X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from London!

Hello!

New member here! I'm Pete from London, UK. I've just bought this on eBay:

£410 with a couple of boxes of extra parts.

I know this will probably divide opinion, but the plan is to turn it into something like this:

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs650-2

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...aha-xs650.html

And very much inspired by:

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/

I'm looking forward to making use of these forums and the expertise that no doubt exists here. At the mo the bike doesn't turn over, and the brakes are binding, making it very tricky to even maneuvre about!

Has anyone here done anything similar?

Cheers!

Pete
    79 SF

Welcome to the site,alot of of help on this site,just ask away.Looks like a 79 special? There are people on here that make cafe's out of the XS on here.Some purists are not fond of them,but hey,each to there own.If your not going to put the front fender back on,I strongly suggest you use a fork brace.The front forks are pretty weak without the fender as it is used as a fork brace.Usual problem with the brakes after sitting for an extended period of time.You'll need to tear the calipers apart and clean them up,make sure the caliper pistons and linings have no rust,pretty simple fix,replace with new fluid. What do you mean by the engine won't turn over? Is it seized or is the battery dead,or maybe the starter? Try and explain in as much detail what you've done and what the XS is doing or not doing,these people on here know these bikes inside and out,someone or everyone will chime in.Congrats on your new find,by the way the only thing I wouldn't do is,make it a hardtail or cut up the frame,some day you may want to put it back to original,just because they are so damn purty. Keep all of your parts you take off if you think you may put it back to stock,some of the parts are getting very hard to find.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I've not even tried to turn it over yet to be honest, just what I was told by the previous owner who had it sat for around a year. The electrics look in a pretty sorry state, so I may just take to stripping it completely and starting again anyway!
      79 SF

Comment

I understand Specials are kind of rare in the UK. You might want to just restore it. They are really pretty nice bikes in original condition.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I agree with Greg.
          If what you want is a 2 cylinder chain drive then an XS650 is an excellent choice. Plenty of aftermarket stuff available for doing just what you admire in those two pictures.
          I would get the XS11 running nicely and clean it up. Then sell it to finance what you really want.
          Oh and welcome to the site.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks chaps.

I'm not specifically after a 650, or chains or two cylinders, it's just those pics happen to be XS's and the style I'm after. There doesn't seem to be many, if any, 1100's used to creat the style I want. Do you think it's a bad move for any reason other than a preference for original styling? Does the 1100 not lend itself to being stripped back in the way I'm after?
            79 SF

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to the site, Pete. Glad to have you. And congratulations on the new acquisition.

I'm no expert, but I don't think that there's anything specifically about the xs11 that makes it a bad canditate for a cafe racer. Some might say that the xs11 is uniquely 1) heavy and 2) can't be made much lighter. A cafe bike's appeal is not just the bare-bones aesthetic, but also the light weight. These bikes are heavy, but lean. Shaft drive, a heavy engine, a need for the starter, not much plastic and beefy drive train which includes a Hy-vo drive chain all make it so that you'll have trouble getting the thing under 600 lbs. Not exactly cafe racer weight class.

Another reason why you'll hear chants of "restore" louder than "convert" here is that we love our xs11's because they are a great all around bike. It's a good cruiser (especially your special), you can hold your head high at a quarter mile strip because there's hardly a harley of any vintage that you won't beat, it will keep up (pretty well) with a crotch-rocket in the twisties and on the track, and if you want to take a 3000 mile cruise on it, you can do so pretty darn well. Someone here will even sell you the factory luggage, probably. A lot of folks here think there's no other bike, of any vintage, that can make these claims. And how cool is it that the thing is 35 years old? But if you turn it into a cafe styled bike, you're taking away the universality of what some of us think is the greatest all around bike ever built.

That said, I love your cafe styled inspirations. And I really enjoy seeing gifted people express themselves in their creations. We all do. And people here are very supportive.

There are two things that frustrate people: 1) starting a conversion (as opposed to a restoration) and losing interest after the bike has been modified so that it's no longer restorable; and 2) Hard-tailing. Hard-tails are pretty much unrideable except for short distances. It's like tying a cheetah's legs together -- contrary to the very nature of the beast.

