Paint questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint questions

When I was wrapping up the Banshee project, I wanted a quality paint that would hold up to gasoline. Yes, I know, none of it is fuel proof, but a good 2 part clear holds up MUCH better than rattle can duplicolor clear. From experience I know that much.

Well, I am at the painting stage on the SG. I liked the burgundy color another member had on their bike a couple years ago, and planned to try it on Banshee, but I went with the black for that bike. Now I am using the Burgundy on the SG, I have the side covers painted and cleared with the duplicolor stuff. The tank, I again want to be sure is fuel "resistant" by using the 2 part clear.

So now to my question, has anyone used the Duplicolor paint with a 2 part clear. I called the Sherwin Williams folks I bought the clear from and they tell me it will not play well with lacquers. But I read alot of folks who claim to have used urethane clear over lacquer with good results. I am guessing the Duplicolor paint is lacquer, and I believe the ACME FC720 is a urethane.

Any knowledge would be appreciated. I like the end result of paint work, but it is not what I call enjoyable work, so I would rather not paint the tank twice by seeing my paint ruined when the clear hits it.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

IIRC, the Duplicolor clear is an enamel. FWIW, enamel can't be done on top of laquers. Laquers can be done on top of enamels. Eurethane, no experience with it.Hope that was as clear as.....mud....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Don, I've used 2 part Nason clear over Duplicolor rattle can with no ill effect on my sidecovers and bags. On The tank I used duplicolor engine enamel with the clear, just fine. Why would you use a lacquer paint as a basecoat, if I might ask? I wouldn't think any of that paint is still lacquer type. If you want to be sure, paint some scrap metal and give it a shot with the clear first. If there is a bad reaction it will probably happen instantly, so you will know whether or not to continue on your tank. Myself, I would have used the 2 part clear on the side covers also, you never know what can get spilled on there. By far, I am no expert in painting but I have had good results. I deal with a chain called Finishmaster for automotive painting supplies, they have them in Ohio kinda near you, those guys know their sh!t if you have questions.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Phil, I had the rattle can of Duplicolor laying around, bought it for the last project, it is an older product they no longer make called Import Auto Spray, now everything is branded PerfectMatch. I do not Know if it is lacquer or not to be honest. The can tells you nothing and in my meager googling skills I came up with only a guestimate so far.

I used the can I had to paint the side covers, and had just enough to put a first coat over most of the original tank that was on the bike, I knew I was not using that tank.

At this point, I have a replacement tank for the bike, and want to make what progress I can on it. However, I do not want to buy the Duplicolor stuff and paint it up if the urethane clear is going to mess it up. I will just wait until the weather turns better here and buy the better paint for the color. Yeah, I should do that anyway, but patients is a virtue I do not posess.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

If you use any enamel paint as the base coat, you should be fine with the 2 part clear coat. I have even sprayed 2pt clear over Rustoleum rattle can with no issues. I just overflowed the tank at a crappy gas pump the other day, the gas wiped off the 2 part clear just as if it was water, zero damage. It is worth the extra efort to protect all the paint with 2 part clear IMHO. Good luck Don, I hope it warms up enough for you to continue with your project.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

So do I Phil. I was in Cali for three days this week, its high of 20 F today. My body thinks I am playing cruel jokes on it.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Man, as a rule I avoid mixing paint types if I can help it. I've had too many good paint jobs ruined that way. Try striping for a day just to watch the whole job crinkle up like tinfoil when you hit it with the clear!

It can be done, and some times has to be, but given options, I would stay with a similar system all the way through if you can...it's a lot less work and aggravation from this side!

Good luck!
              Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!

I have decided to practice more patience and do it right. I have it primed, it will wait until the weather warms, get the 2 part color to go with the urethane clear.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Atta boy! You'll be glad you did!
                  Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                  X