Hoop Style Crash Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoop Style Crash Guard?

Anyone know if a hoop style crash guard from a 750 or and 850 would fit the 1100? I am expecting that the frame tubes are going to be closer together on the smaller ones but figured I would ask.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

I'm no expert, but most of the 'hoop' style crash bars I ever saw were pretty much the same, with the only big difference being where the mounting brackets were welded on. There were some oddballs (like GoldWings), but most vertical motor versions were similar.

They weren't all that popular 'back in the day' as one problem with them was that the cars of that era didn't have the molded-in plastic bumper like today's cars. Contact with a car could result in the car's bumper catching the bar and dragging you down the street, with not good results. I didn't know any old-times that would run them...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, if I am that close I would have already run into them with my fairing and floorboards and would already have enough problems that it probably wouldn't matter anyways.

I am waiting for a response on measurements and all so I will see what that looks like.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

There were 2 different sizes of the rear "hoops" for the 78-81 XS1100, one for Standards and one for Specials. The one for Specials also happen to be what is used on the 750 and 850.
        Current Stable:
        1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
        1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
        1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
        1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
        WTB:
        1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
        1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFrugalTech View Post
          There were 2 different sizes of the rear "hoops" for the 78-81 XS1100, one for Standards and one for Specials. The one for Specials also happen to be what is used on the 750 and 850.
          You wouldn't happen to gave one for a standard in your pile of parts would ya?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have 3 of those in the Garage Nate. If you have the Vetter type fairing mount that clamps to the frame in front of the valve cover you will need to build some kind of spacer/adapter becauost the hoop mounts there on top.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              You wouldn't happen to gave one for a standard in your pile of parts would ya?
              Are you talking front or rear Nate? I read the first post wrong and was thinking the rear guards used with the side bags.
              Current Stable:
              1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
              1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
              1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
              1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
              WTB:
              1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
              1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                I have 3 of those in the Garage Nate. If you have the Vetter type fairing mount that clamps to the frame in front of the valve cover you will need to build some kind of spacer/adapter because the hoop mounts there on top.

That is exactly it Greg! Whatcha want for one! Are they all the same or do some mount differently?
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X