Michigan Catastrophic "Insurance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Catastrophic "Insurance"

Another reason to not live in Michigan, but hey, I was born and raised here .
    Many years ago, some one decided to create the
    Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association. http://michigancatastrophic.com/
    Yearly, each vehicle has to pay a fee into this Association. this is in addition to your "regular" insurance.
    It first started out around $45 dollars a year, per vehicle, including motorcycles.

This year the rate is $175.00 per vehicle.

I wanted to tell any Michigan XS Owners that if they plate their 26 years or older vehicle/motorcycle as a Historical or Authentic vehicle, they will be accessed only 20% of the rate. See this link http://michigancatastrophic.com/Cons...3/Default.aspx
    Instead of paying $175, I pay only $35 per year on my bike.....Two years ago, I noticed that I had a Brand New Looking 1979 Michigan Motorcycle plate screwed to the collection on the wall, so I registered my bike to that plate as an "Authentic Plate". For more information on this look at this link http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5712--,00.html
    Oh, yeah, talk to your Insurance Agent....many of them don't know this.

Copy and paste this, send it to any of your friends in Michigan with Classic/Vintage/Historical Vehicles-Motorcycles.
    Mike From Battle Creek, Michigan
    *1979 Yamaha XS1100 SF Special
    w/ 1972 Spirit Of America Eagle Sidecar

*1960 Honda MiniTrail w/Triumph 650 engine
    *1971 Honda CT90K3 Trail 90
    *1973 Honda CB750 *1976 Honda CT70 Trail 70
    *1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
    *1999 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Drifter

MI Insurance

BCMike,
    I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now, maybe now is the time to pull the trigger.
    On top of paying on each bike, you may not collect from the fund for most motorcycle accidents because bikes do not fall under the "no fault" coverage.
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

What a political ripoff. I say this because politicians have to know what is going on and they allow it. Some one is getting big donations or evern a bunch of money under the table. Some one over there needs to get all the motorcycle groups together and start on the politicians. Dig into the background of these people and see if there are anyone with ties to this fund. Go after them.
      Ole Jack
      J.D."Jack" Smith
      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
      1978E straight job
      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

We have something similar here but it is assessed to the plates and not the insurance. Last I knew for sure it was about 4 bucks a year. Apparently this is for unsatisfied claims such as an uninsured or under insured driver being at fault, hit and runs etc, then one has a recourse to regain some of what he is out.
        I have never had to use it yet but one of my friends did and he got 5,000 bucks toward his bills, (truck fix and medical) which did not cover it. It did however ease the pain somewhat knowing he was not out the whole bill.
        One you are at 45 bucks that sucks wind as you could carry optional insurance that would cover it better. Some of the insurance things we have up here will forgo that fee if you have proof of other coverage. Nine times out of ten they say nope you still pay though.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Sure, but, keep in-mind that historical plates can only be used for club activities, etc., not general transportation. If you get caught by the police using the bike for other purposes, I'm sure a nice ticket helping pay some politicians will be coming your way.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Sure, but, keep in-mind that historical plates can only be used for club activities, etc., not general transportation..
            That varies from state to state. They all ban 'vintage' or 'historical' plate use on vehicles used for everyday transportation, but definitions of allowable use vary widely. Check your local laws before going with vintage plates, but most places don't enforce too heavily unless it becomes obvious....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The standard reply, if stopped and questioned as to your destination, "I'm going to the Chapter Presidents house to get an appraisal on the bike".
              Or to LA to see if they need it in a "period piece". (This works if you get stopped heading west in Utah).
              The principle being that you lie to them like politcians lie to us.
              "Club activities" can take many forms, and you going for a ride every day can be to scout out ride routes for your up coming club rides.
              Just don't get the neighbors mad about loud pipes, and the cops mad about reckless driving, and I doubt you will have any problems. CZ

Comment

I have yet to hear of any one ever getting stopped because of their Historic Plates. In Battle Creek, a friend of mine drove a Historic Plated '40 Ford to Work daily 6 months of a year, parked near the road.....for over a Decade.
                I think its equal to Police enforcing Loud Exhaust/Modified Exhaust on motorcycles....it just doesn't happen, they have better things to do, UNLESS provoked or challenged.
                Mike From Battle Creek, Michigan
                *1979 Yamaha XS1100 SF Special
                w/ 1972 Spirit Of America Eagle Sidecar

*1960 Honda MiniTrail w/Triumph 650 engine
                *1971 Honda CT90K3 Trail 90
                *1973 Honda CB750 *1976 Honda CT70 Trail 70
                *1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
                *1999 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Drifter

Comment

Here in WI any of those antique, collector, hobbyist, etc plates are not allowed to be driven on public roads in January.

Just something else for you to check before you go switching plates.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                  X