Anyway, like I said -- welcome.
              Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
              mods to come

Comment

Some interesting thoughts, thanks very much.

Let me say, I have NO intention of hard-tailing this bike!

I can certainly appreciate the frustrations you mentioned. I have to say though, there certainly isn't as much enthusiasm for these bikes in the UK as in the USA it seems!

I didn't specifically go after an XS1100 - I had my mind open to any sort of vintage Japanese bike which i could do a conversion to my style with, and this one came along at the right time and the right price! I'm not particularly fond of the 'cafe racer' badge either, although I understand why that's used. I'm more interested in the general stripped back 'cool' look of modified bikes - whatever tag name that comes with!

The benefits of this bike you speak of I think will still suit my intentions, so I'm happy! Although I take your point about the starter.....! I would like to create some space in the frame but I'm lacking ideas where the hell to put all that wiring!

I've been pleasantly surprised to find how much interest this model has so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!
                79 SF

Comment

Hey there Pete,

Welcome and glad you jumped right in!!

Okay, I borrowed one of the photos from the last link...it shows a Stripped
                  down FJ1300 or such!!

As previously stated, there is a limit to what can be stripped/removed from the XS11 due it's required functionality. Also, limits on swappable parts ie. wheels....wire spokes vs. the mags due to the shaft drive.

There are links and threads regarding the minimalistic wiring harness one can have and still have the bike function. Not sure what safety restrictions are on UK bikes, ie. if they came with turn signals do that have to keep/have them, etc.! I'm sure they require a headlight and tail/brakelight/license.

The plastic side covers are rare, like to fly off in the wind,etc., so I like the bolt on grated style. Look around this site, at ALL of the tech tips, repairs, mods, etc. BEFORE starting in on your bike. The electrical system is a known weak point moreso due to just general corrosion at the connectors in the harness, but also the igntion pickup coil wires, the OEM glass fuseblock, the lack of adequate ground straps, the less than stellar charging system...brushless alternator and reg/rect unit.

Next, is the engine and fuel and exhaust. These engines were finely tuned by the little fellows in white coats at YAMAHA for the best all around performance and mileage. Your bike already has what looks to be either a 4-2 or 4-1 pipe set...kerker....good brand...and since aftermarket pipes are getting even more rare/scarce and out of production....yours appears to be in decent shape(nic) it's would be advised to keep it, and don't go installing straight pipes!!! These engines like and need a little backpresure and are a bear to tune without it.

The carbs are another problem area in that they can also corrode/clog up due to stale jellied gas(petrol) and such, and just require a meticulous approach to cleaning them without damaging them....again find the carbs 101 tip/thread....lots of pictures to guide you!!!! Do NOT soak/dip the bodies in caustic carb dip cleaner...will eat the butterfly shaft seals=vac leaks=bad!!
                  Also, ditch the Octopus valve on the top of the carbs...will result in a lot less hoses and clutter under the tank, but will loose the auto on/off/open/closed fuel flow function....just remember to turn off the petcocks to take pressure off of the float valves to prevent a fuel leak that could get into the engine, contaminate the oil and destroy the bearings if not detected!! :EEK:

Look at the tech tips, mods, carbs, fuel, for info on the air intake chamber/filter options. Most folks say stay with OEM airbox. I say if you want more space, rip it out, and put on PODS both for easier R&R of carbs, as well as the open look you want...but utilize the velocity stack mount approach for the filters...but DO USE FILTERS!!! The velocity stacks help regain some of the low rpm grunt that is lost with pods and open exhausts.

As to the handlebars...UGH!! I hate those low clip-ons because I hate hugging the gastank, my lower back! Also steering is a bit HEAVY due to the high steering TRAIL....6". The narrower the placement of the grips the more effort and difficulty you will have in steering /handling especially at low speeds!!!

The Specials(what you have) use a funky slanted/swivel style caliper system, so the pads look worn when they are NOT. It's very difficult to upgrade them due to their mount design...I've done it but I have a home lathe/mill setup! If you want better braking, the Easiest is to put on Stainless Steel hoses, and get a new replacement front master cylinder vs. rebuilding the OEM one.....a bit of a PITA IMHO! If you want newer/modern style dual piston calipers...then you would want to look into swapping on some STANDARD forks which have the axle at the bottom end instead of on the front edge....they have better caliper mounts that can more easily be moddd to modern calipers!!!

