Colorblind: A misnomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorblind: A misnomer

I saw a post recently where a member commented on another member's signature....which stated about being "colorblind" and not being able to see wire colors. I had never noticed that signature before!

But the term "colorblind" is very wrong altogether. The proper term is Color Deficient. So now a little explaination is required.

First the nuts/bolts: The eye has 2 types of light sensors...black and white called the RODS, and then the color receptors called CONES. These receptors are little photoelectric type cells that generate small pulses of electricity when light strikes them. But they are only sensitive to specific wavelengths of light.

There are special chemicals within the receptors that cause them to work, Rhodopsin for the Rods, and actually 3 different ones for the Cones..because there are 3 different colors that they are sensitive to, Red, Green, BLUE.

Surprise, you might have been expecting YELLOW for the third one, but with the EYES, we are talking LIGHT which is an additive process. When you look at something solid of a particular color...that object actually obsorbs all of the other colors of the spectrum except the color that it is, and so it reflects that color and that's why you see it. Objects use a subtractive process.

Remember your high school science....using a PRISM to split white light into the colors of the spectrum....aka a rainbow. Conversely, if you used other prisms to shine colored LIGHT onto the same location, they will add up to WHITE LIGHT. For some fun....look very closely at your Standard TUBE style TV if you still have one. The Phosphors...the colored dots/rectangles that the TV tube beam shines onto to create LIGHT are also those same three colors...Red/Green/Blue....yet you can see ALL of the colors of the spectrum on a TV screen including WHITE....because from far enough away, the light from those 3 phosphors will combine to become white or other colors before they get to your eye.

So...now back to the human eye.....if one of the chemicals for the color receptors is missing, not being able to be created due to a genetic fault, then that person can not see objects of that color properly. But because most colors are combinations of the 3 primary colors...they see it differently. Red and Green are complimentary colors...are on opposite sides of the color wheel. The genetic defect for not making the chemical for those two colors is the most common....and so that's why it's difficult for folks to be able to differentiate either one when they don't have the chemical for that specific color receptor.

And the Gene defect is a recessive one, but it's carried on the X chromosome of the X-Y pair. And since there isn't a corresponding gene on the Y chromosome, the recessive trait comes through. This is why color "deficiency" is more common in Males than Females.

I just wanted to provide an explaination to the masses in case they were never really told or had it properly explained to them what and how they were color deficient...not BLIND!

Hopefully in the future scientists will be able to do some genetic therapy using reprogrammed virus to change the body/eye so that it would be able to make the required missing chemical.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

I was told I was red/green color blind about 40 yrs ago when I got my learners permit and motorcycle license at the same time. I have always just said it that way and never knew (or much cared) since then that there was a difference.
    Red and green lights at a stop are no problem but certain shades have always eluded me. Some buddy would say "you can't see that" and I would reply nope.
    So now I am happy to tell them all off and say " I am not color blind, I am simply color deficient". Do you think I can qualify for a disability insurance claim now?
    I could claim that I can not tell brown from dark green on my motorcycle wiring so it is holding me back (which is completely true) as I have to get friends over to see the colors.
    My story is true enough, but I am just giving you a hard time TC. Damn I wish I could see the differences between the colors that I can not.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

My son is also color deficent. So when he was cutting grass and I looked out the window and watched him ride around in circles because he was not able to see the different heights of grass and was trying to tell where he left off.

But back to the bike, my PO spray painted the bike frame black....but didn't think to remove the harness first. So I too have been having a very hard time telling colors!
      79 XS11

Comment

Very interesting,I am not color deficient,still doesn't help me with wiring gremlins. By the way TC,happy birthday,hope you have a great day.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          But the term "colorblind" is very wrong altogether. The proper term is Color Deficient. - - -
          Hi TC,
          What is this; PC gone overboard? Like calling a spade a gentleman of colour?
          Anyhow, I got a friend who is red/green colour deficient.
          It's not that he can't see red and green, he just can't tell the difference.
          He's OK at traffic lights except for those stupid sideways ones and refuses to drive downtown once the Christmas lights are turned on.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Lolol!!!! :d:d
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Check this out.....

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2...blindness?lite
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you read the whole article, you'll see that they are NOT any kind of cure at all, but just can enhance colors at the expense of others.

Believe it or not, the Blue Blocker type glasses that folks have seen on the TV ads actually do work. They help filter out the high frequency upper blue wavelength of light which induces more glare, and so can enhance the appearance of essentially all other colors. Similarly why shooters glasses are YELLOW tinted.

For just overall darkening sunglasses, GREY color is recommended because it will not affect color percpeption, but for both enhanced vividness and darkening affect, use BROWN lenses.....will work similar to the blue blockers cutting down glare/haze. To further help with glare, get polarized lenses.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My father was sent to Iwo Jima in WWII because he was red/green color blind. The classified him as a camouflage expert. To him red and green were only shades of gray...

Tony
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Interesting stuff

Thanks for the enlightening thread, TC, and happy birthday.
                      Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                      mods to come

Comment

Working...
                      X