Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of The Dragon

Hey All,

Its been a while! Life has been busy for me these last 6 months or so. figured I drop in here and say hi to everyone and see whats new.

I traded off the V-Star 1100 over the holidays and stepped into a 1700 Road Star Midnight Silverado. Sold my Boat and bought the 4 of us some quads. Other than that it has been work work work.

Like to hear from you all and catch up on what you've been up to.
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

I was wondering what happened to you. Glad things are going well! How did the trip this summer on the xs go?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome back, good to hear from you! What have I been up to....5'10", have not figure out how to stack it any taller than that yet.

Otherwise, work work work work, and of course, a winter project..see my project begins again thread.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Back when you traded your sport bike for the V-Star, you inspired me on the trading/bartering thing. I've been able to do that in a few instances so far, and am now trying with some automotive/motorcycle related things. Glad to hear things are going well for you.
        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I was wondering what happened to you. Glad things are going well! How did the trip this summer on the xs go?

Trip went good Nate. I posted pics up back in July somewhere on here. Sould be titles Central Oregon trip. Only problems I had was the carbs fell out of sync about 500 miles into the trip. one of the springs on the sync screws is really weak and I think the screw backed off from vibration. And I think I blew one of the rear air shocks as it didn't want to hold its weight too well on the trip back home. I haven't investigated the shock yet. I'll get too it after I figured out how much I'm willing to spend on new rear shocks. I may end up putting some adjustable progressive spring overs in the back. When the time comes I'm sure I'll throw my ideas up on a forum for ridicule

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Welcome back, good to hear from you! What have I been up to....5'10", have not figure out how to stack it any taller than that yet.

Otherwise, work work work work, and of course, a winter project..see my project begins again thread.
          Don, I understand work, work, work... We had a record year last year for sales, profit, and production. And this winter has shown no signs of slowing down. Makes the boss very happy...LOL! Keeps me employed and to make those statements in this economy makes me very happy to be doing what I'm doing.

I've finally kind of found a groove to deal with all of it and don't feel overwhelmed. Which gives me time to get back to stuff I need/want to do. I'm figuring out this last couple months if I don't take some me time to unwind I'm gonna blow a gasket. So getting in here and conversating with you guys, just might keep me sane!!!

I'll check out your winter project and give my insight and sarcastic praise as best as possible
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
            Back when you traded your sport bike for the V-Star, you inspired me on the trading/bartering thing. I've been able to do that in a few instances so far, and am now trying with some automotive/motorcycle related things. Glad to hear things are going well for you.
            CRX... I LOVE to barter stuff. my boat was my latested and probably one of my best swings. He got the boat and trailer. I got his 2006 Raptor's (350 and 700) a 2007 WR450f dirt bike and a tandem axle 16 foot flat bed trailer and a undisclosed, somewhat large pile of cash... The quads came already piped and tuned (jetted on the 350 power programmer on the 700) both came with sand paddles and dirt tires. Trailer is like brand new. I sold the WR450 to a friend and took the cash from that and my V-star and went and picked up my 2007 1700 Midnight Star that'd id been drooling over at one of the Yammie Dealerships. And I took some money and bought my kid's each a Honda 250ex quad.

Angles my friend... work all the angles! as long as you are not putting out your own money it is a very fun thing to do. Our goal was to keep the 2 raptors and trailer and sell the WR450 and go buy a bigger boat. I wanted a large cabin cruiser. But over thanksgiving I was down at the dealership looking at the midnight star and decided to go another direction. My figuring is if the quads wear out their fun too soon I'll just flip them and the trailer for a boat. Start all over again.

Over the summer I traded my honda XR400 for a super nice Honda CR250R which I flipped in 48 hours for a 1993 Ford Explorer for my daughter for her 16th birthday present. The guy with the explorer wanted a 2-stroke ripper... so I made it all happen in 1 weekend. LOL
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

That's awesome! I'm trying to barter my truck for another motorcycle, but not getting a lot of bites. So far, all I've seen are thrashed sport bikes, a few snowmobiles, and a Raptor 660. Unfortunately, a sport ATV isn't much use to me, and I don't have anywhere to keep it. Maybe I'm too focused on getting the right thing, and should just bite on something. For you, it seems like you go for things that you're interested in, but not necessarily exactly what you're looking for. Maybe I should take a cue from that.
              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

If I can't get things specifically I want out of a trade I look at what is being offered I can get the most out of. Keep your end goal always in mind. If it takes you 2 or 3 trades to get to where you want to go thats ok sometimes.

I never intended on getting into v-twin cruisers. I just couldn't pass up that v-star as they go like hotcakes around here. I was looking for a sport touring bike. Then I spent a summer running the v-star around and thought. Man I'd like to tour this bike out and take it on some trips. Keep the hard miles off Old Man. this thing is comfy, and lets face it the rumble of a v-twin while burning down the back highway is very awesome. So I looked into what I would need to buy to trick out the V-star. It was more cost effective to just off it and get a bigger bike with lower miles. So thats what I did.

Funny story... The wife and I are down at the dealership to take this midnight Star out for a test ride. Sitting next to it is a very clean, well toured out FJR1300... the bike I originally was after last summer. I sat on it, looked at the wife... she shook her head and pointed at the Midnight and said "No silly boy! we are here for this one!"
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hey there Don,

Welcome back, glad to hear your job is prospering. Well, I ventured on a little project for a local Xsive, making some header pipes to replace his old rusted out MAC ones, here's the link to the thread if you want to review it...involves some fun Tig Welding....thankyou for your previous input!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=exhaust+mod

And this is the continuing thread by the same member, and I also helped repair the exhaust on his SG as well. The following link should start you out on page 6 of the thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35894&page=6

Hope to see more of you on the forum, enjoy, chill and such!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi ya TC,

I'll read up on your progress. I remember you were going at some headers the last time we talked. Good to hear your still plugging away at it.
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Welcome back Don,I just been work,work,work,and then the same on interior of my house.Not fun,but a nessesity if I want to keep the peace with the wife.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Interior work sucks John. But sounds like a necessary evil eh buddy? Lol!
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                        X