california bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california bikes

hey, i was wondering what it takes to own and ride a bike in california? here in minnesota you need the title and insurance and tabs for the bike (plus endorsement on the license of course.) any different out there? does the bike need a title? i was thinking of just buying a cheap bike while i'm out there for a month and try to re sell it before i go...
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

california

Hi Midwest, here in the land of Cantafordya, the legal way to ride is to get the title switched over, get it registered, have insurance and a motorcycle stamp on your drivers license,,,,,,but, if you are only riding for a month just get the title from the seller, call your insurance agent to be safe in case you get pulled over, go to the dmv and get the title switched, pay the fees, around 80.00 and go ride. To resell the bike you would need a title in your name anyway, so make sure the seller has one or its a real hassle with the CHP and DMV. OR if you are really hard up, just borrow a buddies for a month and not go through the hassle. Or if you are well to do, there are lots of places to rent them. Personally,,,the best way is the legal way with all the liablility and lawsuits goiing on....................Mike in San DIego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Bring your plate and insurance card with you when you buy the bike put your minn plate on it and forget giving cantafordya any $$.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

ya, i had been driving with a Missouri plate for almost a year when i moved back to Cali. I know two friends that had been driving with an out of state license plate for almost a year too. (legally, you need to get cali plates in 60 days or so when you established residency here).
        My bi-annual DMV fee in MO was like 65 bucks. My annual DMV fees in CA was 100.
        79 XS11

Comment

holy crap my DMV fee's for my bike in N.Y. is about $35, yr.
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

oops, sorry I didn't specify, it was for a 1997 Toyota Celica.
            79 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by Shockman54 View Post
              does the bike need a title? i was thinking of just buying a cheap bike while i'm out there for a month and try to re sell it before i go...

To me you would be kind of 'hanging out there' with the liability. Kind of depends on Who you would purchase a vehicle from, how you would explain the date & mileage gap for the time you used the vehicle, and Who you would sell the vehicle to. All that plus you don't have a Calif residency. Lot's of things to go wrong. Rent-A-Wreck Bike or Bike Rental potentially could save you a big hassle. Here is what Calif DMV says:

Requirements after selling a vehicle. When selling a California registered vehicle, the registered owner of record must:

Protect Your Liability. Complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. The seller is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 5 days from the date of sale. After DMV updates the information from the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, you will be cleared from future liability on the vehicle. The purchaser is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 10 days from the date of purchase.

I agree with Soccer4M, "Go the Legal Way". I lived in Calif for a long time and IMHO would not mess with something this tricky or loaded with potential liability & legal problems.

For what its worth, Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

thanks guys, that cleared a lot up for me. i think i am going to try to get my friend to lend me his bike while i'm out there. one of my dreams has been to ride the pch all the way up to the redwood groves.
                1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
                progress thus far...

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

title questions in california

so during my trip out to san francisco, i will be helping my friend pick out a motorcycle to buy, and one of the ones he is interested in has no title. now here in Minnesota, as long as the bike hasn't been registered for a while and it doesn't come up stolen, the state will issue a new title to you (both no title bikes i purchased here hadn't been tabbed since 95...) so my question is, how hard is it to get a title out there?
                  progress thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by Shockman54 View Post
                    so during my trip out to san francisco, i will be helping my friend pick out a motorcycle to buy, and one of the ones he is interested in has no title. now here in Minnesota, as long as the bike hasn't been registered for a while and it doesn't come up stolen, the state will issue a new title to you (both no title bikes i purchased here hadn't been tabbed since 95...) so my question is, how hard is it to get a title out there?
                    Check your facts in MN, there is more too it there.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

yes there is more to it, but thats what i was able to do with both bikes...
                      progress thus far...

Comment

I wish I could remember what thread it was, but a deceased member in California was talking about how difficult it was to title a vehicle there if you don't have one. The big issue is California 'purges' vehicles completely out of their database if they haven't been licensed in X number of years (and I don't recall how many). So if it's out, you must have some sort of 'official' proof of ownership to retitle it. He discovered this when trying to retitle a bike he bought new; he lost all the paperwork and the state refused to issue a title...

And only the 'lawful' owner can do this, so buying a no-title bike is a waste of time.
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

In California, if you do not have a title, you CANNOT get a title. Just RUN AWAY from the bike!! With the DMV here, the rules and needs can change from one person to the next, and usually for the worse!
                          ONCE AGAIN, NO TITLE< NO BIKE!!
                          Sorry, but that is just how bad it is here.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks a lot guys. really appreciate it. should help immensely when shopping out there.
                            progress thus far...

Comment

Working...
                            X