how cool it was going to be. It's the HP Envy m6 Notebook, and it has a Bio-Enhanced finger print scanner. It saves passwords than asks me if I want to save it to Simple pass. After that I just swipe my finger and it logs me in. I feel High Tech baby. Now all I need is a retinal scanner, and a quantum calculating infinite loop encrypted algorithm with a nitrogen cooled metabolic destabilizer made of unobtainium and my computer will be secure. The only thing that bugs me is if somebody really wants my password, they would just cut my finger off. Still a cool feature.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

better keep your hand in your pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
      - - - After that I just swipe my finger and it logs me in. - - - The only thing that bugs me is if somebody really wants my password, they would just cut my finger off. - - -
      Hi Dogg,
      it could be worse, you got 9 more fingers, right?
      They coulda set it up so you had to swipe your dick.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The down side to those scanners is they can't be used to log into a domain. If your computer is not a member of a domain, they work fine. However, even if you're on a domain, they can be used for websites and other password-required things. They also contribute to many forgotten passwords...
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

The real issue is when the scanner starts acting up not reading your finger. By then you will have surely forgotten those passwords to get arround it. If you are lucky enough to have gotten past warrenty period you can pull out that card and buy a couple of hours of tech time to sneek you in the back door. My suggestion is take your manual and on a back page write the passwords. Make them as complicated as possible but write them down and put the book in a secure place. Just speaking from experience as I have gotten many a free steak dinner from friends recovering access to machines and routers.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Dogg,
            it could be worse, you got 9 more fingers, right?
            They coulda set it up so you had to swipe your dick.
            Nearly spit up my beer reading that one Fred!
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hi Dogg,
              My daughter had the print reader fail on her computer so do back up those pass words. While i don't want a print reader I DO WANT one of those:
              "nitrogen cooled metabolic destabilizer made of unobtainium"
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug
                The down side to those scanners is they can't be used to log into a domain.
                Hmmm....have been doing that for several years now with no problems.......but you have to specify domain credentials when you "enroll" the fingerprint....HP, Lenovo, and Panasonic units all work fine logging into our domain using the reader.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yeah, I'm logging in just fine here. This is windows 8 so they may have changed some things.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Hmmm....have been doing that for several years now with no problems.......but you have to specify domain credentials when you "enroll" the fingerprint....HP, Lenovo, and Panasonic units all work fine logging into our domain using the reader.
                    Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to the external ones for desktops. The built-in scanners on laptops do work that way just fine.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X