No announcement yet.

The Adult Beverage Thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had to pay $8.68 for Ranier, I can say for certain that I would not be drinking it. I can't say I'd drink it at any price. BTDT, got the T-shirt.

I've come to the point where if I'm going to drink, it has to be something I really enjoy. Otherwise, I do just fine without.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      If I had to pay $8.68 for Ranier, I can say for certain that I would not be drinking it. I can't say I'd drink it at any price. BTDT, got the T-shirt.

I've come to the point where if I'm going to drink, it has to be something I really enjoy. Otherwise, I do just fine without.
      All I can say is there is only one beer available here that is cheaper. I would love to have a taste for the more expensive beers, but money is still money no matter what country you are from. Like I say ...I only rent it... so why blow my retirement on having a few beers.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I agree with Don, Burger was the worst ever made in Cincy. Although it did have medicinal purposes. A six pack of Burger and a few sliders from White Castle was guaranteed to clean your colon.

Sam Adams Utopias? Yes please!

Current Stable:
        1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
        1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
        1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
        1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
        WTB:
        1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
        1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Nope, it was Samichlaus Beer. I did some reading and it says it is only at 14%, but back when I tried it, it was in the low 20's % alcohol. It has since been replaced as strongest beer by Sam Adams Utopias Millennium II at 24%.

Rasputin... Rainier used to be the cheap party beer back when I was in high school. Last time I bought some while visiting Washington, they've gotten a bit "High Brow" with a price to match. Sure made me sad when I went to tour the brewery in Seattle and saw it's no longer there next to the higway.
          Highest commercial bottled beer maybe...if in Heidelberg visit the Vetter brauhaus and try the Vetter "33" said to be the highest alcohol content beer in Germany at 33% ....it tasted good served in only a 150mL glass and had some kick, but tasted really more like a strong port wine than a beer. If I want that much alcohol give me Schnapps!

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

... Rainier used to be the cheap party beer back when I was in high school. Last time I bought some while visiting Washington, they've gotten a bit "High Brow" with a price to match. Sure made me sad when I went to tour the brewery in Seattle and saw it's no longer there next to the highway.
            'Back in the day', Rainier was one of the 'better' local beers here in western Washington. The three 'big' brands were Rainier, Heidelberg, and the locally roundly-derided Olympia, all with local breweries. The cheap beers were Schmidt (AKA 'animal' beer for the game animals on the label), Lucky Lager, and Columbia Pale Ale. Miller, Pabst, and Budweiser were the expensive eastern 'imports'..

I drank a lot of Heidelberg for a couple of reasons; one, I liked the taste better than the other two, and two, a close friend's father worked for Heidelberg and would get mis-fill cases for about $3 each! That's 24 12 oz bottles, not 12-packs! Sometimes we'd get cases of quarts, but those are hard to drink fast enough to keep them from going flat (but we tried! And sometime succeeded! ) and really fueled drunken parties.

Rainier is ok beer, but it always gave me the worst hangovers....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

LOL.. Yeah, we had a friend of the family that was retired military, and dad would have him pick up several cases of Heidelberg from the base at @ $3 a case. That's what was around the house. If us teens ever had a get-together keg party, it was always Rainier. I had some senior pics taken in front of the Olympia breweries waterfall. Never got a taste for that one though.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

As my friends know, i don't drink much anymore.

I can drink cheap domestic beer and do, but prefer ales or stouts. I love Guinness but only from the tap. Tastes different in bottles or cans. I have made some great homebrew and that was always an ale or stout. One of my favorite types is an Irish Red.

Leinenkugel beers are some of my favorites. They put out many seasonal beers and i haven't found on i didn't enjoy yet.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Samuel Adams does seasonal varieties and they can range anywhere from "WOW, they should make this all year" to "WTF, did I just drink my own urine?".
                  Current Stable:
                  1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                  1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                  WTB:
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                  1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

...I had some senior pics taken in front of the Olympia breweries waterfall. Never got a taste for that one though.
                    The Oly brewery is still there, but has been closed for years now. Olympia did make some really good beers, they just didn't sell them here. I worked at the brewery in the mid 80s (installing an environmental upgrade) and they would bring samples of all their products to the construction lunch shack a couple times a week after our shift ended. They had a far-east 'export blend' that was really good, and the Mexican export was good too. But in those days the alcohol content was too high to sell in grocery stores, so you never saw it.

Olympia had been a family-owned brewery for years, but when the heir took over it went downhill fast. He got busted cruising the restrooms at a local park (known for years afterward as the 'Olympia Fairy Terminal') and a big part of the family fortune got spent keeping him out of jail. Miller came in and bought them out, but all the advertising in the world couldn't shake off the 'queer beer' name that got attached to the brand and they closed the brewery after not too many years....
                    Last edited by crazy steve; 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

All this talk about Rainier and Oly reminds me of the old commercials from back in the day.. One of my favorites....

http://youtu.be/-qXa9oqKL6E

LOL.......Mickey Rooney

http://youtu.be/ocfToV3xzUY
                      Last edited by BA80; 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

This is the one I remember:

The Rave
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

From my youth:

http://youtu.be/gy8Fhwmu7-o

http://youtu.be/YyNMfXfaboU ah...polka!

http://youtu.be/n4I3PToPmZ8
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

My brew of choice is Newcastle Brown Ale. I am not much for stouts, even though I really wanted to be. If I've been doing yard work or working out in the summer, a galvanized bucket full of ice, Coronas, and lime slices works wonders to recover my positive attitude.

My wife and I took a vacation to Puerta Vallarta a few years back. We took a tour boat to snorkle and dive the local reefs, which was a blast. On the way back in, they provided Sol beer, free, all you can drink. I was really looking forward to getting a cheap buzz before siesta time, but I couldn't drink the stuff, free or otherwise.

That might be the true measure of bad beer: wouldn't drink it for free!
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFrugalTech View Post
                              "WTF, did I just drink my own urine?".
                              That's what it all tastes like
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My usual favorite is Heineken although at a local bike bar they have Bittberg that tastes pretty good. They have some others on tap whose names I can't pronounce or remember, one of those - a dark one - is very tasty.
                                I do like the fuller taste of dark beer, particularly dark Heineken which is produced only during certain times of the year, my dad use to say when they cleaned the vats once a year.. urban myth? I don't know because in P.R. it can be had all year long. In the vein of dark beers, the Mexican XXX, not the XX beer is very good. And the top of the line for Mexican beers, which is VERY GOOD, is Bohemia, a very fine brew for my palate. On the Belgian side Stella Artois is a very fine brew as well. Had an hot Argentinian GF who used to get it for me when we went out on her boat last summer during her boating education. She is of Italian extraction and used to provide me with a homemade Limoncello that was awesome !! But that's another story.
                                Still, for fishing trips, summer outings, and extended wrenching in the heat.... Heineken is hard to beat for $21 a case at Costco...... as a breakfast of champions !!!!
                                1980G Standard, Restored
                                Kerker 4 - 1
                                850 Rear End Mod
                                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                                Automatic CCT
                                1980GH Special, Restored
                                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X