this years last ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this years last ride

hi all!! it,s 3 degrees here in Ontario 37 for my southern friends!! i,m off to burn a tank of gas before putting the bike away! it,s a sad day but i,m so ready for this ride ! as always ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

I got in a 150 miles yesterday,went from Hayward to Duluth/Superior.
    The weather was in the low 50's and not to bad. Unfortunately I have a feeling that will be my last long ride for the year. I will keep riding until it snows or not safe just the same. It's a sinking feeling knowing I have to put her away in the near future It's been a great summer having the bike and it has started every time and ran good for me since I got it. Here's to a short winter.
    81 H

Comment

Just put a jacket on and keep riding! 37°F is right about when I add the liner to my non-mesh jacket and put the lowers on.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

It's not the temp, it's the white stuff...lol
        81 H

Comment

I have not whimped out to putting a fairing and all that sissy gear on my bike, I do have saddlebags to carry gear in.

I find I can dress warm enough to not freeze my tail off, but it is not enjoyable for me to ride when I have to look like the michelin man to do it. So, I keep my bike ready to go on those days it is over 45-50 degrees for short runs, and longer ones when it warms up even higher occasionally during the winter months. When I need to take a hot shower and still wait a few hours to feel warm again after the ride, it loses its appeal for me.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Whimped??????????

[QUOTE=DGXSER;392707]I have not whimped out to putting a fairing and all that sissy gear on my bike,

I would rather be a WIMP (note spelling) than a frozen turd. With my Windjammer and lowers I can ride most of the winter when the roads are free of ice and snow. Otherwise, a motorcycle in my area would be a waste of money and effort.
            put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
            79 F (Blueballs)
            79 SF (Redbutt)
            81 LH (organ donor)
            79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
            76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
            rover has spoken

Comment

When I was young I rode in lower temps teens and 20's no fairing and even in limited distance rides you can get really cold. Now day's I stray away from all that and not because its cold and can become miserable but because when you are cold or dealling with it you can become numb and distracted. For me its the thought of being frozen solid hitting that pavement that makes me love the fairring. Now a dirt bike or something off road is a bit different because I have never had a tree jump in front of me but cars do it all the time.

So for all you die hards that brave long trips in the sub freezing tempetures you have my admiration. Still I hope you remain safe because we would miss you being here otherwise.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

homophone

Originally posted by rover View Post
                - - - I would rather be a WIMP (note spelling) than a frozen turd. With my Windjammer and lowers I can ride most of the winter when the roads are free of ice and snow. Otherwise, a motorcycle in my area would be a waste of money and effort.
                Hi Rover,
                you wrote in Oldspeak
                Whimp is Newspeak. Combines whining and wimping.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

With one bike being Vetter full dress and now with the lowers, it is designated as the winter bike. As long as nothing is frozen to the road, the wife and I ride all year in the Cincinnati area.

Just dress warm enough to be outside and your dressed enough to ride:

If you're in Ohio, remember that they don't keep the snow cleared well with all the budget cuts.
                  This was an interesting hill with the sun going down and everything refreezing:
                  Current Stable:
                  1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                  1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                  WTB:
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                  1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

[QUOTE=fredintoon;392783]Hi Rover,
                    you wrote in Oldspeak
                    Whimp is Newspeak. Combines whining and wimping.[/QUOTE
                    ]I speak oldspeak, cause I AM old. 74 and still riding solo, no sidecar or training wheels.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
                      I speak oldspeak, cause I AM old. 74 and still riding solo, no sidecar or training wheels.
                      Hi Rover,
                      not quite old enough. "Newspeak" is the dumbed down version of English spoken by the proles in George Orwell's novel 1984 which was written in 1948.
                      BTW, I'm 75.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have the Answer!

Might not be something that you can do, but I know for sure that it works. If you want to ride year round and not freeze to death in the winter.................MOVE SOUTH. LOL. Just a thought.

Our weather here (GA) lately has been perfect. Lows are in the high 40s-low 50s. Highs are in the 70s. Leaves are really hitting the ground. Won't get cold here till probably December. And then, what we say is cold is likely not really cold to you guys. A minus temperature here is unheard of. "If" we get snow, it is gone the next day. And that might happen twice all winter. So yes, we are still riding here and don't plan to have to park them for many weeks yet. I like it!

MP
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike