New member, new ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new ride.

Bought a 1980 XS1100 with what appears some kind d of bolting trailer hitch.

Don't know the series. Still have a lot to learn.
    81 BasketCase

Welcome, you came to the right place. Lots of smart folks and always willing to help. Good luck with your bike.
    81 H

Comment

Welcome to the asylum!! We all started out in your position at one time, with lots to learn. Been at this since 2008 and still have lots to learn, but thanks to this site I know a crap load more than I did in 2008.

Post pics of your new ride and I guarantee you will get repsonses that explain exactly what year, and model it is, and perhaps what parts have been swapped for a different year or model. (That tends to happen on a 30 year old bike.)

To post pics, you have to upload them to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, then put the IMG link into your post here.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

It's all in the suffix

Originally posted by GhostWolf View Post
        Bought a 1980 XS1100 with what appears some kind d of bolting trailer hitch.
        Don't know the series. Still have a lot to learn.
        >
        Hi Jon and welcome,
        the last letter sez the year. (E = '78; F = '79; G = '80; H = '81
        If there's no letter before the year designator the bike is a Standard:-
        (Big tank, front axle under the fork, ordinary calipers, 17" rear wheel)
        If there's an S before the year designator the bike is a Special:-
        (Small tank, front axle ahead of the fork, Weird Harold front calipers [the pads are supposed to be tapered]; 16" rear wheel)
        If there's an L before the year designator the bike is a Midnight Special:-
        (Same like a Special but gold-colored bright parts & blacked out engine & exhaust)
        As already posted, you may have a Frankenbike, most parts swap between models like LEGO.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just to clarify what Fred was saying about the suffixes, If you take the first three numbers/letters of your frame/ engine number and post them up. The guys here will be able to tell you exactly what year / model bike you have. That's when the E/F/G/ & H come into it.
          Have a read on the thread "How to Post Photos" which explains exactly what to do to put a photo on the forum.
          I'm intrigued by the trailer hitch and can't wait to see it.
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Will post pics as soon as I get settled in from moving over Labor Day weekend.

The trailer hitch bolts on in two spots on each side of the bike, up by the shock mounts and what looks to be one of the bracket bolts for the passenger pegs. Looks home made, but a fairly well thought out design. Don't know if I will use it, but who knows.
            81 BasketCase

Comment

Anything like this??

79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Very much so, mine is just made out of square tubing.

Now just need to figure out how to upload/link pics from Flickr.
                81 BasketCase

Comment

Working...
                X