Prices on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices on Ebay

Is it me? Have I been out of the loop too long?? What's up with people on Ebay listing stuff for the XS (let alone any other bike) like shocks, rotors, etc, for $439.00 and such. Are they doing this in the hopes that some dumb nut's actually going to pay that much for an item that can be picked up, fixed or fabricated for allot less? Maybe it's just me but I don't ever remember a set of rear shocks going for $439.00 for the XS.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Let them eat it, you can buy a parts bike for that much or less.
    Other wise maybe a typo.
    81 H

Comment

I've noticed the same thing. These nuts are after the "collector crowd", we may be XS collectors, but we're also XS enthusiasts, who value our money and our bikes!
      Current Ride:
      81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
      Tkat Fork-Brace
      Previously Owned:
      79 XS750 Special

Comment

Capitolism at work, it is a beautiful thing. Asking price, and selling price often are not the same thing.

I thought my great grandfathers mechanical pocket watch dating back to 1904 would be a valuable time piece, then I see them selling for $2-5 on ebay. Yet the local watchmakers that could repair it or even just clean and oil it want $250 to even look at it. Guess who learned how to work on a pocket watch.

I recently ran into someone who bought an XJ1100, when I told them it was a one year production bike in the USA, they instantly thought they struck gold and had a "rare and valuable" bike. I broke it to them softly that they were half correct, it is rare, and parts are rare, but valuable...not so much.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

When eBay changed, albeit slowly, from individuals selling stuff to one another over to being a business these price changes came after.

They are trying to snag someone who doesnt watch prices and comes in cold but needs it now.

Just buy here on forum for most things.....its easier.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Geeze, I look in my garage and think I must be rich.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Geeze, I look in my garage and think I must be rich.
              I've seen your garage, you'd be a gazillionair!!!
              US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
              1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
              1985 Super Glide
              2012 Super Glide

Comment

They must have been looking at the Bob Jones prices as a benchmark.
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

The same thing has happened in the machine side of FleaBay. Couple years ago I could buy tool holders for around eighty to a hundred bucks.
                  Now they are Buy it Now sales and they are tripple the price. I have bought some drill bushings straight from Hardinge for the same money.

Might be 2500 listings but less than a hundred actual "auctions".

I don't even look at Buy it Now anymore.
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

eBay is a good place to advertise. For example; George Fix sells on eBay, now go to www.georgefixs.com. Look! The prices are lower.

Often, a business will have an "About Me" page. That is the only place on eBay where a seller may list a website. Go to that site and get a lower price. I regularly shop on eBay, but rarely buy there.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Part of the issue with Fleabay is THEIR fees. They are up to about 10% of the selling price goes to them. Then they all but require you to use PAYPAL for payment, well, PAYPAL charges the reciever of the funds another 3% for using their service. Then, if you actually want your money form them, it cost you soem more money to get a check from them. So I have no doubt that it is cheaper to buy from another source.

As to it being an auction or sell site, the same thign has happened to what used to be Flea markets. Used to be, you went to these large flea market places and people were selling used or surplus stuff. Now, you go there and all you see is the same people in the same places with the same stuff for sale, like a bunch of small stores. no real savings either.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I agree with you guys. Some prices are out to lunch but i got a pair of dyna DC1-1 coils for my '81 H from bikerbillys on ebay for $120 with free shipping to Canada. Good price and quick delivery too. Have a look at his store. I was also able to negotiate a price we were both happy with. Wish I could say all my ebay experiences were as easy.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post

I recently ran into someone who bought an XJ1100, when I told them it was a one year production bike in the USA, they instantly thought they struck gold and had a "rare and valuable" bike. I broke it to them softly that they were half correct, it is rare, and parts are rare, but valuable...not so much.
                          Honestly, I was a little disappointed, and excited at the same time when I briefly thought I had a collectors. But look what happened in that post. As soon as I mention bobbing it, a bagger lover jumped on there and started pleading (Oh no don't cut the back off they look better with bags). Well, I'm glad you told me it is not a collectors, cause now I'm making it my bike. I already started hacking all the BS out of the harness and adding some Virago Gauge pods, next, the ugly rear fender and bulky gay seat is coming off, then I'm grinding all the brackets off the rear frame tubes. Eat it BAGGERS! This time I'm doing it my way.
                          Last edited by Yard Dogg; 08-26-2012, 11:54 PM.
                          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                            Eat it BAGGERS!
                            Having that arrogant, douchebag like attitude is what will get people pissed off at you...
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Who's pissed at me? I was being sarcastic. Oh, I get it, YOU are pissed off at me. Whah whah. Shut up. Is that arrogant enough? I think you must misunderstand, at that point you should ask yourself questions like, "Hmm, I wonder if this person is just joking? I wonder if this person just hacking on the baggers?"

Jeeze!
                              Last edited by Yard Dogg; 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM.
                              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X