Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fired up my J without the can.... Holy shiite!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired up my J without the can.... Holy shiite!!

Well folks, the nice looking high temp (750 degree) gold paint I used on my exhaust didn't hold up. So I took the manifolds off, stripped them, and repainted them with 2k degree "flameproof" VHT.
    After I re-installed them, I wanted to hear what the bike sounded without the muffler...........
    Holy shiite!!! It was LOUD!!! Sounded bad to the bone.
    Then I put the can on and went for a ride.
    Truth be said, and contrary to common opinions, my J is quicker than my G. That's probably due to the fact that I have an XS850 rear end on the G.
    Regardless, the sound from the RC Engineering exhaust and the quick acceleration was exilerating. Bike feels faster since we replaced the airbox with the K&N pods. Sound is also more racy...... if that's a word....
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Holy Shiite

Around central WI, the law is getting really mean on loud pipes, cars AND cycles. I recently bought some Road King (Hardly) muffs from a guy for $10 each, that put Screamin' Eagle pipes on his new Hardley. He called me yesterday and asked if I would sell them back for a large profit. He must have gotten busted. Glad the cops are enforcing the noise limits. They are even busting cars with loud tunes. Time are hard, and they need money.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Did you sell them back to him rover?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

shiite

nope. they are now on my xs11F, and sound real good.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
          Around central WI, the law is getting really mean on loud pipes, cars AND cycles. I recently bought some Road King (Hardly) muffs from a guy for $10 each, that put Screamin' Eagle pipes on his new Hardley. He called me yesterday and asked if I would sell them back for a large profit. He must have gotten busted. Glad the cops are enforcing the noise limits. They are even busting cars with loud tunes. Time are hard, and they need money.
          Yeah, stock replacement Harley mufflers over the parts counter are about double the price of aftermarket muffs, as I'm sure he found out....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Funny, I just found some Screaming Eagle short sportster mufflers to put on my XJ. I can't wait to hear that nascar sound.

You mentioned having a XS850 rear end on your other bike. I remember a few years ago from being on this forum that there was a gear difference between the 2. Is the XS850 capable of more speed, or shorter for more acceleration? I ask because I have a 78' XS750 and am wondering what the difference would be if anyone knows. I might like a little more top end at some point. My XS11 felt too short for me. My XJ will probably feel the same.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Yard Dogg, so a search on XS750 final drive and I am sure you will find LOTS and LOTS of reading on the subject. There are more than a few opinions on it.

As to the sound level, when I first got Banshee, Varnae gave me an old set of pipes he had, 4-1 with the muffler section just a wide open megaphone. No baffling in there. WOW was that loud at anything more than an idle. I rode it about 1/2 mile up the street and back a few times as I was verifying my repairs on the bike. I got ALOT of looks from neighbors, none of them very cordial or welcoming. I bought a new system ASAP for it.

I honestly can not stand the goofballs who open up their bikes like that. Maybe I just have better hearing than some, but it physically hurts me to be around them.
              Last edited by DGXSER; 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Yeah, if these screaming eagles are too loud then I'll make a fiber glass insert cause I'd like to keep my hearing. I like long rides so too loud will not work. These are baffled, but no telling how much yet. I cranked it over just to listen for difference without starting it and it was a lot quieter than headers alone. We'll see.
                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Yard Dogg, so a search on XS750 final drive and I am sure you will find LOTS and LOTS of reading on the subject. There are more than a few opinions on it.

As to the sound level, when I first got Banshee, Varnae gave me an old set of pipes he had, 4-1 with the muffler section just a wide open megaphone. No baffling in there. WOW was that loud at anything more than an idle. I rode it about 1/2 mile up the street and back a few times as I was verifying my repairs on the bike. I got ALOT of looks from neighbors, none of them very cordial or welcoming. I bought a new system ASAP for it.

I honestly can not stand the goofballs who open up their bikes like that. Maybe I just have better hearing than some, but it physically hurts me to be around them.
                  The threshold for my hearing begins at 95 dbls and those straight pipes hurt my ears too...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I like my bikes loud so I don't get run over by oblivious Audi drivers in my area.

Comment

Working...
                    X