Calling all Computer Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay Steve, you caught me!

I actually didn't get to see/use any 4 tracks, but knew they were still in vogue at the local radio station for their quick commercial tapes. I got my first car in '76 and put a fine Pioneer SuperTuner/8-track combo in it!

As for CD's being on their way out...well maybe, but if I have the choice and chance to get the songs I want on CD or download in MP3 format, I take the CD every time! They are still much superior in sound quality, and they provide the "backup" source you spoke about. Yes, Jack, you will want to make backup copies of your MASTER files, either onto a second CD...or IF you also have a DVD burner, would suggest putting them onto them instead.
    DVD's will hold about 6.5 CD's worth of WAV files, but burned as DATA files, not AUDIO files persae`, they are still WAV audio files and can be played from the DVD with the use of the COMPUTER and a Wav file player program, but not on a regular CD music player.

I recommend the DVD's because they are more durable...the data layer is sandwiched between the two plastic layers, so they don't need a stick on label to protect the data layer. You can just use a SHARPIE marker to label each disc as you go. THE CD disc's data layer is right on the surface of the CD...and can be easily damaged, scratched, and destroyed with minor bumps, scratches, etc.! So..if you don't have a good label maker, printer, stamper...the thing that helps you CENTER the disc on the label before you actually press the sticky glue side against the data layer. If you are going to be using these CD's in your car, mobil device, then you really need to put a protective label on them. Also burned CD's are not as durable, and can actually be erased/scrambled when stored in a car in the summer heat!!!

As Steve stated, we really recommend recording just 1 song at a time, I know this would take a bit more "time" having to monitor the computer as you are recording, having to stop the program/cassette player after every song, but you'll easily be able to have each song separated.

Remember, you should record the cassette songs onto the HARD DRIVE first, and then use a CD burning program to put them onto the CD. True, you could record 1 whole side of a cassette as 1 long track, and then burn it to a CD as 1 whole track, but then you loose the ability to easily and quickly seek or pass individual songs/tracks since there are no song/track markers between the songs in the 1 long file/track. As Steve stated, you could place end of track markers into the 1 long track, but that's even more work IMHO!

You can still record the cassette side in 1 long song/wav file for ease and less monitoring of the process. Save the large file FIRST. THEN you can use the WAV file editor program you recorded it with to view/highlight/select EACH SONG from the main file, COPY that section, then open a NEW wav file, PASTE that into the new file, and then save that file as 1 song. Then go back to the Master recorded file, select the NEXT track, repeat to save them all. This way you still get your individual songs separated, and the convenience of recording the cassette or Album a side at a time! YMMV!

Recording the Cassettes will actually be easier because you won't need to edit them to remove any pops/clicks and such like on an ALBUM. There are some advanced editting tricks to use to remove pronounced pops/clicks from an album track. I won't go into that right now. The "filtering" features of some album recording software seems to filter out more than just the pops/snaps....and can make the sound muffled or not as crisp...IMHO!

Steve, you'll just need to check your cars specs to see what size Flash drive it can recognize. Mine can also use flash drives as well as SD cards, but can only "see" 2 GB sized or less. Also, it may only recognize USB2 or 1, not USB3 type flash drives? IIRC, I just copy the MP3's onto the flash drive or SD card both just in the main root directory, but also have set them up in separate folders and the player spans the folders. I found out that it will only recognize 255 songs/tracks, so even though my 2 GB SD card can hold more, it will not see the tracks after the 255th one, and it sees them in the order that they were copied onto the drive, not in alpha-numeric order! HTH.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Steve, you'll just need to check your cars specs to see what size Flash drive it can recognize. Mine can also use flash drives as well as SD cards, but can only "see" 2 GB sized or less. Also, it may only recognize USB2 or 1, not USB3 type flash drives? IIRC, I just copy the MP3's onto the flash drive or SD card both just in the main root directory, but also have set them up in separate folders and the player spans the folders. I found out that it will only recognize 255 songs/tracks, so even though my 2 GB SD card can hold more, it will not see the tracks after the 255th one, and it sees them in the order that they were copied onto the drive, not in alpha-numeric order! HTH.
      The problem I've ran into is I want to use WAV files, not the low quality MP3 format. I know what I need to do, but need to upgrade my computer hard drive (or buy a big external drive, which is probably what I'll do) as I need to 'archive' the tracks to that before transferring them to the flash drive. This has to do with the car's SYNC system program and copyright (what a PITA...). A 8GB drive will hold about 9 albums worth in WAV format.. Supposedly there isn't a track number limit, but go too big and the head unit will take longer and longer time to upload the track index, to the point where you may have to wait a 1/2 hour or more before the system will work (or so I've been told). It also depends on what program you use to put the tracks on the flash drive (I-tunes, etc).

The 4-tracks that you're thinking of was a commercial format used by radio stations only, and wasn't compatible with 'consumer' decks as the tape speed was 7.5" IPS. These were used up until 1990 before being replaced with digital. The original 4-track car tapes looked just like the commercial tapes but ran at the slower 3.75" IPS like the 8-tracks, with the major difference from 8-tracks being that the tape pinch wheel was part of the deck, not the tape cartridge. There was a large hole where the pinch wheel was on a 8-track, and when you inserted the tape the pinch wheel pivoted up into the cartridge to drive the tape. Main advantage was that the tape head alignment wasn't as critical as a 8-track as well as the two track heads were further apart (giving a bit better crosstalk number), but you could only get so much tape into the cartridge so longer albums wouldn't alway fit on one. Pinch wheel wear was a problem too. The 4-track consumer format was pretty much dead by 1970....

Earl 'Mad Man' Muntz developed the car 4-track based on the commercial units and introduced them in 1962. Bill Lear (of Lear Jet fame) took that design and upgraded it into the 8-track. He had better connections in Detroit, so those became OEM-optional in most US cars until the early 80s.
      Last edited by crazy steve; 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        The possibilties are endless....

What's going on now is that CDs are on their way out to a degree. My new car will accept flash drives (AKA thumb drive), once I figure out how to load music onto those so the car will recognize it, I won't even need CDs in the car.
        Friend on mine just bought a new wireless for his '68 Pontiac. Looks just like a new CD player but has no slot for discs. It takes USB, SD Card or iPod/iPhone only. (or radio)

Took him about a week to figure out how to get music onto a USB stick. (once he figured out what a USB stick was)
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          The problem I've ran into is I want to use WAV files, not the low quality MP3 format. I know what I need to do, but need to upgrade my computer hard drive (or buy a big external drive, which is probably what I'll do) as I need to 'archive' the tracks to that before transferring them to the flash drive. This has to do with the car's SYNC system program and Copyright (what a PITA).
          Steve,

I don't like External HD's because of the slow USB access/transfer speed. I know there's a newer USB spec, but I'm not going to change my computer for that..even though there's probably a simple PCI/E card to install. I'm sure your computer can handle more than 1 internal hard drive! Just get an extra SATA 2-3 TB drive and throw it in there.....get an extra drive letter(s) depending on if you want to divide it into virtual drives...and go to town.

Yeah, I understand the copyright idea, but like you said, a real PITA for personal use on more than 1 machine. With I-tunes I get around it by burning the songs to a CD in WAV format....then I re-rip them to the HD...have iTunes preference set to make MP3's instead of MP4's, and this strips the copyright from the songs so I can then use them in/on any device(s) I desire! It does involve an extra couple of steps, but it's worth it to me to not have to use the Proprietary iTunes program and equipment to access and use the songs I own and have paid for!

With ripping wav's from a commercial CD I don't know what program you're using to rip them...I know Windows Media Player has all of that DRM crap encoded into it, and with NEWER CD's I guess transfers the Copyright/DRM code into the WAV's it rips...I don't know for sure? I don't use that program, but one called Exact Audio Copy which is NOT a Microsoft Product, and I don't think puts any DRM type encoding into the ripped WAV files.

What kind of DRM problems are you having with ripping CDs and your car player???

Hey Walker, that's not a bad learning curve for an "Kiwi"...!
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

What kind of DRM problems are you having with ripping CDs and your car player???
            As far as the car deck playing copied CDs, no problem. It's getting them onto the flash drive that's the issue. If I were willing to use the MP3 format, I'd be done but I can easily tell the difference in sound quality and want to use WAV files instead (as a side note, the factory audio system in the car is head-and-shoulders above anything I've ever had before! Including a few where I spent some serious money!). The Ford SYNC system will accept WAV files (or so the owners manual tells me), but the copyright tag has to be gone so I can't do simple 'copy to drive:F' transfers.

I've been to the various SYNC forums, but it quickly devolves into technobabble as I haven't done any downloading of music or own/use a I-pod or smart phone for music.

Basically, I'm a 'old dog' that has to learn a 'new trick' and I haven't had time to do so yet....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have copied everyones comments and now have a ecyclopedia of sound technology that I will teach me every and more of what I need to know about getting into the 20th century sound wise.
              thanks everyone. I really am grateful.
              Ole Jack
              J.D."Jack" Smith
              1980G&S "Halfbreed"
              1978E straight job
              "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
                I have copied everyones comments and now have a ecyclopedia of sound technology that I will teach me every and more of what I need to know about getting into the 20th century sound wise.
                thanks everyone. I really am grateful.
                Ole Jack
                Sellout!
                Looks like I'll be the last grouchy old fart that knows how the crank the Victrola. Hummph.

CZ

Comment

Hey Walker, that's not a bad learning curve for an "Kiwi"...!
                  Hey, Give him a break, he's still driving a 68' Ponty after all.... These things take time ya know..
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Update wanted!

Hey Jack,

Just wondering if you've been able to do any of the tape to Cd conversions yet?? How does it sound to you?

Hope you're rockin'!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                    X