careless drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• careless drivers

A guy I have been friends with for 25 years now was in a serious motorcycle accident last night, not sure the specifics other than he was hit by a car. He has several broken bones, a dislocated hip, road rash, plenty of bruises and is in the ICU right now. Thankfully his spine/neck are ok.

If you are so inclined, send prayers or positive thoughts to him and his family for a quick recovery.

This has me shaken and gun shy about riding now. He had been riding motorcycles for 20 years without accident.
    Last edited by pbaker27; 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM.
    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Accidents happen. Just be as careful as you can on what you can control.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I certainly understand how quickly a fun ride can turn into a nightmare. Sorry to hear your friend is going through all that. If he is as firtunate as I am, he will barely know it happened in a year or so, at least form the sense of his physical capabilities. Sending prayers for his speedy recovery and that the food in his hospital is better than what they had in mine. Still not sure how you make a grilled sheese taste like total crap!

As to how those things happen, well, all you know for sure is there is a reason they call them accidents and not an on-purpose. Like John stated, you have to assume every one out there is aiming for you, waiting to hit you any way they can. Doing that you might cut your chances of getting hit or hurt by 20%...Maybe.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Prayers go out to your friend. Took me 40yrs. before it happened avoiding a T-bone @50mph. No gear or helmet(my bad), and a 'get off' at that speed, I was very fortunate with dislocated shoulder, five stitches in forehead and tons of pavement burn, considering I went 135ft. and the scoot after down went 325ft. That was four yrs. ago on my Honda ST. Remember, the more years of riding, the better the chances of this happening....at least once...........it's not 'if'.......just 'when'..........BTW, it's ATGATT for me no matter what the weather conditions may be.
        Last edited by motoman; 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

heard some news, my buddy was hit by a drunk driver in an SUV who was arrested by the police at the scene. My buddy had the bone around his eye, couple ribs, his tail bone andhis pelvic bone broken in two places. ALso, he has one dislocated hip, quite a bit of road rash as well bruises. He is in ICU and will be for at least a week.

His passenger suffered bruises and road rash and has been released from the ER.

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

That driver should be charged with attempted manslaughter.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

They have him on so much painkiller that causes amnesia and he doesn't wake up much. Probably a good thing, I'm sure he is in so much pain and they have him on a venilator so his chest/ribs can heal up.

Comment

Working...
              X