Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many bikes was it, Ian?

Ian D's signature line sez:-
    You would think I was lying if I listed all the bikes I've owned!
    Not necessarily, I've owned a few myself.
    However, while my own instinctive thought on how many I've owned since my first bike 1957 was "effin' 'undreds" a written list of the bikes I insured, registered and rode only adds up to 35.
    How about the rest of us?
    Who's just got one?
    Who's got a barn-full?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Both bikes I've ever owned are listed in my signature. An XS850 that I fixed up for sale, and my first, and only bike now - my 1100 MNS.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

bikes

From my drug induced 60's recollection of bikes owned-
      rupp minibike, honda 50, honda 90 trail, suzuki 360, yamaha 360 enduro, kawasaki 125 enduro, yamaha 490 dirt, yamaha 250 it, yamaha 400 it, yamaha xs400-five total, honda cx500, yamaha xj-650,750,550,1100-nine different, yamaha xs750, xs650, xs500, benelli minibike, ... Mike in Sun Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

After my father passed in 2008, and my older brother in 2010, my mom told me to get rid of the bikes or she would herself (driveway with a "free" sign). The XS11 brings the total to 23 titled bikes in my name. That excludes dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, nd jet skis/boat up in Traverse City at my parents lake house on Torch Lake.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I deleted this message.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I have owned 19 bikes over the years. I currently have 9 XS11's, 2 of which will never see the road again. Not that those 2 could not be brought back, just they are worth more as parts bikes. The time and cost to make them roadworthy would be a huge undertaking, so parts it is, for myself and other members who may need those parts.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

10, i think
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

1, just the one.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  1, just the one.
                  Pshaw another one of those guys who get it right the first time.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    Pshaw another one of those guys who get it right the first time.
                    Never said that.....
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Street bikes, not that many until I retired and had time find those bikes that needed 'saving'.... LOL. Current population is 7 (well, titled frames anyway) with four Harleys and two XS11s and a XJ11. First real street bike was a XS2 650, prior bikes (in reverse order), a '71 360 Yamaha enduro (first brand new bike), 175 Suzuki, three Hodakas, a 160 twin Honda 'Scrambler' (which had exhaust that would burn the crap out of you if you fell over, which was often because it was so heavy), a step-through 90, and the very first, a early-60s Jawa (125? Been a long time...) that was a 'dirt bike' by the simple expedient of putting a huge rear sprocket and knobbie on it. You almost needed a gas mask with that one, given the cloud of smoke that came out of it. Few of them went fast enough to really hurt yourself.... Only a few survived my treatment of them to be sold/traded while still running until the 360, but then again that was the first nice bike I owned. Semi-wish I'd kept the 650, and I liked the looks of the scrambler but it was slow and heavy.

These days, I like working on them as much as riding, so I have plenty to do...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, mine are all in my signature. I was forbidden to own any when I was younger. I have owned an XS750, two CB750C, and two XS1100, one I still have and ride.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                        X