Winter ride video today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter ride video today.

Charged the battery fully, cranked it over quite a lot, it started , so I figured I should take a short ride, because the sun was shining brightly and it was only 32 degrees......also, with the sidecar, I can't fall down, so that added to the confidence. I decided to get some more Sea Foam and on the way, the Low Fuel light came on....what perfect timing.
    My wife Terrie was kind enough to bundle up and take the video, she even surprised me by waiting around to film me coming back to the house.
    Good thing I didn't take a longer ride, huh ?
    Here's the link to the video
    http://youtu.be/w8bIxSaYJqI
    Mike From Battle Creek, Michigan
    *1979 Yamaha XS1100 SF Special
    w/ 1972 Spirit Of America Eagle Sidecar

*1960 Honda MiniTrail w/Triumph 650 engine
    *1971 Honda CT90K3 Trail 90
    *1973 Honda CB750 *1976 Honda CT70 Trail 70
    *1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
    *1999 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Drifter

Very cool. Also love the IH truck. My Dad had a 71.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

YIKES! I was cold sitting here next to the woodstove in upstate N.Y. watching that video.Wouldn't dare take my bike out,to much salt on the roads up here.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Cold!

I am always thinking about the salt too. I always see this one idiot every morning riding his little scooter. He is always riding down the very center of the lane where all the salt is piled up. I just want to stop him and tell him what an idiot he is!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I used to have an old 71 honda 125 twin when I was stationed in Germany while I was in the Army,many moons ago.I used to ride that thing all year long even in the snow,on cobble stone roads,and yes,I've been down my share of times. Sucks not having a cage in though's time's,but I sure had a good time with that bike,even rode it on the autobaun ONCE,wouldn't recommend doing that again..
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

From the guy in the Video

The roads were very dry, no slush, plus the driveway was pretty firm.
            I wouldn't take it out in the slushy wet, cause I HATE to clean it, got too many other thing to do.....like filling the bird feeders, hah!
            Oh , and by the way , the truck in the background, 1972 Dodge. I inherited it from my Father in Law in 1995. First year Body, First year 400 Big Block, front disc brakes, electronic ignition, Headers with FlowMaster Mufflers.....but what's really special is that it even EXISTS here in Michigan, what with the road salt and all. It was never driven much in the winters, pulled his fifth wheel down to Florida with it. Yeah, it has its' share of rust and dents, but it still roars on down the road, nothing like at dusk rolling down the backroads with all the windows open
            OOPs, getting Off Topic, sorry

*1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

Comment

Originally posted by bcmike View Post
              - - - with the sidecar, I can't fall down, so that added to the confidence. - - -
              Hi Mike,
              agreed you can't fall over but you gotta watch those zero-grip-in-the-cold bike tires.
              My own annual first snowfall ride around the block is an adventure in wheelspin, going straight with the bars turned and brake lock.
              BTW, how easy does the Spirit Eagle lift on your XS11?
              My son has one on his XS650 and it'll fly like a flag unless it's carrying a passenger or equivalent ballast.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Mike,
                Nice to get your bike out in winter. Should have got your wife to go with you and film your whole ride. That would have been cool...or should I say cold.

Thanks for posting that on Youtube.

Wayne
                80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Phoenix Rider: check out this video then. http://youtu.be/RVAYR-7ehp0 It has a lot of wind noise, but you get the idea.

Also, which pair of the Motorhead Headphones have you had on preorder ???? http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...t-ces-20130109
                  I bet you just can"t WAIT !

*1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Mike,
                    agreed you can't fall over but you gotta watch those zero-grip-in-the-cold bike tires.
                    My own annual first snowfall ride around the block is an adventure in wheelspin, going straight with the bars turned and brake lock.
                    BTW, how easy does the Spirit Eagle lift on your XS11?
                    My son has one on his XS650 and it'll fly like a flag unless it's carrying a passenger or equivalent ballast.
                    Fred....I follow your sagely advise on ASOK http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/ The Internet Sidecar Owners Klub...and yes, I carry the required amount of Lead Bars in a dufflebag and cut down plastic jug; just the right amount.Hey, I wonder if other members think that Saskatoon, SK is some where in South Karolina.
                    Have you seen this photo before
                    ?

*1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

Comment

Originally posted by bcmike View Post
                      Phoenix Rider: check out this video then. http://youtu.be/RVAYR-7ehp0 It has a lot of wind noise, but you get the idea.

Also, which pair of the Motorhead Headphones have you had on preorder ???? http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...t-ces-20130109
                      I bet you just can"t WAIT !
                      Hi Mike,
                      That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting that up. Looks like a nice road to ride and the scenery is very picturesque.
                      As far as the Motorheadphones go, there is only one kind to order...THE LOUD ONES. I went with my 20 year old daughter last February and saw Motorhead and yes...they were loud. I'm lucky, my daughter likes the loud stuff too.

Thanks,
                      Wayne
                      80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                      Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Damn small font...I will have to get my reading glasses so I can read these posts!!!!
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

How much garage space do you have? Are both the 2-"car" garages and the building out back yours? If so, you're a lucky guy. That's my dream right there.

Come on, Rasputin, join the club!
                          Last edited by CRXSi90; 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM.
                          '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
                          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

That mini trail 50 with the 650 engine is cool.
                            BTW, what are you guys yelling about?lol
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Must be an old Harley Rider. With all them old loud pipes..Yelling is a must as hearing is shot.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X