The rear tire is limited in width size again due to the shaft drive. Some folks have lightly modded the shaft drive/swingarm housing to relocate the indent a bit more inwards to allow more room for a little wider tire. Stock 130/90-16 fits, 140/90-16 have been installed, some with rubbing, some not...YMMV without the small MOD! Front, can usually go to 110-90/19 vs. the 100/90, but usually requires deflating or removing the calipers to be able to install. As stated, fenders=YES...it does RAIN there a bit doesn't it?

Take a look at the Bike Photos thread in the Member's Lounge, you'll find several examples of some nice bobber types that have kept the rear suspension but still have a nice lean mean look!!!!

Okay, good luck, start a work in progress thread and show us your work..we like PHOTOS!!!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Welcome Pete, It's good to have someone across the pond join us, we do not want to get stagnate and a new bit of XS11 DNA helps the breed. I suggest that you not let anyone sway you from the vision of what you want your XS11 to be. Take Care.
                    Ole Jack
                    J.D."Jack" Smith
                    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                    1978E straight job
                    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Intro2pete View Post
                      - - - New member here! I'm Pete from London, UK. I've just bought this on eBay: - - -
                      Hi Pete and welcome,
                      Like they all said, a cafe style is OK by most of us but there's not much you can do to put the pig on a diet.
                      Easiest is the least resto that'll put the bike back on the road.
                      What you might not know:-
                      The engine turns backwards.
                      The front brake pads are tapered on purpose so don't toss them in disgust like I did.
                      I'd say the first thing to do is fix the front end.
                      Your pic shows no front mudguard and no aftermarket fork brace.
                      The XS11 front fork acts all wobblyarsed without the mudguard acting as a fork brace. Adding a TKAT fork brace improves it too.
                      Wire wheels?
                      Front is a doddle, an XS650 wire wheel bolts straight in.
                      Rear is not easy, you'd need to carve the hub out of a cast wheel, machine it & weld on spoke rings to lace on the rim of your choice.
                      I'll guess you don't want to go that far, eh?
                      An XS11 Standard gas tank carries an extra gallon of fuel and bolts straight on. Tank has to be complete with it's original filler cap and fuel taps because those parts don't swap.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi

welcome, if you do a member search, you'll find a number of owners in your neck of the world. Some very close. Invite them by for a pint and pump them for advise once they look at your find. Think it all through before you light a torch and start cutting.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

Wow thanks guys! Some awesome advice here!

All things considered, the XS11 was probably not the ideal choice for my original desires. However, the more I look around here and look at my bike, the more I love it!

I think based on the advice so far I will vastly scale back my plans for modification. I think I can achieve very close to my goal while still being respectful to the origins of the bike, and hopefully enhance some of its best features.

I will indeed start a work in progress thread, but it might be a good couple of months before anything get's going! Just need the weather to stop being so British now.....
                          79 SF

Comment

Contact

Get a hold of Paul Sadler "DUDS". He's with the RAF. He rebuilt his special from the ground up and can be a valueable resource for local parts suppliers and stuff. He's also has several other bikes and would be a good guy to tag along with his groups tours around europe. Tell him I said hi and hope to see him at the isle of man.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                              Hey there Pete,
                              There are links and threads regarding the minimalistic wiring harness one can have and still have the bike function. Not sure what safety restrictions are on UK bikes, ie. if they came with turn signals do that have to keep/have them, etc.! I'm sure they require a headlight and tail/brakelight/license.
                              In the UK we can run without headlight, rear light, brakelight, license plate light, indicators, idiot/dash lights clock illumination lights, in fact any lights at all, the only rule really is if its there it has to work. The only item needed is a horn and before a certain year that can be an old fashioned rubber bulb "honk" type horn, after that year (can't remember the year ) you need to have a continuous sound horn which is best electrical.
                              For practicality (night riding) I have headlight and rearlight on my minimalist monoshocked bike (avatar) and if you have lights you need brake light and license illumination.

Specials in UK? not so rare as you might think, import companies are bringing lots of Specials over, I can think of 4 MNS's in our small UK XS1100 club.

Tom
                              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                              X