No announcement yet.

New member with a "new" '79 Special and a to-do list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I traced the source of leaking fluid to the forks that I just rebuilt. Seems that either I did something wrong with the rebuild (maybe flipped seals?) or the K&L seals I got aren't particularly good. The Yamaha part number appears to be 3H3-23163-00-00 which also appears to be discontinued. Is there another source or a newer part number that I should be tracking down?

I took the bike out for a spin again today. The 1100 feels much more refined than my 850. It also feels like it has a bit less power. Perhaps a re-jetting is in my future?

I adjusted the idle up to where it will not stall out. Still seems not quite right though. I suspect that I have some clogged slow jets. With time, seafoam, and more riding I expect that they will open up.

The rattling/buzzing noise is definitely from the exhaust. Seems to be around the area of the center stand on the left side of the bike. I only notice it when stopped and revving the engine. No big deal. :-) My shopmate is eager to weld me up a new exhaust for the bike. Maybe I'll cut him loose to do his magic here in another few weeks to give it a more throaty note.

Thanks everyone!
    Current bikes (subject to change):
    [FOR SALE] 1979 XS1100SF Special with a banana seat
    1989 Honda PC800 "The TARDIS" - in the process of a fuel injection conversion
    [SOLD and missed] 1980 XS850 with some secret carb sauce
    [SOLD - no more kick start-only bikes for me] 1979 Honda XL500S "The Gangly Giraffe"
    [SOLD to a friend] 1989 Honda PC800 "Honey Badger Motorcycle" (formerly Nekkid PC)
    [SOLD and missed] 1984 Honda VT700C

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasVB View Post
      - - - I took the bike out for a spin again today. The 1100 feels much more refined than my 850. It also feels like it has a bit less power. Perhaps a re-jetting is in my future? - - -
      >
      Hi Doug,
      if your XS11 has a bit less power than your XS850 either your XS850 was race-tuned by experts or your XS11 is only running on 3 cylinders.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        >
        Hi Doug,
        if your XS11 has a bit less power than your XS850 either your XS850 was race-tuned by experts or your XS11 is only running on 3 cylinders.
        That is very possible on both counts. Before I got the 850, someone else had done some serious work to the carbs. Transitioning between sub-4000 rpms and above 4100 rpms is like riding on a 2 stroke. It goes from normal (what my 1100 feels like) to stuttering (4000-4100 rpm) to someone kicking me in the seat of the pants.

On the 1100 I know that several of the spark plug boots are cracked. For how long it sat, one of the carbs could be completely gummed up, too. Is there a quick test to see if I am losing a cylinder?

Thanks!
        [SOLD - no more kick start-only bikes for me] 1979 Honda XL500S "The Gangly Giraffe"
        [SOLD to a friend] 1989 Honda PC800 "Honey Badger Motorcycle" (formerly Nekkid PC)

Comment

Quick test is to remove one spark plug wire at a time. If there is no change when one is removed that is the suspect cylinder.

John

Also I think there are different part number on standard vs special fork seals (someone correct me if i am remembering wrong) so maybe you got standard seals by mistake?
          Last edited by jwhughes3; 09-04-2012, 11:15 PM.
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Ah perfect test! I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work.

Thanks!

Comment

It's SOP to remove, completely disassemble, and thoroughly clean the carbs. Seafoam is no substitute for a proper cleaning. Period. Wouldn't hurt to clean the tank and replace the fuel lines, if ya haven't already. Then synchronize the carbs, adjust the idle mixture screws, and synch again.

These steps, common with any old motorcycle that has sat for some time, will prolly reveal a newfound power. Good luck.

Comment

You can also feel the exhaust pipes to see which ones are not firing. Do it as the bike warms up, and don't just grab them.
                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I would certainly pull the carbs and go through them thoroughly based upon your recent descriptions.

Best way I know to tell if one cylinder is missing, ride the bike in the miss range for a mile or there abouts, keep it in that miss range. Now spray each header with water. The one that was missing will not steam up as much, and cool to water dripping off it pretty quickly.

As to the fork seals, you may have the wrong ones, they are different from Special to Standard. However, as BikerPhil pointed out to me, when you reassemble the forks the end on the stantion tube can tear the lip on the seal. A couple ways to avoid this, first is to reassemble the fork before you put the new seal in. The other is to put a wrap of plastic like form an empty soda bottle around seal to protect it from the tube till the tube end is past the seal.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I've always just greased the seals, then use finesse. I've tried the sandwich bag trick recommended in quite a few SM's, but I always grease em anyway.
                    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      Quick test is to remove one spark plug wire at a time. If there is no change when one is removed that is the suspect cylinder.

John

Also I think there are different part number on standard vs special fork seals (someone correct me if i am remembering wrong) so maybe you got standard seals by mistake?
                      Ive been saying that since his first post... make sure you get the right ones as the specials are different than the standards...

Sounds like a a full carb clean is in store for you my friend. If you have no desire to get shocked or burnt by a hot cylinder head then we usually recommend using a squirt bottle to mist on the down tube of the exhaust. If you do it within the first 2 minutes of start up then you will find your dead cylinder as they heat up. Just dont let your bike sit idle for xsessive amounts of time without putting a fan on it.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The parts I got for the fork seals were from GeorgeFix. I purchased the "79-81 XS1100 SPECIAL & MIDNIGHT SPECIAL FORK SEALS @ $11.00 = $11.00." which according to http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/the-14/79-dsh-81-XS1100-SPECIAL-%26/Detail seem to fit my bike. Perhaps I tore them when I reassembled the forks. Should I try buying the same seals again or get something different? The ones from GeorgeFix were K&L brand.

It appears that the spark plug wire boot on cylinder #4 wasn't pushed down all the way. Now it runs much better. Also the idle is getting better and I have been able to adjust it back out in slow increments. I plan to rebuild the carbs in the next month or so but when I do, I will probably also go to pod air filters and a custom exhaust. I need to spend some time poking around the forum to see what other people are doing for jet sizes and for exhaust setups.

I took my girlfriend out on a 50 mile spin this evening. She loved it! Here is a photo that she took of me in my shop with the bike:

The Pirelli Sport Demon tires I put on the bike sure make it corner well. :-)

Comment

You will regret getting rid if that stock exhaust if you swap it. The stock exhaust is the best option for these bikes. Yamaha put a lot of time and effort into getting the pipes tuned to these engines and made the power band nice and consistent and smooth throughout. If you change to a different exhausts you will either loose the top it the bottom.end.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You customize that exhaust all you want, lots of folks have modified exhaust on their bikes and tuned them to run quite well. In fact, you can just send that crappy stock POS exhaust system to me, I'll even pay the shipping fees, just to get it out of your way of course.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

If I keep the stock exhaust, will it adversely impact re-jetting or unipods? I was under the impression from working with other bikes that if you derestrict the intake and up the jet size, you will also have to derestrict the exhaust system.

Comment

You will only need to re-jet if you start changing things like the exhaust, intake, cams etc... Carbs are vacuum actuated, so anything that effects vacuum effects carbs and jet sizes. Lower vacuum means bigger jets.

Comment

Working...
                                X