1968 Chevelle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Chevelle help

Hey guys, I've owned a '68 Chevelle Malibu for several years and have enjoyed the simplicity of the mechanism. However, I have a problem that I can't figure out.

Some time ago the fuel gauge began to fluctuate widely, and has since been stuck on FULL. The only wiring I can see is a ground wire from the sending unit. I realize that the likelihood is that the rheostat has given up after 45 years, but I don't understand how the gauge in the dash gets the information from the tank. Is there another wire somewhere? As far I can tell from the over-general manual I have, the ground from the sender to the frame is the only wire, but there must be something from/to the gauge, right?
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Most automotive gauges of that vintage are fed a 'regulated' power source (usually a reduced voltage of about 9v) into one side, and the sending unit is generally the ground side of the circuit. So there should be a wire from the sending unit to the gauge. If you verify that, then it might be the 'regulator' has failed; although if the car has a temp or oil pressure gauge and those are working right, the regulator is good. But a lot of cars that vintage only had idiot lights, not gauges.

I believe that if the wire to the sending unit goes to ground anywhere, that will cause your problem.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Positively a grounding problem, whether it is the sending unit, or the power supply. I think that the sending unit does have it's own power wire. It may involve removing the instrument cluster, and identifying the wire on the plug that goes to the gauge, then read it out to ground.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

LoHo,
        I have a Chiltons' that covers that year. Let me try and look up a wire diagram to see if I can tell you what color wire to look for. Give me about 1/2 hour...
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
          Hey guys, I've owned a '68 Chevelle Malibu for several years and have enjoyed the simplicity of the mechanism. However, I have a problem that I can't figure out.

Some time ago the fuel gauge began to fluctuate widely, and has since been stuck on FULL. The only wiring I can see is a ground wire from the sending unit. I realize that the likelihood is that the rheostat has given up after 45 years, but I don't understand how the gauge in the dash gets the information from the tank. Is there another wire somewhere? As far I can tell from the over-general manual I have, the ground from the sender to the frame is the only wire, but there must be something from/to the gauge, right?
          Hi Larry, 'old school' way of checking for gauge functioning or not was to ground gauge and if needle went full up, gauge itself was workin fine. Sounds like this may have done that on its own. If the 'hot' lead on the sending unit itself came unplugged, corroded and broke off and is grounding to tank or other ground source, the same result as testing gauge. Can't remember for sure, but unfortunately there's not enough room to reach your hand top-side of that tank to feel for an unattached wire. If you can loosen the tank strap bolts and let the tank drop a bit, this may give you enough room to access the area. If you need to remove the sending unit, the tank will have to be dropped down substantually lower of course. Your saying the gauge fluxuated wildly prior to its 'stuck on full' leads to suspect of a wire grounding between gauge and sending unit.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

LoHo,
            Sorry, but it seems my books stop at '72, I can't help with the wire color. The tests listed will work, and at least tell you if you have a short or open.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Here's the 68 Chevelle wiring diagram, click to enlarge...

2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Chevelle

There is definitely another wire that goes to the tank other than the ground strap. How else would the guage recieve a signal? It is there somewhere and, as was mentioned, you should ground it when found and see what the guage response is (key on). Guage reads full when grounded, empty when not indicating no guage problem.

MP
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Chevelle

There may be a removable panel/plate in the trunk under the mat to be able to gain access to the sending unit. Check that before removing tank.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

If your gas gauge is the only one reading full all the time you have a ground issue. Could be the fuel sending unit in the tank. One way to tell is unplug the one wire off the sending unit in the tank. Then look at your gas gauge to see if it's not reading full. If it is isn't reading full you have a bad sending unit. If it's still reading full you have a grounding connection somewhere from the wire from the tank to the cluster. Hope this helps.
                    Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                    87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                    93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                    71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                    69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                    X