Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loading your motorcycle

http://youtu.be/z2EfBPgwi8E
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Not one of those idiots thought about the angle of the ramps and the truck bed. I guess they do teach geometry in school anymore. As for the rest, just a congenital lack of brain cells.
    Ole Jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Well, at least one of them was wearing a helmet.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

So seriously, what's the best way to load a motorcycle into a truck? Any tips or tricks?
        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Best way to load a bike into a truck is put a hitch ball on it, and go to U-Haul. For $15-20 a day you can rent a trailer designed to haul a bike.

I have loaded a bike into and out of a truck once, when I broke down and a guy with a truck was kind enough to stop and help me load the bike into his truck and take me to the house. Many moons ago, before the days of cell phones. That was strictly lifting by hand no ramps.

The biggest mistake you see in those videos is using a very narrow ramp, no where to put your foot down if you need to stop part way, that and to short of a ramp for the height so the bike bottoms out on the frame. If you can, locate a ditch to put the back of the truck in, making the bed closer to level with the ground the bike is on. And use a long ramp that has the width to let you put a foot down as needed.

Thats the best advice I can give.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

proper way to load

http://youtu.be/E0BSoV_Kltg
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

LOL, I don't think I'll be using the method in that last video anytime soon!

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from on the trailer thing. Unfortunately u-haul charges on the order of $100 for a one-way trip, and pushing on $60 if it's returned at the same location but 4 days later. Those are the realistic options for me, but it's tangential to this discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

One redeeming thing about the 2wd mini trucks like the S10 and such is that they do have low beds. Unfortunately, they're not very long, though.

Comment

I have hauled lots of bikes in the back of a PU truck. I try and get the rear wheels in the low spot in front of the driveway apron.Then use a ramp or 2X6 off the tailgate onto the driveway. That usually gets the bed low enough to safely load a bike. I have never ridden one into the back. I always push it in, usually with at least one helper.
                You can always let a bunch of air out of the rear tires to get it even lower, provided you have access to air to refill the tires once loaded.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

One thing to remember about pickups is on most you can get the taillgate even lower by disconnecting the 'open' stays that hold it level. This will allow the gate to drop even lower and sometimes that will make the difference. The downside is the gate will usually contact the bumper and bang it up a bit if you have a nice truck, but it works great on my 'beater'....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Now I see why the guy who did my motorcycle test at the DMV give me such hell when I rode the bike up a 2X8 board into the truck bed after my drivers test ride. He must have observed someone like these idiots. I guess when the angle of the dangle exceeds the mental capacity of operator pain is observed.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
                      So seriously, what's the best way to load a motorcycle into a truck? Any tips or tricks?
                      Hi Kevin,
                      the local school had a wheelchair ramp that a truck could back up to the other side of and drive the bike straight onto.
                      Then the wheelchair kid graduated, they tore the ramp down and I moved to another town.
                      Absent a loading dock, 3 burly friends and a long enough, wide enough ramp should do it.
                      Once the bike is in the truck box, put the front wheel in one corner, the back wheel kitty-corner, and strap her down so as to half-compress the suspension to keep the straps tight.
                      Me, I don't have a truck so I built a bike trailer instead.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

In my teens our neighbor hood gang shared a '71 Kaw 125:

which the owners dad, the actual owner, hauled to the trails with his Plymouth Fury III

with this type of trailer:

and after every corner we would all jump out and pick the bike up straighten it out and proceed to the next corner and promptly repeat.

Half my life ago I thought nothing of riding my dirt bikes up a 12' 2x10 into the bed of my truck...slid off the ramp once...wet ramp mud on tires...no big deal...so I started to carry two planks walk up one and use the engine to power the bike up the other.

Today I use an all purpose modified trailer with a removable wheel chock that I built over the last two years as time allowed, only to have my stepson buy a Honda VT1100, last summer, that required him to take the BIKE TRAILER as part of the deal and geuss who has room to store it.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanks for the bike loading tips.

Schming, good story about the Kawasaki. I have a bike which is a distant relative of that one.

Comment

My brother had the 'VIP' version of that Fury. You could park that bike in the back seat with three of your friends!

Talk about a land yacht aircraft carrier of a vehicle
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
                              Thanks for the bike loading tips.

Schming, good story about the Kawasaki. I have a bike which is a distant relative of that one.

Nice! The rich kids, in high school, that had bikes but didn't know how to work on'em employed a few of us to fix'em, so we would ride the school bus to their house and half ride and push their bike to my buddy's garage, estimate the problem, add a little extra for fuel fix 'em, ride'em for a week or so and give 'em back hopefully without bustin' anything
                              That's how I learned to trail ride as there was still fields and woods around, not anymore

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              My brother had the 'VIP' version of that Fury. You could park that bike in the back seat with three of your friends!

Talk about a land yacht aircraft carrier of a vehicle
                              When my buddy turned 16 he was able to "get the car" and we would go pick up 2 other guys and 4 girls in that Fury III It had a 383 and the touchiest brakes I've ever seen. First stop, where we would turn the top of the air filter over, was the parts store for the left motor mount, cost 5 bucks, that he would bust just about every time I didn't have to chip in for gas if I changed it at the end of the night Got it down to about 15 min. That engine would blow freeze plugs on the left side a lot too, same one every time but his old man took care of that, too complicated fer us youngins'
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X