Where is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this?

I ride Amtrak,I am on the Texas Eagle from LA heading to Chicago and look out my window and see this...not a good shot as it was spur of the moment,anybody know where this was.I think TXThis was from a trip about three years ago.
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
    Texas Eagle from LA heading to Chicago and look out my window and see this...
    Just Guessing, but looking at the horizon, the trees, the shadow from the fence, winter looking scene, estimated time of day, approx direction of travel, rail line etc. I'd guess maybe north of Marshall Texas, Jefferson, Linden?? on the way to Texarkana. That WAG might be totally whacked, but also seems plausible. Trees too winter looking to me to be mid-central Texas. Next step is to find a Texan to confirm and narrow the search area. (you sure Texas?? Looks more southern Illinois 'ish) Train rolls into Texarkana just before dark then hits daylight again in southern Illinois??

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Can you tell what the symbol on the tank in the background is?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Not sure but there is a place in San Marcos TX next to the railroad tracks called Railyard Bar & Grill with horseshoe pits like your picture - they have an iron fence too - though I cannot find a pic that shows the view like yours - the ads look more built up.

http://railyardbarandgrill.com/

Best to look at the EXIF data in the original digital file (though your pic looks like a film camera snap) and see if GPS data is there.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

You Might be able to get on google maps satilite view and follow the railroad the path of your travel and Identify it. You can guesstimate how far you might have been at the time you took the picture as a starting point.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

from google
            Amtrak's Texas Eagle | Mineola, TX
            www.texaseagle.com/stations/MIN.htm
            Local information for Mineola, TX: hotels, car rental, points of interest, ... Just south and west of the depot, look for numerous horseshoe throwing pits - a ...
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I think you are close hamjam, but mineola's pits look like this from someones train pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1064583...50810651364546

And they dont look like the first pic. But East TX is likely the place since horseshoe tournaments are big up there and many towns have pits.

Keep looking guys!

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thanks guys for the hard work..that picture was a spur of the moment post on line and to.. see where I was. I ride Amtrak every winter for about 5-6 thousand miles and it is always the same road bed so I don't really pay attention to where I am at,I just look out the window and
                I have hundreds of pics from the train,I don't even which train I am on half the time but yeah that picture.....what kinda town would have all those horse shoe pitsI did horse shoes as a kid with my dad.I was not good at it. Oh well lets ride the rail..
                '80 XS1100 SG
                Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                X