First ride of 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride of 2013

It was so sunny and warm the other day, I broke out the old 79 11 sf and took it for a not so leagal rip. About half way to work it started shutting off and on as I zipped along. I would get power if jiggled the fuse box a little. After pulling over twice I was sure I'd get stopped by a cop, but I didn't. When I got to work I found out the blade fuse was all rusty. No troble. Quick fix.
    Anyway, it was a blast to be back on the eleven after about a year of being kicked around by life and not riding. The xs850 is great on the highway but doesn't have the snap of the 11. Why does it seem like the 850 is working less and rolling easyer down the highway than the 11?

I'm getting back to my projects now and I'm going to rob parts from the 79 SF. I'll have a titled frame with one of the strongest running motors I've had in it to spare. It leaks a little drip of oil from the crank. I know I'll never fix it and wouldn't build a project around a leaking engine.
    It would be nice to help out one of you guys with title problems. I'd take offers, and sell it for a little. It's a complete bike right now, you could run it to check it out.
    Here it is setting in the field I pulled it out of. The tires had both sunk way down. Believe it or not I was putting around the yard in one afternoon of work.

I used alot of the parts I had around to make it roadable and ran it to work for a season. I'd like my parts back now. It's just going to get kicked around after I take it apart. This is what it looks like now, but I need most of it.
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

good going ! your a lucky man riding so soon can,t wait to do the same regards and ride safe ! slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I rode mine shortly after the new year to test out the Shinko rear tire. Rides nice and smooth, and today it helped me negotiate some black ice. Draft from a passing 18 wheeler was blowing me sideways on the ice, but the tires held and we got past the ice fine. Only had a couple of big-eyed moments. 5 sunny days in a row, 3 or 4 more to go on the Oregon coast in the winter. I can like that.
      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

feels great to get out in the middle of winter...we've finally have some winter here so no riding for a change...Garrett it seems a shame to dis-assemble such a nice looking machine...i'd be very happy to own it as it sits and i suspect many others would too....but whatever you do it's always good...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The only reason that bike looks so nice is all of my midnight restoration parts ended up on it with a nice paint pearl tank that was owed to me. 80 sg seat, bar and light were off the shelf too! The exhaust is on the way out,The original fenders and forks are rust and a buddy stole the faded red tank. it sat in a field for four or five years...the electronics aren't the best...but still ran like a champ. To be honest I never even cleaned the carbs....I also need them for the project
          If nobody needs a titled frame and motor, i'll let it set in the garage for another day..
          79 DT 100

Comment

I'd love to buy it but I'm already committed to 2 1/2 bike builds and you live too far away. That white bike is gorgeous.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I'm only getting rid of the frame, motor and maybe the tank and side covers.
              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
              X